Need advice on what to buy! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hello All,

Im new here. My name is Bob Elder. In 2006 my wife and I bought a new 2006 Jayco Baja. Last week our trailer sold and we are now on the hunt for something different... AKA something we dont have to set up and tear down...

Both her and I have been to look at a few 13' Bolers and are thinking they are a little small for us. Im 6', and shes 5' 8"...

We are now thinking that a 17' boler would be a better size for us. Since I am new to fiberglass trailers, maybe there are more options I should be looking for?

This unit is currently for my wife the dog and I, but we are planning expanding our family in the next year or two, so we want a unit we wont out grow too quickly...

My wifes requirements are fairly simple: toilet, comfy bed, heater...

I am open to any adivce you can give, and pics never hurt either...

Thanks in advance!

Bob
Bob Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Bob, are you looking for used, or new?

There are many good manufacturers of moulded fiberglass trailers. If you are planning to expand the family soon, I would think you would be best with 17' model to facilitate more sleeping places. There are a few workable options in 15's and 13's though.

Would you be ok with a porta potty, or would you want a small bathroom. This decision will quickly eliminate lots of trailers.

Do lots of reading of old posts, and go to other manufacturer based forums to see what people do and don't like.

I went through the same process you are, starting about a year ago.

Good luck, and keep firing away with any questions you may have.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 1999 21 ft Bigfoot (2500 series)
I agree ask lots of questions before you buy. Might help if you can get to a rally too and look at all the different options.

Alexandra B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:42 PM   #4

Thanks guys...

Not really looking to buy new again.. Would prefer a small bathroom... does not need to have hot water or shower....
Old 07-29-2009, 05:32 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I don't have any idea where Delta BC is... but if it's close to Chilliwack, be sure to check out the Escape. Reace and Tammy occasionally have used trailers for sale. Here's the list to all currently made molded trailers (except Bigfoot who's out of business and Oliver that's suspended production until at least 2010): http://www.fiberglassrv.com/resources.html...un=fiberglassrv
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
The 2010 date at Oliver appears to be good, but for Canadians, buying in Canada makes a lot of sense. Isn't Bigfoot going back into production next year? I thought they were bought out by another company?

We just finished two and a half weeks in Canada, along the trans Canada, except for a trip to Algonquin. We saw more fiberglass rv's in two and a half weeks than we've seen in two years in the southeast.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B / 2005 Tacoma 4x4 D Cab
You've got to look at an Escape 17'. It will meet all of your wife's requirements and then some!!!!!

My wife and I, and two kids 10 and 13, really like ours. So much so that on Friday we leave for 5 weeks to southern Utah (again).
BC Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 79 Boler 17 ft
Bob:

a 17 footer of whatever sort is the way to go. For the 2 of you, you will get a toilet, maybe a hot water heater, a bed, and the table can remain setup. It will be a luxury yacht for you. My Boler 1700 pulls nicely behind our Honda Odyssey van.

Kevin.
KevinDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Bob:

a 17 footer of whatever sort is the way to go. For the 2 of you, you will get a toilet, maybe a hot water heater, a bed, and the table can remain setup. It will be a luxury yacht for you. My Boler 1700 pulls nicely behind our Honda Odyssey van.

Kevin.
Thanks everyone!

We have a 2002 F350 diesel so I am not worried about towing... The Escape trailers are nice, but a touch out of my price range from what I saw.. Was looking to stay in the $8000 range...

Will probably keep my eyes peeled for a nice 1700 Boler i guess...
Old 08-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp
You have the truck, what about a 5th wheel? You'd get extra sleeping room for when you expand your family. More room for kids to play on a rainy day. When it's just me in my Scamp, it's fine. When my husband and kids (6', 6'3" & 5'8") come along it's really cramped. We always have to bring a tent. Get the largest camper you can afford.
brendaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:50 AM   #11

Trailer: 17 ft Boler
Hi - I am in Vancouver. I am working on my 17' boler right now. We are repainting and putting in new fixtures and touches like that. I have already had the mechanical done. New furnace and such...

Anyway, you are welcome to come and take a look at mine so you can see what it feels like inside and if you think it would work for your family. I am 5'8" and my hubby is 6"2. We have a 9 year old and a dog. It is a small space but we can all sleep in it! For you to be starting your family, your babies and toddlers can easily sleep on the fold down bunk above the big bed (although you have to rig up a side rail, or netting so no one falls out).

Let me know if you would like to come by and see what it looks like inside, first hand.

Dawn

I will message you if I see any for sale in the area. I brought mine over from Washington. I found it on Craig's List Seattle - I had to drive to Everette to buy it, but getting it over the border is a snap. Bolers are Canadian made, and they are more than 15 years old, and have no motor. All they want at the border is a bill of sale and the title. It was $250 for tax, on my $5000 trailer and no duty.

It was a good buy, although I have already put almost $3000 into it....eek!!!
Dawn S is offline   Reply With Quote