Need insulation help! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2018, 07:27 PM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperVanCarl View Post
So you are saying to just add a couple layers of reflectix and not anything else?
Plenty good, yes!
Plus for cold, cut refextix window covers, that are very effective since the windows cascade cold in a well insulated trailer.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:17 PM   #22

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
If a person really knows what they are doing, I could see spray foam. Consider practicing first. That stuff is hard to remove, now or later.

Two layers of reflectix. That's the answer for most people.

Instead of rat fur, I wonder about covering with a foam core plush blanket like these, in white or off white. If you are familiar with these blankets, they insulate. They are sold wherever bedding is sold. Read the product reviews.

https://m.jcpenney.com/p/jcpenney-ho.../pp5003070494?
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:30 AM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Marine or Hull Liner (AKA Rat Fur) is designed not to mold, stain, or absorb odors. It stretches well to form to the compound angles of the rounded shape of our eggs. It isn’t very expensive either.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:29 AM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
What kind of trailer is this and how big? What kind of temperatures will you be dealing with? How will you be heating and/or cooling?

Some molded trailers have slab sides, making it practical to use sheets of rigid foam. Bigfoot does that on their four-season trailers. For winter camping, there is really no substitute for insulation thickness. Bigfoot also uses double-pane windows. Without them, you get so much heat loss through windows that there isn't a great benefit to super-insulating the rest.

Rounded eggs are harder. Most vintage units have Ensolite, a vinyl-surfaced closed cell foam, maybe 1/4"(?) thick. More recently, Scamp and a number of others have used, as Floyd and David indicated, a single layer of foil bubble wrap (Scamp uses Ray Foil; Reflectix seems to be more widely available) covered with marine headliner. Both are adequate for the intended use of the trailers, which does not include extended winter conditions. Reflectix works mainly as a radiant barrier, so I'm not sure you'll get much improvement by doubling up.

Escape uses a modern version of Ensolite, which has also been mentioned. It is harder to fit over rounded corners. Casita installs foam-backed carpet.

The size of the trailer matters because smaller trailers don't have a lot of space to give over to thick insulation. The transverse bed in many units is already barely long enough for an average adult male.

Spray foam... How would you get smooth, even coverage with spray foam? How resistant is it to impact once cured? What will you use as a finish layer, and what kind of glue can be used over the foam without dissolving it? Will that same glue keep it together in the wide temperature swings to which travel trailers are subject?

Best wishes! I hope you'll update us on what you decide and how it works as far as installation and field performance. This is a frequent topic with no simple solution for every situation.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:05 AM   #25

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
I have reflctx on my windows just put It on so don't know much yet. I thought about 2 layers but I don't think it would do much better. I think some things we have to accept and not worrying trying to make it better. I think scamp would and so would the other manufactures but some things are just not possible.

in your case I would go with what is the norm and improve your heating as much as you can. if camping long term figure out how to get the air stopped under the trailer and go from there.

some things we just have to live with!

good luck

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:59 AM   #26

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Need insulation help!

I receive more and more packages cushioned with sheets of white flexible small cell foam. I am not sure about long term durability but its way tougher than reflectrix and has a much higher R value with its small cells. It might be great in a RV. I would hesitate to use any permeable material in an RV. Moisture is just too ever present.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:18 AM   #27

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
I completely restored a 17' boler. For the interior finish I bought a 20 lb spray contact cement tank from the cabinet and countertop wholesaler. I used it to adhere Relectix to the inside. then taped all the seams with foil tape. I went to an automotive upholster place and ordered automotive / marine headliner. I used the same contact cement for this as well. There are several advantages to using the auto and marine headliner product. It is mold mildew resistant. It molds into the shapes of the curved interior, you can push it into and around shapes which means way less seams. But most importantly the thing I found out in researching products is fir rating. Lots of carpets are rated for floors but not for walls and ceilings. I tested the products and indoor outdoor carpet and things like that burn quite aggressively on a wall or ceiling. So take that into consideration.

Hope that helps!

Bryan
Bryvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:09 PM   #28

Registry
Ozite is available locally in several colors and two textures. It would be a good wall covering over the reflextix.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:09 AM   #29

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
I'd go with some sort of closed-cell foam rather than reflectix as a middle layer. It's a radiant barrier, so you won't get much insulation from it unless there's an air gap on the shiny side (and the shiny side's pointing towards where you want the heat to stay)
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:35 AM   #30

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperVanCarl View Post
Has anybody heard of this company? It is closed cell insulation. Probably more in my budget then some of the competitors out there.

https://sprayfoamkit.com/spray-foam-insulation-kits/
:you can buy the same stuff at Lowes and do it yourself but if you use foam board make sure you use a water base glue or the other kind will eat the foam and it will all fall down.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:34 AM   #31

Missouri
bryan I would say you are our go to man for insulation. my 40f bus was done the same way. the one thing due to the small size of my scamper more is not always better. I just crank up my wave heater more for heat!

I admire you work

bob
Old 01-21-2018, 10:44 AM   #32

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
I am intrigued by the spray-in closed cell foam or glue-in sheet options but there is something basic that I don't understand yet. After you get your fiberglass RV insulated with the stuff, what comes next? What finished surface can you attach to this foam that looks presentable and will stay in place as your rig goes bumpy-d-bump down the road? What comes to my mind would be gluing or glassing furring strips with some kind of hard surface such as paneling.
Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:50 AM   #33

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
I'd go with some sort of closed-cell foam rather than reflectix as a middle layer. It's a radiant barrier, so you won't get much insulation from it unless there's an air gap on the shiny side (and the shiny side's pointing towards where you want the heat to stay)
Scamp uses reflextix and a marine fabric. The reflextix is glued directly to the shell and the marine fabric is glued directly to the reflextix.The result is an unsurpassed, effective and attractive wall lining. Years ago a vinyl coated closed cell foam was used, while it met minimal requirements and was easy to maintain it certainly was nowhere near as effective or comfortable.
The bubble wrap provides a sealed air gap which is coated on both sides with aluminum.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:40 AM   #34

Missouri
Floyd It works and does its purpose but with the thinness I doubt it gives much insulation I guess we just have to live with it. but it doesn't take much to heat and cool either. now those big rigs different story.

bob
Old 01-22-2018, 10:49 AM   #35

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I agree with others who say the foil on Reflectix is most effective for radiant energy, like sunshine. That means it probably is more effective when covering windows and windshields than walls. That said, it probably is easier to apply to curved surfaces than the alternatives, for most Do It Yourselfers, including me. Maybe two layers...

Spray foam is a good product, but can be pretty unforgiving. Maybe cover foam with reflectix?

I am still intrigued by using foam core blankets as a breathable alternative to rat fur.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:51 AM   #36

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
Floyd It works and does its purpose but with the thinness I doubt it gives much insulation I guess we just have to live with it. but it doesn't take much to heat and cool either. now those big rigs different story.

bob
I think the claim is R15, for the system. about the same as 4" of fiberglass wall insulation. Regardless... the walls never feel cold or hot to the touch, even at 10°F or in the direct sun of southern Florida. Most heat or cold transfer happens through the single pane windows especially on cold nights.
Solution? Reflextix window covers!
Old 01-22-2018, 11:14 AM   #37

Name: MURRAY
Trailer: Ventura
British Columbia (BC)
Smile insulation

Refextic is about R 1. Yes R 1.
If you leave a 1" air space, this air space is R 2.
Being aluminum faced there is a reflective property which radiates the heat back to you. This is not rated as an R value but it sure feels good. This is a good way to go.
Go and Enjoy
MurrayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:18 PM   #38

Name: jerry
Trailer: havasu
California
lizard skin

I have a Havasu trailer, the roof is real curvy. last year I applied lizardskin to the ceiling (two gallons), learned about it this web site. wished I had sprung for the spray gun, $85, but was told I could paint on, but actually ended up kind of troweling it on, came out alrite. they claim the insulation can account for 25 to 30 degrees and control the condensation? So far it's been Ok, one of the benefits of this product is it only has to be applied about to 1/8". cost was $175 for the two gallons, just throwing out another idea
jerry theros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:46 PM   #39

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayC View Post
Refextic is about R 1. Yes R 1.
If you leave a 1" air space, this air space is R 2.
Being aluminum faced there is a reflective property which radiates the heat back to you. This is not rated as an R value but it sure feels good. This is a good way to go.
Go and Enjoy
As part of the wall covering in the Scamp, it works well. It also works well to block the cold on windows.

Ultimately that's what counts, no matter how many pirates endorse it with an "R" factor! Even with only one eye and half sense, some of them seem willing to give half an arm and a leg for the stuff, once they get "hooked" on it! I guess it keeps their timbers from shivering!
Old 01-22-2018, 04:02 PM   #40

Missouri
insulation

I doubt if 1/8 of anything would do much I don't think reflectix does much just created a place to glue headliner on.

I think a good heater and a/c does more good and just forget insulatin in these little trailers probably any of them if the truth is known.

bob