Mold, Mildew, and old foam - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Trails West
Illinois
Mold, Mildew, and old foam

I am seeing if I can refurbish some old, yet decent, foam cushions from a travel trailer. At one time the trailer leaked and the foam smells a bit mildewed. I came across this suggestion to use baking soda and vinegar. It looks plausible. I was wondering if anyone here had tried it. Here is the link

How to Remove a Mildew Smell in Foam Cushions | eHow.com

Bill
Bill K Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #2

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
It's almost impossible to get the mold out from the cells inside the foam. Also, foam does not age well, will slowly get less firm and start to decompose(stuff will look like sand on the inside of the covers when you take them off. It's not that expensive to just replace. Had my boat cushions recovered a few years ago and the upholsterer recommended the foam be replaced too-it was about 15 years old(but exposed to the sun a lot too). New foam made a big difference in comfort. Just my opinion.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #3

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
It is impossible to remove mold spores from porous surfaces. You may have success with that method for reducing the musty odor though. Even dead spores can cause allergic reactions to sensitive people, so it is best to replace the affected materials. I got this info from a mold inspection class I attended.
Older foam cushions tend to get stiff with age. I replaced all my 10 year old 16' Scamp cushions just to get the new resiliency back. The set was $ 220.00 for medium density foam.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #4

Illinois
Thanks. Any suggestions where to buy foam? I have looked in some fabric shops, but it seems expensive there.

Bill
Old 04-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Have you considered checking out a wrecking yard and seeing if you can get replacement foam out of an old moho or conversion van? It cuts like butter with an electric knife. Just a suggestion if new is not in the budget.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #6

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K Jr View Post
Thanks. Any suggestions where to buy foam? I have looked in some fabric shops, but it seems expensive there.

Bill
I got mine from an Upholstery Fabric Outlet. They had differing grades priced accordingly. I went with a medium quality and density. They said it should last 10 years. The 4" thickness provides good comfort, and I am a side sleeper. 5" would be better, but would require new upholstery.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:46 PM   #7

Illinois
Donna,

That's an interesting idea. I also thought of looking at furniture at Goodwill etc. I do like outlet stores, I'll need to see if there is one nearby.

Bill
Old 04-09-2012, 05:42 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Bill be sure to check the price of new-replacement before shopping. That way you'll know if what you see in an outlet store or wrecking yard is a good deal or not. Good luck on the hunt!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote