Mini makeover...tips? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2011, 11:57 AM   #1

Name: M
Trailer: 1977 13' trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
Mini makeover...tips?

I'm hoping to get a few tips on how to clean up our 'new' trillium.

I don't want to do anything too serious until the winter...I really just want it to be clean and fresh...minor cosmetic things for now. Here are the 'top 10'...things I'd like to tackle first:

1. Exterior cleaning... Best cleaning product? Specific type of Spray Nine? What not to use? Quick restoration of gelcoat?

2. Interior cleaning...Best cleaning product on Ensolite (unpainted)?

3. Flooring/Glue removal...I want to remove old vinyl flooring. How can I remove the glue without sanding? Any chemical goop remover safe for fiberglass?

4. Seams...I've read about soaking the trim in hot water, but if this doesn't work, is there trim I can buy to replace it? I don't plan to paint the ensolite either.

5. Door handle...I'd like to replace the door handle...Does anyone know if and where I can get one?

6. Fiberglass repair...If I replace the door handle (with a working lock), I will need to repair small holes when I take the padlock off. Any fiberglass repair advice for screw holes?

7. Belly band...The black plastic strip around belly band is broken and portions of are missing. Anyone know if this can be replaced?

8. Frame...can I paint it without taking the fiberglass shell off the frame? What's the best paint for the frame?

9. Hubcaps...they are chrome but rusted. How can I make them look better?

10. Upholstery...I'd like to cover the cushions with something temporarily until I find the 'right' fabric (1970s retro pink and orange, maybe?). Someone mentioned using table clothes...bedsheets...has anyone done a slip cover without zippers? I can sew a bit. Love to see pics...

Your tips and ideas are very much appreciated...Thank you. Melanie
Attached Thumbnails
t13.jpg   t6.JPG  

5157603_20.jpg   spring 2011 079.jpg  

door.jpg   6631i50_20.jpg  

37105l4_20.jpg   DSCF3614.jpg  

t12.jpg   t2.JPG  

Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #2

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
It looks like your door handle is one of the infamous Bargman L-400 models that are no longer manufactured. I had a brief panic about mine last month thinking I'd have to replace it, but it turned out to be fixable once I paid attention and had a good look at it.

It seems like once in a while they show up on ebay and sell for like a million dollars, so it would be useful to take it off the door and eyeball it closely to see if it can be repaired. My day's worth of exploring the issue also revealed that there aren't any models currently in production that fit the same footprint, which is kind of a PITA.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
for exterior use a boat fiberglass oxidation remover followed by a wax would do wonders, hubcaps a chrome polish , the rust probably will come back but should look good for a while
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / 2002 Honda Odyssey
Hey Melanie, congrats and good luck.

I don't have great answers to all your questions but here are a few of the easy ones:

2. most household cleaners would be fine ( i like fantastic for general cleaning and using TSP for tough stains)for the vinyl side of the ensolite, if you have some black or brown flecks of mould a diluted bleach solution will help to kill the mould, or diluted peroxide if you find chlorine is too strong.

3. for removing the glue on the floor citrus oil solvents (like goo gone) or acetone will dissolve most glues and wont harm the FG. Acetone is harsh to work with but very effective, I used it to remove a stick-on tile floor along with a razor blade scraper that i used carefully).

7.the black plastic strip can be replaced, just go see an rv dealer parts counter, bring in the piece from the door to show them the exact size.

9. s.o.s. pads are very good at getting rid of surface rust and adding shine without much fuss.

10. upholstery, check out tonicliving.com for some cool retro fabrics. we have ordered stuff from them before and were happy with the service.

Kevin
Kevin Poll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:58 PM   #5

Nova Scotia
Registry
Good to know that I may be able to remove the vinyl flooring...I don't mind working hard to get it back to the fiberglass.

Thanks everybody...great ideas and advice so far...
Old 07-11-2011, 09:32 PM   #6

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
I'm hoping to get a few tips on how to clean up our 'new' trillium.

I don't want to do anything too serious until the winter...I really just want it to be clean and fresh...minor cosmetic things for now. Here are the 'top 10'...things I'd like to tackle first:

1. Exterior cleaning... Best cleaning product? Specific type of Spray Nine? What not to use? Quick restoration of gelcoat?

2. Interior cleaning...Best cleaning product on Ensolite (unpainted)?

3. Flooring/Glue removal...I want to remove old vinyl flooring. How can I remove the glue without sanding? Any chemical goop remover safe for fiberglass?

4. Seams...I've read about soaking the trim in hot water, but if this doesn't work, is there trim I can buy to replace it? I don't plan to paint the ensolite either.

5. Door handle...I'd like to replace the door handle...Does anyone know if and where I can get one?

6. Fiberglass repair...If I replace the door handle (with a working lock), I will need to repair small holes when I take the padlock off. Any fiberglass repair advice for screw holes?

7. Belly band...The black plastic strip around belly band is broken and portions of are missing. Anyone know if this can be replaced?

8. Frame...can I paint it without taking the fiberglass shell off the frame? What's the best paint for the frame?

9. Hubcaps...they are chrome but rusted. How can I make them look better?

10. Upholstery...I'd like to cover the cushions with something temporarily until I find the 'right' fabric (1970s retro pink and orange, maybe?). Someone mentioned using table clothes...bedsheets...has anyone done a slip cover without zippers? I can sew a bit. Love to see pics...

Your tips and ideas are very much appreciated...Thank you. Melanie
1. BarKeepers Freind and 4 coats odf RedMax if your gel-coat is not thin in any places might even wet sand the entire trailker with very fine sand paper such as 400 grit...
2. Remove all the cushions and curtains and spray the walls down with a mixture of 1/3 bleach and 2/3 water then use a stiff bristle brush to scrubb it down and wipe clean with a rag..someone on here posted a battery operated bristle brush that they said worked great.keep the windows open and a fan on the fumes are wicked..
3. Lacquer thinner will get the really bad glue off and it didn't hurt my fiberglass but I did loose a few brain cells in the process I think...
4. Remove the old vinyl seam tape...don't soak it but boil it in a mixture of some type cleanser such as Simple Green and water about 1/3 to 2/3 for at least 10 minutes let stand til cool and wipe it down and re-install it ..it can be a little trying in some places but take your time and it will go back in place..Mine looked brand new..
5.I really, really didn't want to do this but since I've got 2 already on standby let the bidding begin...Bargman L400 door latch | eBay
6. You really need to do search on fiberglas repair on this one because it a little complicated...
7. It can be bought at most RV dealers or even on E-Bay...Rv trailer 3/4" Vinyl INSERT TRIM MOLDING 50' new black | eBay..Just make sure you get the right size it comes in 1" and 3/4"........
8. Yes it can and one way I did mine was put it up on jack stands and used a small side grinder with a wire brush on it..then used Por 15 paint..
9.Might sand them down and paint them...or do as I done and buy yourself a set of 14" Ford Ranger Aluminum Rims they will bolt right on and they will give you a little more ground clearance..got most of mine for around $100 for 4 make sure you get the center caps because they are very expensive..a good place to watch is Craiglist.
10. I sewed new covers for mine including zippers..if you need some zippers let me know I bought a 500' roll with 500 YKK guides..still got plenty..Hope this helps RANDY
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
If you are only wanting to replace the door handle because it is missing the "tumbler and lock" a locksmith might be able to help.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:34 AM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
A locksmith repaired our door. I think it has a Bargman lock. Then I found keys at a key place that smelled as old as I think it was.

Do a search for ideas on the forum. Plenty of them. Try using "pictures" as your term. It popped up info about Red Max and redos for me.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:19 AM   #9

Nova Scotia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
1. BarKeepers Freind and 4 coats odf RedMax if your gel-coat is not thin in any places might even wet sand the entire trailker with very fine sand paper such as 400 grit...
2. Remove all the cushions and curtains and spray the walls down with a mixture of 1/3 bleach and 2/3 water then use a stiff bristle brush to scrubb it down and wipe clean with a rag..someone on here posted a battery operated bristle brush that they said worked great.keep the windows open and a fan on the fumes are wicked..
3. Lacquer thinner will get the really bad glue off and it didn't hurt my fiberglass but I did loose a few brain cells in the process I think...
4. Remove the old vinyl seam tape...don't soak it but boil it in a mixture of some type cleanser such as Simple Green and water about 1/3 to 2/3 for at least 10 minutes let stand til cool and wipe it down and re-install it ..it can be a little trying in some places but take your time and it will go back in place..Mine looked brand new..
5.I really, really didn't want to do this but since I've got 2 already on standby let the bidding begin...Bargman L400 door latch | eBay
6. You really need to do search on fiberglas repair on this one because it a little complicated...
7. It can be bought at most RV dealers or even on E-Bay...Rv trailer 3/4" Vinyl INSERT TRIM MOLDING 50' new black | eBay..Just make sure you get the right size it comes in 1" and 3/4"........
8. Yes it can and one way I did mine was put it up on jack stands and used a small side grinder with a wire brush on it..then used Por 15 paint..
9.Might sand them down and paint them...or do as I done and buy yourself a set of 14" Ford Ranger Aluminum Rims they will bolt right on and they will give you a little more ground clearance..got most of mine for around $100 for 4 make sure you get the center caps because they are very expensive..a good place to watch is Craiglist.
10. I sewed new covers for mine including zippers..if you need some zippers let me know I bought a 500' roll with 500 YKK guides..still got plenty..Hope this helps RANDY
Randy, Do you fold the vinyl trim to fit in the belly band? Melanie
Old 07-12-2011, 07:22 AM   #10

Nova Scotia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
If you are only wanting to replace the door handle because it is missing the "tumbler and lock" a locksmith might be able to help.
Thank you! I think the lock is the only part missing...the latch works fine! I was just about to place a bid for Randy's Bargman L400 on ebay, but I may hold off now.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:31 AM   #11

Nova Scotia
Registry
A couple more...

1b. How do you clean the top of the camper? Is it strong enough to sit up there on the roof?

11. Where do you get 'butyl tape'?
Old 07-12-2011, 07:34 AM   #12

Nova Scotia
Registry
Has anyone tried oxygen bleach (like Oxyclean powder)? Inside or out?

What about Tilex?
Old 07-12-2011, 07:36 AM   #13

Nova Scotia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
for exterior use a boat fiberglass oxidation remover followed by a wax would do wonders, hubcaps a chrome polish , the rust probably will come back but should look good for a while
Any brandnames for the 'boat fiberglass oxidation remover'? Brand of wax?
Old 07-12-2011, 07:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Randy, Do you fold the vinyl trim to fit in the belly band? Melanie

You cup it a small amount then mash it into place as you go around the camper I put a strip of construction adhesive at each end to keep it from drawing back in weather changes also "DON'T" stretch it as you replace it..( A good idea would be to keep it in the refrigerator before you install it).....It's not difficult at all..I later removed "ALL" of mine and replaced the band with a car trim after fiberglassing the crack closed to stop any future leaks and to stop the small pieces of metal the band attaches to from swelling anymore and causing the small bulges you see down the side...
Old 07-12-2011, 08:06 AM   #15

Quote:
A couple more...

1b. How do you clean the top of the camper? Is it strong enough to sit up there on the roof?

1B. Cleaned mine with a mixture of 1/3 bleach and 2/3 water because after washing it and scrubbing on it for a couple of days you could still see dark spots all over the top ..I figured out later it had to be some type mold staining the inside of the gel-coat because even sanding would not get rid of it.... but the bleach mixture sure did and if I had done that first it would have saved a heap of elbow grease and back pain...

11. I've bought most of mine from E-bay because every R.V. store I've been to wants to ROB you blind...I bought a box of it once...I think there were over 15 rolls in it for $15.00 the kicked was it cost $18.00 to ship it. Still a lot cheaper than the $19.00 per roll they wanted at the RV shop...
Old 07-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #16

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
i used a brand called starbrite, got it in boating section of Fleet Supply.
Wax was Nufinish.
I originally washed outside with tilex, wet sanded with 2000 grit sand paper then did the oxidation removing and waxing, if I did it over again would have skipped the sanding. my trailer requires a ladder and long arms to do roof, not much supporting Scamp roofs I actually used a swiffer mop to scrub and apply wax to roof
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:11 AM   #17

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
Quote:
A couple more...

Hey Melanie,
I seriously don't recommend sitting on the roof of your Trillium....It's not designed to hold much weight. You can clean the roof area standing on a ladder and using a boat brush on a pole.
As for the butyl tape, I got mine from an RV place but I know I've seen it at Lordco and Canadian Tire...Baring those places you could always try a glass place.
Good luck with your sprucing up!
Cheers! Emily
Emily R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:23 AM   #18

Quote:

You can use the oxidation cleanser and wax if you want to after all it's yours..But you will work you butt off for very little results, believe me "I'VE BEEN THERE DONE THAT" several times and it not worth the effort..Try the REDMAX way believe me you will be glad you did, BarKeepers Freind will clean it better than just about anything out there and 2 cans will cost you every bit as much as 3 bucks total and you will probably have some left over..And a gallon of RedMax cost around 15 bucks and thats enough to do 5 or 6 campers...as i said you choice....
Old 07-12-2011, 08:31 AM   #19

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / 2002 Honda Odyssey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily R. View Post
Hey Melanie,
I seriously don't recommend sitting on the roof of your Trillium....It's not designed to hold much weight. You can clean the roof area standing on a ladder and using a boat brush on a pole.
As for the butyl tape, I got mine from an RV place but I know I've seen it at Lordco and Canadian Tire...Baring those places you could always try a glass place.
Good luck with your sprucing up!
Cheers! Emily
I agree with Emily about the roof, it's not strong enough to put much of your weight on. One thing that has been suggested is supporting the roof with 2x4s on the inside as jacks, cut and fasten a short piece to make a "tee" on the top part to distribute the roof load better on the jack and then cut the long part to fit just snug standing up from the trailer floor to the roof.
That'll keep the roof from buckling if you are leaning on it as you work off of a ladder, and if you plan to keep the trailer outside in the winter you can use them to help the roof from sagging if you get a serious dump of snow.

Kev
Kevin Poll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #20

Trailer: Trillium 4500
What Randy said!
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote