Need insulation help! - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2018, 09:19 PM   #41

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
I doubt if 1/8 of anything would do much I don't think reflectix does much just created a place to glue headliner on.

I think a good heater and a/c does more good and just forget insulatin in these little trailers probably any of them if the truth is known.

bob
What year is your Scamp?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:35 PM   #42

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Scamp's fiberglass, reflectix, rat fur sandwich is a pretty great combination. The whole assembly rates at about R 2-3, not the R 15 Scamp claims. Still its enough to prevent condensation and is much warmer than a nylon tent wall and 50 cents worth of propane will get you through most cool nights.

Reflective surfaces must face at least a ¾ inch layer of dry air to be an effective barrier to radiant heat flow, which is what you have when you cover your windows or vents. Within a Scamp's wall they are nearly useless in blocking radiant heat flow as well as the important conductive heat flow. Its the small air pockets that keep you warm by blocking all types of heat flow. So plain clear non-reflective bubble wrap would work as well below the rat fur.

A product with smaller cells would be even better. Reflectix cells are too big and encourage convective loops, which move heat quite nicely. The rat fur probably saves more propane than the Reflectix.

John

Pic of Lynx at Yosemite Valley.
Attached Thumbnails
lynx at yosemite 2.jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:11 PM   #43

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
Scamp's fiberglass, reflectix, rat fur sandwich is a pretty great combination. The whole assembly rates at about R 2-3, not the R 15 Scamp claims. Still its enough to prevent condensation and is much warmer than a nylon tent wall and 50 cents worth of propane will get you through most cool nights.

Reflective surfaces must face at least a ¾ inch layer of dry air to be an effective barrier to radiant heat flow, which is what you have when you cover your windows or vents. When in a Scamp's wall they are totally useless in blocking radiant heat flow as well as the much more important conductive heat flow. Its the small air pockets that keep you warm by blocking conductive heat flow. So plain clear non-reflective bubble wrap would work as well below the rat fur.

A product with smaller cells would be even better. Reflectix cells are too big and encourage convective loops, which move heat quite nicely. The rat fur probably saves more propane than the Reflectix.

John

Pic of Lynx at Yosemite Valley.
It has often been proven that bumblebees can't fly!
Experience proves that the system is effective for the application.
I have owned and slept in a lot of the competition in extreme temperatures, both hot and cold and have not experienced better.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:33 PM   #44

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Floyd,

Its the air cells keeping you warm, not the reflective surfaces buried in the wall. When covering your windows the foil really helps. There you have the air space necessary for an effective radiant barrier.

John

PS. Have you tried campers with an inch or two of foam insulation? I have not, but expect them to be more comfortable.
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:48 PM   #45

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
Floyd,

Its the air cells keeping you warm, not the reflective surfaces buried in the wall. When covering your windows the foil really helps. There you have the air space necessary for an effective radiant barrier.

John

PS. Have you tried campers with an inch or two of foam insulation? I have not, but expect them to be more comfortable.
I cut my window covers to fit the glass flush inside the frame.
As I said earlier, the walls have never felt hot or cold to the touch.
Thermopane windows would improve interior comfort too.
Since the trailer was designed for use in conditions which require only single pane windows and the reflextix, ratfur combination far exceeds the comfort capability of those windows, anything more would be excessive, and I believe less reliable over time.
Excellence is enough for me, especially since perfection is unattainable.

I live in Illannoy and have standard construction in my house. I can not tell what the weather is outside without going out or checking the internet. My utility bills are low enough that it would take a lifetime to lower them enough more to pay for a house with the marginal increases in insulation to reach maximum efficiency.
Optimum is not only enough it is the smart choice.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:12 AM   #46

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
john I sold food service supplies to hospitals in my mix were the insulated mugs you see on hospital trays. one company sold air insulated another company came out with foam the hospitals ran tests it didn't matter.

seems strange though!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:04 AM   #47

Name: Jeremiah
Trailer: 1980 Travelcraft G30 Chevrolet Van
Indiana
Than you for the help everybody. We have decided to go with Spray foam. I will upload photos soon.
CamperVanCarl is offline   Reply With Quote