Need new battery - currently inside - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2016, 02:22 PM   #21

Name: J
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
As I am searching, I am looking for a pure deep cycle battery, it seems these wouldn't be listed as having CCA. I can get a decent price on an Optima Yellow Top, but it seems their Blue Top version (they make a deep cycle and non-deep cycle) is the same thing but has the terminals (threaded stud) I need. I am trying to avoid dual starting/deep cycle batteries, as they tend to be less efficient at the deep cycle part.
JBjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #22

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
I use the Lifeline 4D battery 4D AGM Batteries - Lifeline | Fisheries Supply inside our trailer.
Dave & Paula
It seems that these are phenomenal batteries. That model would be crazy overkill for my situation. Some of their other models may work.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:50 PM   #23

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBjunior View Post
It seems that these are phenomenal batteries. That model would be crazy overkill for my situation. Some of their other models may work.
I am using a Optima Yellow Top D51 (38 amp hours). This works great for my Trillium 4500. The loads are: eight 1156 LED bulbs (each bulb draws .12 amps at 12 VDC), and one LP gas detector (draws .075 amps at 12 VDC).

The battery discharges down to 50% in four or five days based on average 5 of the 1156 LED bulbs being used 5 hours per day, and the LP gas detector being using 24 hours per day.

Beyond four or five days (haven't had to do this), I can partially re-charge the battery using my smart charger powered by a pure sine wave inverter in my tow vehicle. Other charging options would be a solar panel or a generator.

Keep in mind that a battery is ONLY needed if you plan to camp without shore power.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:56 PM   #24

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
I am using a Optima Yellow Top D51 (38 amp hours). This works great for my Trillium 4500. The loads are: eight 1156 LED bulbs (each bulb draws .12 amps at 12 VDC), and one LP gas detector (draws .075 amps at 12 VDC).

The battery discharges down to 50% in four or five days based on average 5 of the 1156 LED bulbs being used 5 hours per day, and the LP gas detector being using 24 hours per day.

Beyond four or five days (haven't had to do this), I can partially re-charge the battery using my smart charger powered by a pure sine wave inverter in my tow vehicle. Other charging options would be a solar panel or a generator.

Keep in mind that a battery is ONLY needed if you plan to camp without shore power.
Thank you very much, good information.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:58 PM   #25

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBjunior View Post
For the Optima Yellow Top D51, fully charged = 13.1 volts (resting voltage). 50% charged = 12.2 volts (resting voltage). Resting voltage is measured by waiting 2 hours after charging or discharging the battery. Charging voltage will be higher; discharging voltage will be lower.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:06 PM   #26

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Best value for deep cycle AGM battery.true deep cycle..AMAZON....UB121000-45978....12 volt group 27 size...100AH. By Universal Power Group...excellent reviews..
One year warranty...one reviewer indicated in use in RV for 4 years plus.
Cost $149.99. Shipping $10. ......BEAT THAT !!!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:11 PM   #27

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Crazy to consider a battery costing $1,000 !

Lithium Ion batteries are a dangerous fire hazard.

Not in my RV !
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:00 PM   #28

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
You might want to check out Odyssey batteries.
I use them for industrial UPS in critical applications and they have a good performance history and long life.

ODYSSEY battery - Design Advantages

Marine Battery Specifications – ODYSSEY battery
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:08 AM   #29
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I received this PM from Brian BP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz
Since the electrolyte in an AGM is a gel, equilizing is not necessary

While an AGM battery may not need (or should not have) an equalizing cycle applied (check with the manufacturer), it does not have gelled electrolyte. While both gel and AGM batteries are sealed lead-acid designs, the electrolyte is handled very differently. The electrolyte in an AGM battery is liquid, absorbed into a mat of glass fibres.

Brian

My quote was lifted from a comment I made about an AGM failure on an early Parkliner. While AGM batteries and Gel batteries are different I'm not sure the difference in construction is important. What is important is the risk of thermal runaway due to improper ventilation and charging.

Here is the Parkliner battery thread for those that are interested. Note, while it has been edited by the powers that be, the pictures tell the story.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ner-58244.html

Thermal Runaway is a positive feedback scenario where an increase in current causes an increase in temperature which causes an increase in current which causes an increase in temperature..... While I'm sure there are some who could explain it in more detail, what's important is the conclusion. All lead acid batteries are potentially dangerous and should be treated as such. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:41 AM   #30

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
When I had my Surfside, I took it to Reece at Escape Trailers and he put 2 deep cycle 6 volt batteries
inside under the front bunk in a double battery box. He then vented it to the outside but on the side of
the trailer, not the front so water would not come in the vent. Worked great and left me with room on the
hitch for two propane bottles and my bike rack.
Marina

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

Tags
battery