Mold in Sink Drain Hose - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2016, 05:39 PM   #1

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Mold in Sink Drain Hose

After searching the forums, I'm back again with one last "winterizing" question. First year owner here!

I have some dark discolorations in my Scamp bathroom sink drain hose. Probably black mold?

I filled the drain hose with a bleach and water solution but it has not resolved the problem after 24 hours.

Other suggestions for cleaning or is it a permanent stain?
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:54 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Try 30 seconds outdoor cleaner; does mold and mildew well. Can get at most hardware stores.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I bought a long bottle brush, disconnected the drain line and cleaned the inside of the line in just a few seconds. Not sure that you can easily determine if the black stuff in drains is mold or even if it matters,but you can also buy white plastic loom cover of the right size at Harbor Freight if your concern is cosmetic. You will just have to remember not to drink out of the gray tank after that.
I just remodeled my kitchen and replaced the plastic drain lines under the sink in the process... One look at those normal 20 YO kitchen drains and you would have no worries about the tygon tubing in your camper.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:49 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Colorado
TankTechs Rx is a product made by SCD Probiotics

"Galley tank odors have ruined more RVing activities than the black tanks ever do. After cleaning thousands of holding tanks from across the nation, TankTechs.com has learned that the most frequent source of offensive odor in an RV is the galley/gray Tank. Galley tanks are the perfect environment for grease and mold growth as well as E. coli bacteria. Galley tanks typically are vented under the sink with a special cap to prevent tank gases from entering the RV. Nothing stops the gases from entering the coach through dry sink or shower traps. The industry recognizes this issue and is experimenting with new collapsible sink traps to stop the odor back flow. Not only are the odors offensive and annoying, but mold odor can be dangerous. TankTechs.com, the originator of TankTechs Rx, strongly recommends that galley tanks be treated, especially in motor homes while traveling. An open window can create a vacuum in the tank and pull the gases out of the tank to the open window, filling the coach."

This product is incompatible with bleach or other disinfectants as it is a probiotic and kills the mold and other "stinkys" by bacterial action. Go to their site and watch the videos.
Silver River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:02 AM   #5

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
If you start with cleaning the translucent drain hoses under the sink, you might be on your way to accept the challenge and go on and on, and on. Whatever is down from the drain traps and down from the commode valve is never going to be pristine after the first use. The traps should be cleaned out occasionally, so they work as designed. I don't believe that killing with chlorine whatever lives down there, is the answer. Just keep it where it belongs and all will be happy. If sewer gas or anything comes up through the traps is probably a sign that the tank vents are clogged and should be inspected and cleaned ASAP.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:55 AM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver River View Post
"Galley tank odors have ruined more RVing activities than the black tanks ever do. After cleaning thousands of holding tanks from across the nation, TankTechs.com has learned that the most frequent source of offensive odor in an RV is the galley/gray Tank. Galley tanks are the perfect environment for grease and mold growth as well as E. coli bacteria. Galley tanks typically are vented under the sink with a special cap to prevent tank gases from entering the RV. Nothing stops the gases from entering the coach through dry sink or shower traps. The industry recognizes this issue and is experimenting with new collapsible sink traps to stop the odor back flow. Not only are the odors offensive and annoying, but mold odor can be dangerous. TankTechs.com, the originator of TankTechs Rx, strongly recommends that galley tanks be treated, especially in motor homes while traveling. An open window can create a vacuum in the tank and pull the gases out of the tank to the open window, filling the coach."

This product is incompatible with bleach or other disinfectants as it is a probiotic and kills the mold and other "stinkys" by bacterial action. Go to their site and watch the videos.
Unlike galley tanks (Nautical?) the Scamp gray water tank is vented by a loop of tygon tubing exiting through the floor next to and directly from the tank itself.
The sink in question has no vent near it. It has a trap then a filter under the floor, then a pump which pumps the water to the gray tank near the back of the trailer. It would be very difficult for any odors to find their way back through the sink with this design.

Unlike bulgemobiles, most small fiberglass trailer owners are careful about what goes down the drain, ours is almost entirely shower water with a little soap. It is an easy task to clean the 18 gallon gray tank on a Scamp13.
It is more of an imperative to keep the fresh water supply side clean and free from contaminants, odors, and stagnation and, due to the complexity, a bit more difficult.

Probiotics , such as RID-X, work fine on septic systems or even large tanks with the long exposure times necessary to be effective.
They do not work well without biological waste on which to feed.
Small campers are emptied too often and they usually contain too much soapy water for biologicals to be effective.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:26 AM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I have never scrubbed out the plumbing drains or vents in my residence to remove mildew or mold. I realize that you can see the mold /mildew / whatever because the drain line is clear. Why not just paint it or cover it . Out of sight Out of mind.
Your potable water tank is clear / opaque and your black and gray tanks are black. One you need to visually inspect , with the others it's not necessary.
As Floyd said you have to remember to drink from the correct tank !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:49 AM   #8

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
OK, I'm convinced. The drain hoses have been sanitized. The rest is cosmetic and I'll ignore it. Thanks for all the responses.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:08 PM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by herons View Post
OK, I'm convinced. The drain hoses have been sanitized. The rest is cosmetic and I'll ignore it. Thanks for all the responses.
Now you can move on to your kitchen sink drain in your house. I have to clean my drain and trap every year or so, and a more disgusting substance would be hard to find. But its a drain, with a water trap to prevent odors (except except for any disgusting substance above the trap of course), and since it is not clear pipe you never have to see it until the draining gets too slow.

By the way, I would have to look at it, but I suspect it would be easier to replace the clear drain pipe rather than clean it. And not much more expensive.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:27 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
I'm back again with one last "winterizing" question. First year owner here!
AND - don't count of this one being your 'last' question. This is an on-going forum, with loads of answers. Keep on asking !
Old 10-19-2016, 06:12 PM   #11

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Liquid Drano, follow the directons and forgetaboutit !
Now for the clear pipe: Take your OCD meds and forgetaboutit.
Now if you cant forgrtaboutit, get a spraycan of black paint, paint the clear pipe black and forgetaboutit.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:57 PM   #12

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
A lot of funky drain odors can be resolved with a handful of baking soda and some warm water

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:08 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
This stuff is designed for your black tank, and for your grey.
Attached Thumbnails
odor.jpg  
Old 10-20-2016, 12:43 AM   #14

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Of course there was mold in the drain. Damp location plus organic matter and mold is pretty much a given as those spores are basically everywhere out there in nature.

What would be surprising is not to find any mold inside a drain that does not have a daily does of strong detergents moving through it but does have water in the P trap which provides that continual source of moisture for that colony.

Go for a waterless trap, one brand name is Hepvo
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:03 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
mold is pretty much a given as those spores are basically everywhere out there in nature.
It seems Earth is now generally considered a hostile place for humans!
To paraphrase an old song...
Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows, everything's carcinogeous and sure to come your way! When you're alive, when you're alive, at least until Tuesday!
Old 10-23-2016, 06:16 PM   #16

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The paranoia comes from news media stories about a special kind of mold that is toxic but is not very common. That toxic stuff is not the everyday, and literally a garden variety, of mold that typically shows up around our houses and trailers.

A little more education in the news stories about the fact that most mold found in houses is not that toxic stuff would go a long ways to reducing the paranoia.

But of course you can get sensitized over time from breathing large quantities of the garden variety of black mold. But the stink of it in a trailer will likely drive you out before you get sensitized to it
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote