MORE SPACE UNDER SEAT - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2006, 01:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette Deluxe / 1997 Toyota T-100
OK so I am new to fiber trailers with alot of questions.
On our way back from picking up the Scamp we were camped next to an airstream and I saw that his electriacal plug in for shore power was like a heavy duty extension cord. OK let me try to explan. On the Scamp I open up a door and pull the cord out ( this takes up alot of space under the seat for storage maybe another water tank?) to plug into shore power. But on the airstream he took the heavy duty cord from inside his trailer and pluged in.
Has anyone done this modification and where can in get the plug for the cord and trailer.
Female on the cord (like all extension cords) and male connector (fixed) on the Scamp?
THANK YOU
D Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
On our way back from picking up the Scamp we were camped next to an airstream and I saw that his electriacal plug in for shore power was like a heavy duty extension cord. OK let me try to explan. On the Scamp I open up a door and pull the cord out ( this takes up alot of space under the seat for storage maybe another water tank?) to plug into shore power. But on the airstream he took the heavy duty cord from inside his trailer and pluged in.
Has anyone done this modification and where can in get the plug for the cord and trailer.
Female on the cord (like all extension cords) and male connector (fixed) on the Scamp?
THANK YOU
Hi: Someone on this sight did a shortening of the power cord to abought 12" with a new connector and then bought a H.D. power cord to store under the front bunk...Makes sense as you instantly gain more cupboard space... Hummmmmm Now who was it?????????Darn memory Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Then too, check Byron's posting here to a link at Camping World: Replacing Electrical Cover

The electric cord in my Scamp, when fed back into the trailer rides next to the hotwater heater and on top of the converter....not much room for anything else there anyway. I'm just glad I don't have to go hunt up the cord when it's time to plug in!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:20 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Just about any specialty RV supplier should have the cord sets, or ends to convert your existing cord. For example, many stores use Coast as their supplier, and the Coast catalog has cords starting on page 115 and "power inlets" (the male connector and fitting that would install in the trailer wall) on page 117. They even have a conversion kit on page 118 (lower left corner) to do exactly the proposed modification.

I have had the same thought, and the only concern I have heard is that a separate power cord like this might be stolen too easily. I don't know if that's a real concern.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:25 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
THANK YOU
Hi: ...I think it was Con "Boler Mods" and he posted pics. Since Bolers and Scamps are Cousins it should be easy to follow...Now where did I put my "Thingy"??? Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 11-30-2006, 01:46 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
A word of caution here. If your converter is where mine is, you'll need to make sure you do something to allow air flow around the back of the converter. To solve the problem of using that compartment I put a plywood partition in just behind the converter. You can see a picture here.

The main thing don't block the air flow to the converter.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I've added a power "Inlet" to my Scamp that replaced the heavy power cord. See my website (listed below), and click on "modifications and repairs".

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:29 PM   #8

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
VW Westfalia has something like that. Our electric connection on the side has a lid. You flip open the lid and put your electric extension cord right on it and run it to the post. The only thing you need to do on the inside and flip the switch to ON and you have electric. We store the cord on a reel under the back seat.

Here is what VW uses - http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_category.ph...&parent_id=
Jan Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:42 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
When I rebuilt mine I used that set up. I think it works great! I'm not fond of shoving the cord into the trailer, I have had them get tangled.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:07 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
...he took the heavy duty cord from inside his trailer and pluged in.
THANK YOU

I Did this to my 13 foot Boler (Lady-bug)when I wanted more space and it worked great.
I just cut the main wire which was about 25 feet long so that it would just clear the exterior wall of the Lady-Bug and installed a regular 30 amp male end which can be purchased almost anywhere.
This is called the pig tail and the Male end sits in the well for the electrical entrance to trailer.
I then took the remainder cord and installed a 30 amp female end plug on the cut end so I now have a extension cord of about 23 feet of the same wire that the camper came with and I now keep this roll of wire in a nice neat circle with all other neat circles of hoses.
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:41 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
You can get a female outlet at places like Home Depot -- Be SURE that the outlet you get is for 30Amps@120VAC, not 30@240VAC (the second is commonly used in households for dryers, air conditioners, etc. and is NOT the right thing for RV application.

You can get a 30A/120VAC extension cable at WalMart for less money than at an RV store.

Personally, not having an air conditioner, I replaced my heavy 30A cable with a 15A short outlet and use an extension cable for longer distances (I gave my old cable to an RVing friend and he made a 30A extension cable out of it).

Below is the arrangement Yahoo Scamper Lescher made for his Scamp 13 -- It has a 15A connection cable, plus two GFCI outlets:

Click image for larger version

Name:	PowerPlug_ShoreCable.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	5609
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 09:20 AM   #12

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Pete, did I misread this, or is this outlet being used as a feed for power in? Is the 30 amp connector in the photo a male or female connector? I can't tell very well from the photo, and although I'm sure no one would ever do it, the National Electrical Code specifically prohibits putting male connectors on both ends of a cord because of accidental shock hazard. The "hot" end of an extension cord should always be a female end. This is especially hazardous if the cord accidentally gets pulled out of the trailer by children.

Gerry's idea is probably the most cost-effective, and will work with any RV 30 amp extension cord.

Most of the major RV manufacturers are now supplying marine-type connectors on their coaches where they have a removeable cord application. This is a Marinco 30 amp removeable cord with a screw lock. Obviously the connector on the trailer would have to fit this connector, and is also available.

Name:   marinco_30_amp_cord.gif
Views: 82
Size:  28.8 KB

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 09:27 AM   #13

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Roger,

The trailer connector pictured above is male.

It is not hot, sitting as is, so it is safe.

It only becomes "Hot" when plugged in and then it is covered by the female end of the cord.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:33 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler 1984

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0001_01.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	5616

Here's another type. This came with the Boler when we got it. The lid covers a three prong receptacle to which I attach the female end of an extension cord.A word of caution here. Be sure to use a heavy duty cord. I once used a 100 ft lawnmower cord and almost cooked the converter. Boy did it get hot.Too much resistance and too long a cord.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 11:45 AM   #15

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
James, that is cool. It is on my summer "mods" list. In the Sunshine state there are all kinds of critters that can climb up the power cord and in the RV. Even when I have the cord cover down and closed around the cord I still smear some petroleum jelly on the cord near the trailer to discourage ants...especially those of the FIRE variety. With your Boler power supply (like the marine shore power kits) you are staying sealed Alistair
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 07:43 PM   #16

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
Quote:
Attachment 5616

Here's another type. This came with the Boler when we got it. The lid covers a three prong receptacle to which I attach the female end of an extension cord.A word of caution here. Be sure to use a heavy duty cord. I once used a 100 ft lawnmower cord and almost cooked the converter. Boy did it get hot.Too much resistance and too long a cord.
That is the way a lot of the vintage RVs are. But these were just 15 amp. That way the critters can't get in. But the older RVs weren't equipped with all the mods we use today, so we need 30 or 50 amps. Then there is going to be someone who uses too lightweight a cord, and starts a fire. I think that is why they don't come that way, any more.
Happy Trails, Penny
Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 09:39 PM   #17

Trailer: Boler 1984
Oooo I'm getting some negative vibes here. I was only pointing out the fact that those 'yard' cords are not ment for camping use.and what mods? I,m talkin no heat, no air, no nuke machine, no tv, no radio. Just a luxury called lighting and mabee a small fan when it's really, really hot. I usually carry a cooler and don't use the fridge.
This is luxury. When I want to go basic I take the canoe, a tent and a backpack.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:07 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Oooo I'm getting some negative vibes here. I was only pointing out the fact that those 'yard' cords are not ment for camping use.and what mods? I,m talkin no heat, no air, no nuke machine, no tv, no radio. Just a luxury called lighting and mabee a small fan when it's really, really hot. I usually carry a cooler and don't use the fridge.
This is luxury. When I want to go basic I take the canoe, a tent and a backpack.
Hi: With all Elec"trickery" there are positives and negatives... Too big an appliance and too small a cord adds up to a negative!!! Two many things plugged into one recepticle adds up too another negative!!! Now where did I put those spare fuses??? Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 12-08-2006, 01:50 PM   #19

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
That is the way a lot of the vintage RVs are. But these were just 15 amp. That way the critters can't get in. But the older RVs weren't equipped with all the mods we use today, so we need 30 or 50 amps. Then there is going to be someone who uses too lightweight a cord, and starts a fire. I think that is why they don't come that way, any more.
There's nothing wrong with a 15 amp connector and cord for loads up to 15 amps (like the setup James showed), or with a detachable cord for a 30 amp load the corresponding connectors are used (like the one in Roger's picture): as long as the circuit breaker (or fuse) suits the load, it was okay, and would still be okay.

The problem would be if someone connected 30 amps of load with one of those 15 amp connectors. I think new RVs no longer use the 15 A setup only because most are built to accommodate higher loads.

I have a stock 30 amp setup in my Boler, but the only time we would even get near 15 amps would be when using an electric space heater.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote