Need help with battery connection and being locked in - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2019, 03:22 PM   #1

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
Question Need help with battery connection and being locked in

Two issues:
First, there are a three wires coming out of the trailer to the battery: a black and a white electrical wires that connect to the battery terminals. But there is a third black thinner wire...where do I connect that wire? Amazing, the service guy where I get my Scamp repairs couldn't answer the question. I suspect I connect it to the same terminal as the other black wire???

The other issue: I got locked in the trailer last week in a busy campground. The locking mechanism must have engaged when I "slammed" the door shut.
I opened the bathroom window and yelled, and yelled, and yelled for help. RV campers directly across from me ignored my calls...about 15 minutes later, someone finally came over. Fortunately I keep a spare trailer key in my car, which was used to unlock the door.
What happened? I often camp in the boonies...how can I prevent this from happening again?

Thanks for your responses.
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:20 AM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Marilyn,

A close up picture of the lock mechanism taken on the inside when the door is closed and also one with the door open would help greatly. Does your lock have just a latch and not a separate dead bolt?

Unless there is something broken, its very difficult to get locked in. It appears that slamming the door might have caused the latch to bind somehow/somewhere causing the problem. A close of picture of the edge of the door where the latch protrudes as well as the strike area of the door frame would be great.
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:40 AM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
If your door became out of alignment, it could have put undue stress on the lock causing this issue.

Regarding the black wire, if you bought the trailer new and all wiring was done by Scamp, it's almost certain a wire that goes to the positive terminal. If the other black wire was done by a previous owner, your guess is about as good as mine. I'm surprised your service guy could not sort this out. Follow the wire and find out where it ends. After you figure out the wiring, I suggest you wrap all the positive wires with red tape to eliminate any further confusion.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:55 AM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
If locked inside of a Scamp, you can operate the plunger (the part which moves when the handle is operated) which engages the latch (the mall piece of steel which is attached to the fiberglass door frame) by squeezing it with your fingers. You can do this even if the handle is locked. I know this because I owned a Scamp at one time and accidentally “locked myself inside.”
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:56 PM   #5

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
extra black wire

To continue my predicament: I think this thinner black wire is a ground wire...where do I connect it? to the same terminal post as the black wire or ??
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:26 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
First DON"T SLAM THE DOOR. You are likely to brake the fiberglass that hold the striker late. Boy would tha tbe a problem.

Second get inside door latch. It can be ordered from Scamp.

Third DON't SLAM THE DOOR.

Forth See first and third.

Fifth See first and third.

You hold the handle down close the door and release the handle both when you go and close the and when you go and close the door. DO NOT SLAM THE DOOR.

Did suggest you NOT slam the door.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:53 PM   #7

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
CPW, what should I squeeze if locked inside my scamp...the plunger, the latch, the handle, the door frame?
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
To continue my predicament: I think this thinner black wire is a ground wire...where do I connect it? to the same terminal post as the black wire or ??
Don't guess. Follow the wire; where does it go? If I were to guess, it probably is the sense wire for your converter/battery charger. If it is a sense wire, it goes on the positive terminal of the battery.

As for the other two wires; polarity probably isn't what you think. From the factory black is positive, white is negative.

Do you have an owners manual with a wiring diagram?

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:59 PM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyer View Post
Don't guess. Follow the wire; where does it go?

--Dan Meyer
Exactly... I'll bet the thin wire is for something a PO added on, so it could be ANYTHING. And ANYTHING could have needed a connection to the positive or negative. If there is no fuse, then maybe its a negative, but dont guess (esp if if its not fused!)
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery