Need an Awning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2018, 12:34 PM   #1

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
Need an Awning

My 2005 Catalina 2500 self-retractable awning on my 13 ft Scamp is impossible for me to retract for travel by myself. So if traveling alone, I don't use the awning.

Any suggestions for a replacement that is easily managed by a single small person? Retractable vs self-winding?
Thanks for your feedback.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:05 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Talk to the people at Carefree of Colorado. They make a very rugged awning; ours is self-windup and pulls down with a single strap. Easy to use. Fiesta - Carefree of Colorado

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:26 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
Fiamma

I open and close my Fiama by myself. Like everything about it. They were down for awhile do to a shooting that took place there by a disgruntled ex employee at the Orlando office. Not sure of their status.
John
Old 04-13-2018, 09:35 AM   #4

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
For under $50 you can get a Z-Shade from KMart; the 8' pop-up type are very light and easy to put up. We use 4 bungees and 4 milk jugs filled with water, sand, dirt, gravel...one on each leg to hold it down. We really like ours, so much so we got three of them. The 10' ones are a little hard for only one person.

We used light silicon spray on the legs to assure they continued to slide up and down easily.

Ours is blue; they come in other colors. They don't come in white--or didn't when we bought ours. Blue is OK.

You can use them anywhere in your campsite; you can also use them with one side raised only partially to provide sideways shade. They resist rain. They were everything we "needed" in an awning and can be set up over a picnic table--for that I'd recommend the 10'.

The Clam Shelter looks great. The difference in price from about $50 to $200+ was a stretch--then. Also, they only come in green or brown with a tan roof, and you must have the screened sides, nice against bugs. But on a very hot day it does impede air flow some. It would contain a dog, though, which would be good.

Let us know what you find/decide?

That link above to the awnings has fabulous options. The custom fabric stripe choices is amazing. Even the standards have a nice variety. Did not see a price, however, so it was hard to judge how much I might want one.

It depends on what you want.
Happy hunting! Until you buy, you have a world of choices! (Even then.)

BEST
Kai
Old 04-13-2018, 09:51 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
My 2005 Catalina 2500 self-retractable awning on my 13 ft Scamp is impossible for me to retract for travel by myself. So if traveling alone, I don't use the awning.

Any suggestions for a replacement that is easily managed by a single small person? Retractable vs self-winding?
Thanks for your feedback.
Fiama is a crank out/in style, very easy to set out and stow. A bit pricy, but way better than the Catalina which we had on our Scamp.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:09 AM   #6

Name: MURRAY
Trailer: Ventura
British Columbia (BC)
awning

Look at Shadyboy Awnings. I am buying one.
MurrayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:36 AM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I am going to throw you a curve. A number of people here are fans of CLAM screen roooms which provide full protection from Sun, rain, and especially insects. They also provide some wind protection. A 12x12' hexagonal outdoor living room, for around $250.00. That's about $2/sq ft., not bad. I would add a set of wind panels which are about $30.00

Search CLAM screen room and you will find good prices at Houzz, Hayneedle, and Amazon.

The CLAM is arguably best of breed in that it can be set up like an umbrella in about 45 seconds. Stored in a bag, they weigh I think, 35 lbs. Many people can manage/wrestle that. Here is a YouTube video showing set up.

People with small trailers need screened rooms to enjoy the outdoors!

Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:21 AM   #8

Oregon
Thanks for your thoughtful comments, Kathleen. I bought a Z-Shade a few years back, and had to get help to set it up...it is a 2-person job. It was a great shade, perfect price, but too much for me to manage solo, so returned it to store. I'm looking into some of the other suggestions.
Regards, Marilyn
Old 04-13-2018, 02:40 PM   #9

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
I think the hexagonal Clam might be a bit of a set up chore for one small person. There is a smaller, four sided Clam, works out to be about 6x6. I'm not smaller, but can set it up myself, and it's a big enough for two chairs and a cooler inside. There is a video on the company site of a solo set up.

