Need Help with Carpet Removal on Trillium - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-31-2009, 06:04 AM   #1
Trailer: 1973 13 ft Trillium
We pulled up the very old, very dirty carpet on our Trillium and have been scraping with plastic putty knives for days. The black fuzz is disappearing, but the carpet glue is not coming up. I am scared to use anything on the fiberglass to dissolve it. Does anyone have any experience with cleaning the fiberglass floors? I would really like to get it down to the fiberglass and then just throw a couple of rugs in there that I can take out and clean. 35 year-old carpet was just icky.

Also, any advantages/drawbacks to not having any flooring? It sounds easier to maintain to us, but there may be something I don't know about. We do camp mostly near home in North Carolina with plans to go to Georgia and Florida, so insulation is not important. We don;t even have a heater.

Thanks for the help!

Jola & Liz S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:55 AM   #2
Name: Larry H
Trailer: Trillium
Good Morning. Funny, I just pulled out old carpeting a had a similar problem. I used Mineral spirits/paint thinner on the old adhesive which got most of the stuff off but still had to do some chipping and scraping. After using the thinner I throughly washed and rinsed the areas where it had been used. Inexpensive indoor/outdoor carpeting from Home Depot was cut to fit. I will use two sided carpet tape in a few places to hold it in place. This carpeting is cheap enough to discard once in a while. It can also be removed and shampooed/washed occasionally. A Dustbuster is on board to deal with tracked in dirt. Good Luck. Larry H

Click image for larger version

Name:	Carpet_A.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	20655
Attached Thumbnails

Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
Trailer: 1973 13 ft Trillium
Thanks, we have thinner on hand but I was too paranoid to try it. I may allow it's use now, and just rinse off the areas where we used it. Wow-your carpet looks great. Maybe we will go back to wall-to-wall, but we have a messy three year-old on board and I think the rug idea might be even better.
Jola & Liz S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
Trailer: 73 Boler (modified)
I had a headache with carpet glue once. I had to remove the old carpet in my old 3 bedroom house, and it was glued like glue was going out of style. we were starting to wonder if we should replace the subfloor - it might be easier! one area had absolutely no trouble coming up, almost like the glue had dissolved. we thought back, and our dog as a puppy had the diarrhea of all diarrheas, which we now refer to as "dripping yellow madness". (carpet is disgusting). my wife used regular old SHOUT laundry aid on that spot to clean the carpet. well 20 quarts of shout later, and we were done. just ooze the shout on to it, and let it soak in for about 20 minutes. shouldn't need a putty knife. Non toxic and no fumes, either
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:17 PM   #5
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If you go to an Auto Supply Store, look for a product by 3M called Adhesive Remover. It comes in a quart can, white with red lettering. I use it on cars to loosen/soften/remove weatherproofing adhesive and other projects.

Valerie S is offline   Reply With Quote