My 1974 Trillium 1300 Reno - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2016, 12:01 PM   #1

Name: Matt
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
My 1974 Trillium 1300 Reno

After 2 months of hard work I'm finally done my reno.
I figured since I found a lot of help on here I would give back and share my story to help others do the same....please take a look at the pics, each one is a before and after side by side

Please feel free to ask any questions you might have, I'll be happy to help in anyway I can.

Here is a quick list of what I did:
- cleaned and polished outside (link to steps listed below)
- new tire cover and logos
- removed old heater and create a new cupboard (we're going to use a space heater instead)
- removed stove top (we didn't need it as we have a coleman stove and a portable hotplate to use inside when needed)
- removed old fridge and replaced with bar fridge
- new counter, sink, faucet, etc
- new lighting
- covered and/or painted all fibreglass
- removed overhead shelves
- added new access panels under seats
- created boxed compartments under seats for storage
- new flooring
- caulked elephant skin/ensolite seams and painted the interior skin (steps below)
- installed backsplash
- new cabinet doors & hardware
- new shelves in tall cabinet
- covered tabletop
- added some new recepticles
- new upholstery on cushions
- installed 24'' tv

Cleaning and polishing the outside - about $40
Bodywork shine - Red Max Pro 3 no longer avail - ZEP is same product :-)

Painting the elephant skin - I found this information on another post and it worked great, I just couldn't find the post again to add the link so here is the info

1) Clean it - use mix of ammonia and water in a 1:1 ratio. The ammonia water cleaner works very well on oil, grease and stubborn stains, it also does not require rinsing and dries leaving no residue.
2) Caulk the seams - Remove seam tape then fill with a paintable latex caulking. I used DAP Dynaflex 230. take your time and use a sponge to texture the caulking, you will be able to get a close match to the skin itself.
I found that using a sponge about 5 min after applying the caulking was best.
3) Prime entire interior using a high adhesive primer, I used Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3
4) Over the primer use a high quality latex paint, I used Rustoleum Painter’s Touch in gloss white.
Attached Thumbnails
Camper.jpg   Camper03.jpg  

Camper04.jpg   Camper05.jpg  

Camper07.jpg   Camper08.jpg  

Camper09.jpg   Camper10.jpg  

Camper11.jpg   Camper12.jpg  

Mhranka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:10 PM   #2

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Hey Matt, nice job. Did you replace the old exterior decals with new ones? If so can you give me the info on where you got them.

Thanks
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:46 PM   #3

Ontario
Thanks Clayton
Yes new decals on the front, back, rock protector and a new spare tire cover.
The decals were slightly larger than the original but worked out great

This is where I bought them from, he was good to deal with.
https://trilliumrv.wordpress.com/parts/

Order form is here
https://trilliumrv.files.wordpress.c..._9-11-16_r.pdf
Old 09-30-2016, 10:23 AM   #4

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Bigfoot Spirit Wing
British Columbia
Registry
Nice job on your reno. Looks real clean. I am about to embark on a reno of my 1976 Trillium. Always interested to see what others do
Gerry
idlebabyboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:59 AM   #5

Ontario
Thanks Gerry, good luck with the project
FYI - I found that bondo worked well on small holes, etc
Old 10-11-2016, 10:34 AM   #6

Name: Ryan
Pennsylvania
This past weekend I purchased a '75 Trillium, and have begun the demo portion of my reno. I absolutely love how yours turned out. I was hoping you could give me some more info on the counter top and backsplash that you used. What size (thickness) butcher-block counter did you use, and where did you get it, how did you secure it, and how did you handle the raised lip of the FG base? How did you adhere the backsplash tiles to the fiberglass? Also, any info/tips on cushion covers would be awesome!

Thanks!!
rrobert2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:05 PM   #7

Ontario
Hi Ryan,

Congrats on your purchase, it'll be a great project.
And thanks I'm happy with how ours turned out.

Countertop, sink and faucet were all purchased at ikea, counter was simply cut to size....I used a compass and jig saw to cut the back so it would fit into place.
Prior to installing the counter I basically boxed out the existing fibreglass structure with some wood in order to create a flat surface on the top, front and sides. It was a few mths back but I think it used pieces of 3x1 on the top and front as this took care of the lip issue and then I simply covered the front and sides with 1/4" sanded plywood. I used pl premium and screws to secure it all....once the PL cured I removed the screws and filled in all the gaps/holes with Bondo....then primed and painted.
Doing this also bumped out the front a little which provided some extra depth for the new fridge....you'll notice the bump on the front is now gone too.

Backsplash, I used peel & stick 1x1 tiles from rona, they are not cheap....around $100 for the small area.....this happens to be the one item that I'm still unsure of as it doesn't seem to be sticking very well even though I primed it before the application. My suggestion would be to try a peel and still wallpaper instead.

Cushion covers, this was the only item I outsourced...we had a seamstress do these for us.

Best of luck with the project, if you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:07 PM   #8

Ontario
I forgot to mentioned for I fastened the countertop...
Once the wood is in place and the PL Hhas cured you're able to screw it down from underneath
Old 10-29-2016, 04:03 PM   #9

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
Beautiful job on your renos!! Really like it!
JRTrillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:09 AM   #10

Ontario
Thanks, it was a lot of work but definitely worth it.
I'm actually camping in it right now
Old 12-07-2016, 11:16 PM   #11

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the market
Illinois
Hello. I am almost finished with the redo of my 79 Trillium but ran into a couple of issues. Can you help me. I can't find the gasket that goes around the door frame of the camper. I found some but......the fiberglass thickness differs and I need some that will be 1/2 opening to stick on the frame.

Secondly: I cannot find the headliner plastic splices that cover the seams of the headliner.

I hope you can help me.
donksax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:33 AM   #12

Ontario
Hi Michael,

Congrats on the project its sounds like you're at the tail end now.

the second item is fairly easy to find online.
For mine I pulled all of the T molding and used caulking to fill the gaps instead of replacing it. This works very well if you're going to paint. The directions on how to do this is in my original post above.
If you're not interested in that approach then it looks like Paul Neumeister has some available. Fibreglass RV Parts, Repairs, and Service by Paul Neumeister

Regarding the gasket. I didn't have to replace this but here are a couple places that might supply it.
If you call Paul he might be able to assist, he refinishes older campers for a living so he may have a someone that you can call.
You can also try these guys Trillium Trailers
This is a thread I found regarding gaskets...it might help too
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ket-32444.html

best of luck...
Old 12-08-2016, 02:15 PM   #13

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Very nice renovation... I sent you a PM......Noticed that you removed your furnace and thought you might sell it... If you would I would like to buy it...

Thanks Randy
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:28 PM   #14

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
I found exact match at a nearby RV dealer. I've attached a copy of the invoice, so you can call the dealer and give them the part # to find out more about it. I had to special order an entire roll of it, enough to do two door openings. I still have the remaining 1/2 of roll and can part with it for 1/2 the invoice price plus shipping.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Scan.pdf (174.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 12-09-2016, 05:45 PM   #15

Name: Patricia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr and 2020 Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
Very nice Matt. Like your color choices including the floor color.
It has a very clean, uncluttered and modern look to it.
Patricia
Down the Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium