Mity-Lite has a new look - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2006, 06:10 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Custom Deluxe
The Mity-Lite has a new paint job and new owners. The remodel is done and the little trailer has new owners. The new owners are from Kansas City, MO. I just finished the paint job last week and repainted the frame this week. Since I got the 5th wheel, I don't need two trailers. I hope to use the 5th wheel more now that I am retired. The pictures show the paint job in progress.
Attached Thumbnails
006_6_0002.jpg   DSCN7088.jpg  

DSCN7164.jpg   DSCN7168.jpg  

DSCN7173.jpg  
Mike-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think the Mity-Lite is such a totally cool concept. Do we know the lucky new owners??
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:38 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
XLNT!!!

Very nice job, and the new owners are lucky you took such care to make it nicer for them!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
Did you post this for sale on this baord? Bet you'd have gotten many offers. This is the most appealing concept for a small camp trailer that I've ever seen. My Scamp tows beautifully, but this surely would tow better. Pop the top and you have an instant, functional living space. I've imagined a teardrop trailer with a hinged or articulated roof that would lift up, but this just nails that goal. I wish there were more of these. Somebody should redesign it and start manufacturing...
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:35 PM   #5

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
Quote:
Somebody should redesign it and start manufacturing...

I was thinking that same thing- how does something this awesome and functional ever go out of production anyway?
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:51 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
I've imagined a teardrop trailer with a hinged or articulated roof that would lift up,
Aliner has already done it

Lil Demon

The Miti Lite was a much better idea tho! You could stay in there when it rains and not have to go out to cook (Or grab beer)
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:01 AM   #7

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Somebody should redesign it and start manufacturing...
I was thinking that same thing- how does something this awesome and functional ever go out of production anyway?

Probably one of the following:

1) Priced enough higher than competition due to extra manufacturing costs that buyers were unwilling to purchase.

2) Ahead of its time. Introduced during times of cheap gas prices and large SUV tow vehicles.

3) Marketing problems. All funds went into manufacturing and not enough left over for introducing the produce effectively to the market.

The Compact Jr. and its various iterations were a similar idea, but more squared off and "simple minded" in layout and design. The Westfalia conversions to a VW bus were also very similar in concept. I think with present day rising fuel prices and downsized cars that are owned by most folks, a unit of this type could be produced successfully.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
It would be even better if both ends of the top raised up like the Sportsmobile and you could put a bed up there.

We have a VW Westfalia and love it for camping. However, traveling in it in the HOT and COLD is what is making us think about a small trailor. Maybe we should just convert it to a trailer???
Jan Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:07 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...I think with present day rising fuel prices and downsized cars that are owned by most folks, a unit of this type could be produced successfully.
While this makes logical sense, I think the opposite is true in the reality of the RV market.

More people are driving large SUVs and pickup trucks than ever before, and those vehicles are getting more capable. The trend in RVs of all types is still [b]"bigger and better"; it has been for a long time, fuel prices have been rising at the same time, and yet the RVs just get bigger. If the lightweight car in the family can't tow the desired trailer, the family just gets a bigger vehicle as well. At an RV show, I hung around the Trillium Outback for a while, and while most people thought it was "cute", all immediately dismissed it when they saw the price - for them, such a small trailer was a whimsical toy, not something they put any value in. We disagree, but we're a small minority.

I think the Mity-Lite is a clever design, but I think there is [b]very little market for a unit of its type. The Lil Demon may have recently appeared, but the similar (although not pop-up) R-Vision Cassette failed after only a couple years on the market, despite a splashy introduction (newspaper features, for instance). Similarly, the Westfalia camper version of the Volkswagen Eurovan is gone, and very few were sold in its final years.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:20 PM   #10

Trailer: Miti Lite 1987
April 10, 2011
For the record, we have a white '87 Mity Lite that we tow with an '03 Subaru Forester (24mpg towing). The Mity is equipped with a rear fixed window, tongue mounted spare, 3 burner stove, Olympic Cat vented catalytic heater with thermostat, side and seat cushions, sink w/12v water pump and 6gal undercounter freshwater tank and diverter valve for outside shower, external grey water drain outlet to portable tank, 30ft 20A extension shore power cord, 12v storage battery, 800W inverter, tongue mounted 5# propane tank, chassis mounted gas pipe to front and rear, tongue area light, and an overnight spot for a portable AC (top up and shore power only). It also has a rear 2" receiver type hitch for mounting cargo platform or bike carrier.
NOT FOR SALE but maybe swap for 35ft airstream motorhome
-Pete, in Lakewood WA USA peder_y2k@yahoo.com
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:57 AM   #11

Hey Pete, welcome to FiberglassRV! I originally posted in this thread nearly four years ago... I STILL think the Miti-Lite is totally cool! You should take it to a close-by gathering so others can see it in person: June 10-12, 2011: Taidnapum (WA State) Get-Together
Old 04-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #12

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mc View Post
Did you post this for sale on this baord? Bet you'd have gotten many offers. This is the most appealing concept for a small camp trailer that I've ever seen. My Scamp tows beautifully, but this surely would tow better. Pop the top and you have an instant, functional living space. I've imagined a teardrop trailer with a hinged or articulated roof that would lift up, but this just nails that goal. I wish there were more of these. Somebody should redesign it and start manufacturing...
here you go....
Alto - By Safari Condo
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #13

Name: Michael
Trailer: Mity Lite
Oregon
Registry
Here is mine. It is Mity-Fun
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00798.jpg  
Glass Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #14

Michael, are you coming to the Oregon Gathering in Bandon in July? We'd love to meet you and see your Mity Lite!
Old 04-13-2011, 07:48 AM   #15

Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Registry
I love the look of this camper! I've never seen one before... great paint job.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #16

Trailer: Mity Lite
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Michael, are you coming to the Oregon Gathering in Bandon in July? We'd love to meet you and see your Mity Lite!
Sounds fun, but I don't think I will be able to make it.
Glass Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:08 AM   #17

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Oh so cute trailers! Thanks everyone for posting pic's. Congrat's to the new owners, and Welcome to all the newbies! Glad you joined us...................
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Man View Post
Sounds fun, but I don't think I will be able to make it.
Rats. I've never seen a Miti Lite in person, bet most of the other gatherers haven't either. Sigh. Maybe 2012?