Mini makeover...tips? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-17-2011, 07:30 AM   #29

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / 2002 Honda Odyssey
I second that warning! when I washed our cushions I had to use a 4" plastic tube (piece of PVC drain pipe) to roll/squeeze the water out of them and it still took a really long time before they were dry enough. also if you leave them out in the sun the foam will likely turn dark orange..

Kev

Old 07-17-2011, 08:24 PM   #30

Name: M
Trailer: 1977 13' trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I didn't wash the cushions.

Is there something I can spray on to freshen them up a bit?

Old 07-17-2011, 09:39 PM   #31

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post

I wrestled most of my cushion covers off and washed them in cold water, and then air dried them. They didn't shrink hardly at all. Then I wrestled them back on the cushions. They are made from an Olefin woven upholstery material that they used in the 1980's. There were 3 covers that had the zippers frozen shut so I couldn't wash them. I considered using the hose on them, but I'm sure glad now that I didn't!!
Old 07-17-2011, 10:00 PM   #32

Name: Brian
Trailer: 74 Boler
British Columbia
If there's an automotive detail shop near by they usually have an ozone generator which will take out any smell. I used to have a detail shop so I have the machine still, I don't know where you're located but you'd be welcome to borrow mine. Leave it in the trailer over night and there won't be any smells left
Old 07-18-2011, 01:03 PM   #33

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:

Hi, Melanie

Laying your cushions out for "an airing" on green growing grass is an old housewife's trick, chlorophyll being a natural deodorizer.
When there's no threat of rain, of course!
Leave them for a day or two, turning once or twice.
And of course, there's always Febreze.

Francesca, an old housewife
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #34

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Painting the Frame

If you do attempt to paint the frame and jack up the body enough to get brushes in there make sure you pay close attention to your gas lines. My Boler has copper gas lines running to the stove, fridge, and heater. The fittings are now antique by definition but no leaks yet. (knock on wood) I can't imaging they would flex enough to jack up the body to much.

But I am curious about doing some frame repainting myself. If anyone has experience please chime in.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 07-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #35

Name: M
Trailer: 1977 13' trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
You can use the oxidation cleanser and wax if you want to after all it's yours..But you will work you butt off for very little results, believe me "I'VE BEEN THERE DONE THAT" several times and it not worth the effort..Try the REDMAX way believe me you will be glad you did, BarKeepers Freind will clean it better than just about anything out there and 2 cans will cost you every bit as much as 3 bucks total and you will probably have some left over..And a gallon of RedMax cost around 15 bucks and thats enough to do 5 or 6 campers...as i said you choice....
Randy,

I finally found Barkeepers Friend here in Halifax - how do I use it. Like a paste or diluted in water? $3.99 a can.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #36

Name: Randy
Trailer: (4) Trillium 4500, (4) Trillium 1300, (1) Scamp,(1) Burro 16'
Ardmore, Alabama
Quote:
Randy,

I finally found Barkeepers Friend here in Halifax - how do I use it. Like a paste or diluted in water? $3.99 a can.
What I do is wet the rag sprinkle it on and scrubb away..Repeat....Repeat...Repeat..After awhile you can tell how much and how often you need to re-apply it to the rag.......
Old 07-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #37

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Frame painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markz View Post
If you do attempt to paint the frame and jack up the body enough to get brushes in there make sure you pay close attention to your gas lines. My Boler has copper gas lines running to the stove, fridge, and heater. The fittings are now antique by definition but no leaks yet. (knock on wood) I can't imaging they would flex enough to jack up the body to much.

But I am curious about doing some frame repainting myself. If anyone has experience please chime in.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark,

I paint the frame on our rigs every year, but not to the degree many do on the site.

On the Scamp I can just crawl under with a Rustoleum spray can and spray the frame. I plan on doing it every year. Generally most surfaces are fine after a year though the leading edge surfaces can take a beating on dirt roads. I also spray the entire bottom the same color, in the Scamps case white.

We formerly had a Sunline and I have jacked that up to paint it's frame and Aluminum bottom, black in that case. I simply jacked up each side and put cinder blocks fore and aft under the frame members.

On our Scamp 16 I think I used 5 cans of Rustoleum to do the frame, bottom and the insides of the fiberglass side walls that show underneath.

At one time I had planned to use white Herculiner (truck bed paint) on the bottom but have not done it yet.

I choose white because the former owner had put brushed rustoleum white on all non-underneath frame members.

As to the gas lines, it's a good opportunity to look at them. We have been on some pretty rough, long gravel roads and we have not seen a problem. The copper is pretty flexible.

Norm
Old 07-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #38

Name: Don
Trailer: 1973 Trillium 13'
Alberta
Registry
I had very good luck with Mr. Clean erasers on both the interior and exterior. When I got my green trill, it had lots of black mold and white chalk. The eraser took it all off. It does take a bit of the sheen off the exterior, but I'm building it back up with Zep Laminate Floor Polish from Home Depot.
The eraser did wonders on the ensolite as well.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:37 PM   #39

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:

9. Hubcaps...they are chrome but rusted. How can I make them look better?
An old hot rod trick, clean off the rust. Maybe Naval Jelly. Then get quality aluminum foil and rub the rust spots. The aluminum foil transfers to the rusty rough areas. It won't be as shiny as chrome, but will look better. Spray with CLEAR spray paint to seal.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #40

Name: joy
Trailer: 75 trillium
Nova Scotia
I also washed my trillium cushions which were filthy, had no covers on them. I filled the tub with hot soapy water and oxiclean and soaked them a while then began to squish them around till the water looked like chocolate milk! It took me 4 tubs of hot water before the water was clean and then I squeezed out what I could, took them outside and stood them up till some of the water moved down the foam by gravity and squished some more, then my husband stubbornly mashed them into the washing machine and spun them. A couple days out in the sunshine and they were nice and dry and smelled good. A lot of work to do all six cushions but better than having to buy all new!
Old 07-22-2013, 10:45 PM   #41

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by joygup View Post
I also washed my trillium cushions which were filthy, had no covers on them. I filled the tub with hot soapy water and oxiclean and soaked them a while then began to squish them around till the water looked like chocolate milk! It took me 4 tubs of hot water before the water was clean and then I squeezed out what I could, took them outside and stood them up till some of the water moved down the foam by gravity and squished some more, then my husband stubbornly mashed them into the washing machine and spun them. A couple days out in the sunshine and they were nice and dry and smelled good. A lot of work to do all six cushions but better than having to buy all new!
Hi Joy to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

I see this is your first post and you've already gotten the hang of it by sharing some great knowledge. Cool beans!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote