Mold in our Compact !! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 1973 Compact II
Mold in our Compact !!

It has bee en a while since we have taken our little Burger Box out. We are getting it ready to use soon. But there is a very musty smell and some white sorta dust over everything.
Does any one know how we can keep from having to clean everything out each time we get her out to use?
We have sealed the windows but it does get condensation each winter.

However just being inside brings back so many memories of all the fun it is.especially the looks we get from passerby's .
CherylT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #2

might have the answer

I have been reading old posts. There were lots of ideas but not a lot of info about what did woIk. i have tried damp rid. Still searching.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:18 AM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Ventilation is what you need..... I'm in Pa which is just about the same weather you get (rain or humid most of the time) and i open two side windows about an inch each and the roof vent about an inch..... We have the Maxx Air side window covers and the Maxx Air roof vent cover to keep the rain out and i get no odors or mildew inside the trailer. Sealing it up tight is not a good thing as it invites condensation. Standing your cushions on edge while in storage would be a big help as condensation collects on the bottom side of the cushions.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:54 AM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
When we bought our trailer I gave it a good cleaning with Clorox Outdoor Bleach.Click image for larger version

Name:	d7a51e8b-6e12-470e-adf9-bd2701f8214b_400.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	35694 Clorox.com | Clorox Outdoor Bleach Cleaner This stuff works GREAT. Also use it inside the house.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:58 AM   #5

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
My DRY and Cozy little '73 Compact II

I agree with Joe...I leave mine in the garage (lucky me to have a nice big garage) with a window open AS WELL AS WITH DryZ-the-Air Crystals in their container on the kitchen sink. In Oregon, we get even more WET little moisture particles than PA!
Even running the electric heater every two or three weeks, would be a nice idea.
BB
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:52 AM   #6

BB
You know first hand where you live the value of "Ventilation" I have fabricated many winter boat covers over the years and the ones that are shrink wrapped with no ventilation in the cover are saturated with moisture when opened in the spring and have that mildew smell. And the covers i made with breathable cotton duct where nice and dry inside.
Joe
Old 05-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Cheryl, I totally agree with what the others have suggested. I normally start the year out by washing the cushion covers, curtains and all the surfaces in the trailer that I can. After that when I put the trailer away after a trip I leave the fridge open, bathroom door open and do not leave anything in the trailer that may be damp or dirty including the throw rugs on the floor. Before putting it away for winter it gets another big clean out and I pull everything out of the various storage areas to make sure there is nothing hiding that may not winter well! Always find something and wonder how/when it got there.

Leaving a window or vent open a little bit and the use of Dry-z crystals also get my vote. I recently added a Max Air vent on a side window so I can leave it open if its sitting outside - that vent is well worth getting if you dont have one - it helps with controlling mosture in the trailer while camping in the rain as well. It all seems to be working as a fellow boater took a look inside the trailer this winter and one of his comments was that he was suprised as to how little smell there was due to the trailers age and the fact it had been sitting for a number of months.

Get out there and enjoy it!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #8

Thank you all for the info.

I really appreciate all the help. It all makes a lot of sense.I am very sensitive to the mold with asthma.

We do love our Little Burger Box and look forward to using it.

Thanks again.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:01 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I recently added a Max Air vent on a side window so I can leave it open if its sitting outside - that vent is well worth getting if you dont have one - it helps with controlling mosture in the trailer while camping in the rain as well.
Carol, where did you get your Max Air vent? They look like they would be a good addition for a trailer with slider windows, especially in our climate!
Mike Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:53 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Here is a link.

Window/Maxx | Latest

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Morrison View Post
Carol, where did you get your Max Air vent? They look like they would be a good addition for a trailer with slider windows, especially in our climate!
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:06 AM   #11

maxair

They look great. I am not sure they will work for us. On the Compact II the windows have a slant to them.But we will look for them. A good thing for us is we live real close to the Camper Exchange in Belleville.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:05 AM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Besides bleach, another thing that will kill mold is vinegar. Of course, you may not want your Compact to smell like that.

Bbuehler, I laughed when I read your comment about "WET little moisture particles." I was trying to imagine what DRY moisture particles might be like.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:22 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Morrison View Post
At the Camping World in Burlington. I actually got the idea last fall from another Escape owner. ;-)

Carol
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:43 PM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
OK - so I am a BAAAD boy!

I left my second lil guy - a Surfside - outside all winter. Now it has black, furry mold all over the entire inside.

TILEX Penetrating mold killer (gets the roots of the mold, too!) is awesome!

Sprayed it on the front half of the inside, just to see what would happen, and to have a contrast with the un-sprayed area.

20 min later, it was pure white again, no trace of mold, no sign it had ever been moldy! Where it drips and runs off, it forms a yellow-ish rubbery mound, but, hey! The trailer is now clean and clear and looks new again!

I got it at Lowes in Bellingham, Wa.

(now I have to get some more, to finish the trailer!)
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:40 AM   #15

TILEX ....... I've heard from so many people that Tilex is the best. I have to give it a try someday.
Joe
Old 05-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #16

We were at Lowes today. We will try either the tilex or the clorox..
Our little Burger box is starting to look great again.

Thanks again for all the 411.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:35 AM   #17

Name: Chris
British Columbia
+1 for Tilex.

It did wonders for our Trillium last month. I figured, after 15 years outside/uncovered in Saskatchewan, what's the worst that Vancouver could do? I was so wrong. One winter and 80% of the ensolite was covered in black mold when I picked it up. Tilex just made it vanish.

In the words of my neighbour who came to see how well the Tilex dealt with the mold: "Where did it go?"

Chris P.
chrispy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispy35 View Post
+1 for Tilex.

It did wonders for our Trillium last month. I figured, after 15 years outside/uncovered in Saskatchewan, what's the worst that Vancouver could do? I was so wrong. One winter and 80% of the ensolite was covered in black mold when I picked it up. Tilex just made it vanish.

In the words of my neighbour who came to see how well the Tilex dealt with the mold: "Where did it go?"

Chris P.
Thats it. Tilex is what we will try.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #19
Baj

Name: Baj
Trailer: 96 Scamp 16' SD
North Carolina
So you can spray Tilex directly onto the ratfur? I'm assuming it has bleach in it...won't that discolor or leave bleach marks on the ratfur?
Baj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:47 PM   #20

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I think we're using Tilex on Ensolite, that's what I used. Ensolite is not Rat Fur.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote