My new (well used) 1984 Cadet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2006, 07:00 PM   #1

Trailer: Captain
Hello everyone, Today I picked up a used cadet, its a little bit shabby but in trailer years its probably the same shape I am in.I can deal with most things to have it in tiptop shape in the next 3 weeks, however the only serious problem is the interior finish,the fiberglass shell is mostly covered with a thin layer of foam which is then covered with fabric.I want to replace it all.Does any one have a suggestion what kind of fabric to use or is there anything else I can cover the interior with.
Thanks, Martin Keus
Martin in Fonthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft Nical Captain
Send a message via AIM to Brian Hatfield
Quote:
Hello everyone, Today I picked up a used cadet, its a little bit shabby but in trailer years its probably the same shape I am in.I can deal with most things to have it in tiptop shape in the next 3 weeks, however the only serious problem is the interior finish,the fiberglass shell is mostly covered with a thin layer of foam which is then covered with fabric.I want to replace it all.Does any one have a suggestion what kind of fabric to use or is there anything else I can cover the interior with.
Thanks, Martin Keus
Hi Marten; I have a Captain which is the big brother of your Cadet
and I replaced the same interior with rubber backed automotive carpet
which was held in place by 3m's super 77 adhesive. It's lasted three years now
and I'm very pleased with it.
Brian
Brian Hatfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Thanks, Martin Keus
Hi Martin,

Not sure about your lining. someone here may know.

Thought I'd welcome you to the group.
Was that the one listed last week in Mount Hope?

Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:34 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Welcome to FiberglassRV Martin, we're glad you're here. This group (and me!) really like pictures, do you have a couple of your new-to-you Cadet you could post?

Wall coverings are really varied. Depends on your level of ability and the amount of $$ you want to spend. If you're taking it all down, I'd certainly consider adding back some Reflectix insulation prior to placing the final finish. You can purchase Rat Fur directly from Scamp. That's what is in my trailer and I like it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:58 AM   #5

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1978
Congratulations Martin!
Removing the interiour..., be sure it is necessary. I had mold and mildew between the foam (kind of like seat cushion foam) and the FG shell, so I have removed mine. I pulled down all the loose stuff, then picked at what little was really stuck on. I then borrowed a pressure washer and used it to remove the rest. (This required removing all interiour funishings)
Replacement, I am planning on either using Reflectix (Home Depot in the insulation section, looks like bubble wrap with a silver cover - 1 roll 4 feet x 50 feet = $115 + tx.), then covering the Reflectix with light carpet, or maybe heavy fabric. Alternatively I might go with a 3/8 closed foam material that is white and looks promising. (Available in 5 foot wide rolls by whatever you need it. Custom Foam Systems, Kitchener 519-748-1700 customfoam.com)
Adam
adamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:20 AM   #6

Trailer: Captain
I am impressed by the welcome, this certainly is a friendly group, I will post pictures shortly.
I bought the trailer to do a two week holiday in the Canadian Maritimes, my daughter gave us tickets to the "Bare Naked Ladies" concert in Charlottetown on Aug. 6. I was surprised to see the meet at Abrams Cove the same weekend, we will probable pop in for a day wether the trailer is finished or not. (I will be pulling it with a PtCruiser).
As for the interior ,I like the idea of automotive carpeting (or marine carpeting) as I am better with a caulking gun than a sewing machine.However i will keep a open mind as i start investigating and pricing my options.
(Yes this trailer came from Mount Hope)

Thanks
Martin Keus
Martin in Fonthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:30 AM   #7

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Is Reflectix strong enough to hold the weight of ratfur when stuck to a ceiling?
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:31 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Is Reflectix strong enough to hold the weight of ratfur when stuck to a ceiling?
Scamp factory puts two layers of Reflectix then cover that with rat fur on all inside shell surfaces, including ceiling.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:54 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1984
Hello Maritn!
Welcome to the world of fiberglass. Looking forward to your before, during ,and after pictures. You'll have to bring it to Emily July 7. There will be over 100 trailers for you to get ideas from. Check it out in the rally's and campouts section.
Jim
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:19 PM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Welcome Martin. We bought a boler just last month in order to go to the East Coast this summer for a couple and a bit of weeks too. I expect we'll see you in Abrams Cove.
You should really consider coming to the Emily meet as a trial run.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #11

Name: Jocelyne
Trailer: Cadet
Quebec
Repairing Cadet lining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hatfield View Post
Hi Marten; I have a Captain which is the big brother of your Cadet
and I replaced the same interior with rubber backed automotive carpet
which was held in place by 3m's super 77 adhesive. It's lasted three years now
and I'm very pleased with it.
Brian
Hello Mr. Hatfield. I just recently sent a similar message concerning our problems trying to glue back our foamback 1985 Cadet lining. We are retired and not really up to replacing this ourselves. Would you be kind enough to let us know how many hours were required to do the job, so we might think of possibly hiring someone who could do this? It won't be easy, though. A few years ago, a camping retail outfit did some repairs to the trailer and the results didn't last more than a season.

Jocelyne Gauvin,
MOntreal, QC
Jocelyne Gauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Brian Hatfield - last post November 2007.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yeah been a while since Brian's been around. He must have logged in and read: Last Activity: 10-20-2008 03:11 PM
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:23 AM   #14

Trailer: 86 Cadet
Hi Martin and Jocelyne
I'm in the process of rebuilding my '86 cadet and just posted some of the pictures in my album. More to follow as work continues.

Dave
daveterp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cadet