Mold on Inside of Spare Tire Cover - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2016, 11:14 PM   #1

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
Mold on Inside of Spare Tire Cover

As I was washing the Scamp yesterday, I pulled off the vinyl cover over the spare tire and found mold all over the inside of the cover. Two months ago the cover was still looking pretty new!

I know this is the Pacific Northwet, we have been breaking rainfall records, and I was washing the trailer because the belly band was turning green

The spare tire has been removed and the area cleaned. Without a garage or other storage, along with the plan to winter camp, the spare tire will be mounted back on. Carrying the spare in the tv is not an option.

What have others done? Leave the cover off during the rainy season? Don't use a cover? I could cut out some vinyl and replace with mesh for airflow, but haven't figured out where - either it will get wet inside from rain or roadwash.

Thanks in advance for your comments!
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:22 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
I don't think there is really a problem with the spare having some mold on it. Kind of comes with the area you're in and having it covered with limited air flow. It won't hurt it's performance for road use. Just a thought but maybe keeping it on a couple 2x4's off the ground under the TT in the shade without the cover on it would work for you between trips. No UV and plenty of air. I'm only guessing as I live in the desert and with 15% humidity or less and 120+ summer temps, mold/rust isn't something I deal with. Now UV is another story for me . Others should be along soon with what they do.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:32 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker View Post
What have others done? Leave the cover off during the rainy season? Don't use a cover? I could cut out some vinyl and replace with mesh for airflow, but haven't figured out where - either it will get wet inside from rain or roadwash.

Yes the Scamp spare cover collects water, and in fact... on mine, water collected and remained in the wheel where it was against the camper's body. The fiberglass and the cover were looking rough after less than a year.

I would not forgo the cover however. It is there to help protect the spare from premature aging from UV (sunlight). Just plan on replacing the cover every so often when it gets bad enough.

Or do like I did, and remove the spare altogether, store it inside a building out of the sun when the camper is not used, and in the trunk or bed of the tug when on the road. (That has the side benefit on my 16 of getting the thought weight closer to where it should be, but likely not an issue on 13).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:05 AM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I found that debris and collect inside of the spare cover as well. No big mold growth, though. I try to put it on so that the water can drain out of it, by simply placing the slit carefully and leaving a gap.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:11 AM   #5

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I had a similar problem when backpacking. The rain would collect in the bottom of my pack cover - same basic design as the Spare Tire cover.

My solution was to put a couple of grommets in the bottom. This allows the water to drain out.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:05 AM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
The main reason for the cover is to prevent UV exposure from the sun which will damage your tire and damage to the rim from abrasion from road debris. If you have mould you have a moisture problem. This moisture may also rust your rim. Wash off the visible mould with soap and water and dry the cover. Remove the cover and dry it as necessary when you are on the road. If possible, store your spare and the cover inside when you're not traveling. You may also be able to put an opening in the bottom of the cover to allow drainage.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:06 AM   #7

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Not to worry as you got snow today.

Quote:
As I was washing the Scamp yesterday, I pulled off the vinyl cover over the spare tire and found mold all over the inside of the cover. Two months ago the cover was still looking pretty new!

I know this is the Pacific Northwet, we have been breaking rainfall records, and I was washing the trailer because the belly band was turning green

The spare tire has been removed and the area cleaned. Without a garage or other storage, along with the plan to winter camp, the spare tire will be mounted back on. Carrying the spare in the tv is not an option.

: snow in BC in lower mainland, Glenn B. must be enjoying this fine white morning in BC.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:17 PM   #8

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
SNOW and TIRE COVERS

A timely topic I've been thinking about. We just bought Paul a pair of storage tire covers for while Peanut is sitting over the winter--he had cut a piece of plywood but was unhappy about it. He likes his new white "flat bottom" covers. The spare tire cover is a different thing, but it has a slit which rides at the bottom and so far we haven't seen mold inside...but I worry about it. Grommets, eh? A thought.

We have snow this AM, too, starting while it was still dark.
It's lovely and at 38 F out now is not going to stick long. The roads are still clear.
Attached Thumbnails
048.jpg  
Old 12-05-2016, 01:55 PM   #9

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:

If you are in Western Washington just take it off during the fall, winter and spring. We don't get enough strong sun during those months to worry about having significant UV damage occur. It is only during the summer in July and August in Western Washington that you would have much of a problem with UV.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:26 PM   #10

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
Spare Tire Cover

Thanks for the comments!

Stude - Until my plans changed a couple days ago, I was going to be heading for Port Angeles today !

kcorbin - I do think this is the best plan. One more thing to line up in the family room!

Gordon - I, too, found water would not drain between the tire and trailer, and will be a lot more careful when washing the trailer from now on.
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote