My naked camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #1

Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Registry
My naked camper

I bought a canopy to cover my play pac from rain and snow. After a few trial blow overs we thought we had it secure. After a windy night it pulled out the hurricane straps and the corkscrew left a big hole in the ground. My garage isn't tall enough and the local storage places aren't an option. Anyone have ideas on how I can cover my camper?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1225733993.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	44440
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #2

Name: Angela
Trailer: Unknown
Michigan
There is a car repair place in our town that sells affordable aluminum car ports. If you put it together yourself it's around $700. Not as cheap as a canopy, but they will last for years. I have seen them in other towns too, so they must be somewhat common.
Amcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:49 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Well, if the Big Bad Wolf is going to be huffing & puffing and blowing your shelter down, some drastic measures will be needed. Any portable shelter option is likely to get damaged, but you can take some steps, like drilling fence-post holes, filling them with concrete and setting ring-bolts in the cement, then anchoring to the bolts.

Another approach is to tie the shelter down to the trailer itself. just remember to UNTIE it when you hitch on or you will pull the shelter down.

And NO, we will NOT discuss how I know this.......
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #4

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
My dad used one of those for a few years, as Dave suggests, concrete, though what dad did is concrete in buckets and set the poles in those. And it was somewhat sheltered by the house but in an extremely windy location.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Harbor Freight sells these
Portable Garage - 10 ft. x 15 ft.
I have one still in box you can have for $100- pick up
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #6

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
I bought this one on ebay, it was a little over $100 and has held up great for 2 winters. It does the job.

Deluxe Cikira RV Retro-Lite 14' Trailer Camper Cover | eBay
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #7

Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Registry
I will be in Hershey mothers day weekend... Lemme run it by the guy. I think that's what he wants ( and although I begged, we are traveling without the play pac )
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:21 AM   #8

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
hey Meghan,
i picked up a portable garage from Costco - its 10' x 20' and cost $200 (i think they are down to $179 last time i saw it). has windows and front and rear entrances and i put it together in less than an hour. as pictured below with my old U Haul!

but it looks like you already bought a covering, so i would suggest trying what i did to keep it in place without having to mix concrete ... go to your local fire station and get some sandbags and fill them with sand (our local fire stations provide this service for flooding. if your local doesn't provide this service, you can buy empty sandbags at home depot for about 30 cents each). tie a sandbag down to each leg of your canopy. i did this to mine and it hasn't budged since! good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3272.jpeg   IMG_3279.jpeg  

IMG_3280.jpeg  
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:31 AM   #9

Name: Al
Trailer: 1982 13 foot Scamp
Wisconsin
The town I live in has an ordinance that says no temporary garage type structures.My neighbor had one until he got a letter in the mail from city hall.
They also have a law that says ANY trailer,including boats,must be parked on a hard surface and not visible from the street.
ScampBum is offline   Reply With Quote