Fiamma is an excellent choice as well, but as noted, $$.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:55 PM   #10

Oregon
Great Suggestions

Thank you all for the great awning suggestions. I'm going to the Oregon Gathering later this month and will do some looking/talking/offering to help set-up/take down.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:57 PM   #11

Registry
M Scott: sorry to hear it didn't work out with the Z-Shade. Hope you find just the right thing for you...I'm sure it's out there!

Kai
Old 04-13-2018, 09:01 PM   #12

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I recommend trying to find a CLAM 12x12 hexagonal in a store where you could take it down and set it up yourself. I think the 12x12 (140 x 140 inches actually) is an optimal room size. It easily holds a picnic table, or a handful of people and chairs. I love mine. It is 35 lbs. I think the 35 lbs is more of an issue than setup.

It makes so much sense to be able to invite another couple over for dinner, or several individuals. This living room makes that easy to do out of the sun or rain and away from insects. You can hang a small LED lantern from the roof. Just add your favorite beverage.

Cabelas has them and large sporting goods stores should have them. Maybe even Bed Bath & Beyond.

Here a 5' 4" woman makes pretty easy work of a heavier 42 lb 150"x150" CLAM with built in roll down flaps/walls. The slightly smaller one with optional walls would be even easier.

Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:46 AM   #13

Registry
Marilyn: nothing quite like a nice attached awning.

I was dreaming last night of how cool Peanut would look with one of the beautiful striped awnings in that link above...matching our interior, looking so sharp, nothing to stow in the car...yeah, I woke up drooling!

Maybe one day. Hope you find just the right thing!

BEST
Kai
Old 04-14-2018, 08:09 AM   #14

Name: nancy
Trailer: 19' Scamp Deluxe
Tennessee
Registry
We replaced our Dometic awning with a Fiamma last year--love it! We have a 16 foot Scamp.
They put holders on the side of the Scamp, for the awning legs, and I like that so much better.
One person can set up our awning, so with a smaller one for your 13 foot,
wouldn't be a problem, I don't think.
nancyrnfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:21 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Nancy did you went with the F45 or F65 Fiamma, and do you know what bracket model was used to install the awning?
I'm looking to install a F65 on my Trillium this spring.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #16

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
I used a Shady Boy on my Boler and loved it, but it's not easy to roll up with just one person. (Deploying it is easy with one person, but holding it together and rolling up is tough.) Had a Catalina on my Scamp and it was OK for just one person setup/deploy but a little awkward and flimsy. I have a Fiamma on my Parkliner and have no problems with single person setup and take-down. EZPZ! It's also quite sturdy. I also have a 12x12 Clam and love it! Watch enough of the videos, and single person setup and takedown is easy. It does take practice and a little hand/eye coordination, but neither brute strength, significant height, nor 4 hands are required.

-- Anne P
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:54 PM   #17

Oregon
Think I'll start saving for a Flamma. maybe a clam later. Maybe someone will buy my Catalina?

thanks everyone who took the time to give suggestions...soooo very helpful.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:35 PM   #18

Name: nancy
Trailer: 19' Scamp Deluxe
Tennessee
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl V View Post
Nancy did you went with the F45 or F65 Fiamma, and do you know what bracket model was used to install the awning?
I'm looking to install a F65 on my Trillium this spring.
Carl, our awning is a Fiamma 45S. Scamp sent the brackets to go with it--I don't know that they have a model number.
The RV place that installed it did have to drill different holes, than we had for the Dometic awning.
And, as I said, we had them install the brackets for the legs, onto the body of the Scamp as well. I really do like that option.
nancyrnfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:56 PM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Ok thanks!
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:04 PM   #20

Name: Jonathon
Trailer: Beachcomber
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayC View Post
Look at Shadyboy Awnings. I am buying one.

I second the shady boy. I purchased on last year and love it. I highley recommend.

Side note, I do it all by myself while my wife sets up the bed and plays with our 1 year old.
sully1582 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning