Need new battery - currently inside - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2016, 08:17 PM   #1

Name: J
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Need new battery - currently inside

1978 Trillium 1300, previous owner moved the battery inside under the front bunk. I think it was moved inside because a second propane tank was added on the tongue. It is an Interstate SRM-24. Because of my current location and schedule, I haven't utilized it in 2 years and wasn't smart enough to put a maintainer on it (even though I own one) and it is deeply sulfated.

If I am going to purchase a new battery, and intend to keep it inside, what are my options?
JBjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:34 PM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
If you want to keep it inside, I believe your best to go with an AGM battery, but I'm not an expert.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:04 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Either go with the AGM battery or make sure that your new acid bath battery is placed in a sealed battery box that is then vented to the outdoors.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:53 AM   #4

North Carolina
Is there a particular AGM battery that anyone has had luck with?
Old 03-04-2016, 04:37 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
An AGM is the only lead acid battery that UPS will deliver so you can buy on line. They aren't cheap. My group 24 Lifeline was about $250. Napa and Sears used to carry Optima but I'm not sure they carry the blue one which is the Marine battery. Unless you plan on keeping the trailer for a very long time a Walmart $80 special is a less expensive option. In either case I'd move the battery to the tongue. It's a safer location in my opinion. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:49 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'd be nervous keeping an expensive AGM battery on the tongue, where it is vulnerable to theft.

I'd also hate to make a hole in the shell for a vent for a conventional battery.

So, AGM inside or conventional outside for me.

As to which... for me it would depend on how much I used the trailer. The more use the more the expense of an AGM battery makes sense.

I remove our conventional battery between trips, since there is no power where I park the trailer. I keep it inside a storage room on a maintainer. Six years old and still going.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:11 AM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'd be nervous keeping an expensive AGM battery on the tongue, where it is vulnerable to theft.

I'd also hate to make a hole in the shell for a vent for a conventional battery.

So, AGM inside or conventional outside for me.

As to which... for me it would depend on how much I used the trailer. The more use the more the expense of an AGM battery makes sense.

I remove our conventional battery between trips, since there is no power where I park the trailer. I keep it inside a storage room on a maintainer. Six years old and still going.
The early Parkliner had 2 Optima blue batteries inside the trailer. There was a problem with overheating. There is a thread here with pictures of acid covered batteries. Parkliner moved the batteries to the tongue after that. My thought is they experienced thermal runaway, brought on by the equalizing cycle of the converter. Since the electrolyte in an AGM is a gel, equilizing is not necessary. AGM's are the safest lead acid you can buy which was my reason for buying one. And on the tongue is the safest place. As far as theft, I've yet to have anything stolen while camping. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:24 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Interesting, Raz. I hadn't heard those reports. I guess there won't be an AGM battery in my future. I have experienced theft while camping, but theft in storage is my bigger concern.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:59 AM   #9

Name: Stephen
Trailer: NotYet
Ohio
Has anyone here at the fiberglassrv tried lithium batteries as a replacement for lead acid?
apfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:31 AM   #10

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
I currently have a topic about batteries. I need a new one. My AGM research indicates that AGM is the way to go. Since your battery was moved inside AGM is a must for your situation as they are vent free and can be stored inside.
Check AMAZON as they offer the lowest price ($229-$250) delivered for a 100AH Exide brand group 31 size 12volt deep cycle.
With the battery inside DO NOT use a standard venting lead acid battery.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:10 PM   #11

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I have a lead acid battery with vent tube installed and plumbed overboard and also in a plastic battery box.
It is a group 29 from Costco and the vents were modified for the venting and moulded in place with ABS plastic.
If you install the AGM like goes in my VW TDI you would still have to hook up vent tubes.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:43 PM   #12

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Just did more AGM battery research...BEST BUY SO FAR....Amazon: Universal power group 45879 sealed Lead Acid AGM 100AH group 27 size deep cycle battery...excellent reviews from many....$149.99 + $10 shipping.
One RV owner reports 5 years of service and still going strong.

Redbarron55, My current battery location although inside is in a vented compartment. AGM Batteries do not require venting....spill proof and factory sealed...no maintenance required.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:28 PM   #13

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
I have a lead acid battery with vent tube installed and plumbed overboard and also in a plastic battery box.
It is a group 29 from Costco and the vents were modified for the venting and moulded in place with ABS plastic.
If you install the AGM like goes in my VW TDI you would still have to hook up vent tubes.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
As an owner of a tdi and as someone that just helped installed an AGM in a neighbor's tdi, why does that particular AGM need vent tubes?
Old 03-04-2016, 05:38 PM   #14

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Just did more AGM battery research...BEST BUY SO FAR....Amazon: Universal power group 45879 sealed Lead Acid AGM 100AH group 27 size deep cycle battery...excellent reviews from many....$149.99 + $10 shipping.
One RV owner reports 5 years of service and still going strong.

Redbarron55, My current battery location although inside is in a vented compartment. AGM Batteries do not require venting....spill proof and factory sealed...no maintenance required.
Thank you for your research and I am sure it will help others. I live in Alaska, and Amazon won't ship batteries here. Napa/Carquest are my only local options, with Costco and a few other chains possibly available on my way "out of here."*

*I will be leaving my isolated area of AK, driving through Canada, and then continuing on to the east coast of the US. Ideally, I would have a battery before I left.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:47 PM   #15

North Carolina
Someone in the other thread mentioned updating the converter. I have the original one installed and it works fine. In the other thread it mentioned that it will kill the battery, or something to that effect. Is that true? If so, what is a good converter that looks like it belongs/fits in the same spot?
Old 03-04-2016, 06:27 PM   #16

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBjunior View Post
As an owner of a tdi and as someone that just helped installed an AGM in a neighbor's tdi, why does that particular AGM need vent tubes?
If you look carefully at the top there are two oval "tubes" that vent the battery.
If the battery were to be installed in a closed space these two ports should be plumbed to the outside in the event of a problem that caused outgassing.

They don't need to be hooked up since there is some ventilation under the hood.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:01 PM   #17

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
If you look carefully at the top there are two oval "tubes" that vent the battery.
It the battery were to be installed in a closed space these two ports should be plumbed to the outside in the event of a problem that caused outgassing.

They don't need to be hooked up since there is some ventilation under the hood.
Good copy.... I re-read what you wrote. When you said "like goes in my TDI" I thought you were saying you installed the tubes on your TDI. I advised the neighbor that he didn't need the tubes for that same reason, it is vented under the hood.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:12 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by apfixer View Post
Has anyone here at the fiberglassrv tried lithium batteries as a replacement for lead acid?
Way to spendy for me. Here's a group 31 replacement:

12V 100AH Lithium Ion Battery | Deep Cycle Lithium Ion Battery | Smart Battery

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:15 PM   #19

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Way to spendy for me. Here's a group 31 replacement:

12V 100AH Lithium Ion Battery | Deep Cycle Lithium Ion Battery | Smart Battery
You're just being ridiculous... everyone knows you need to shop around :

12V 100Ah,StarkPower 'UltraEnergy" Lithium Ion Battery (LiFePO) Energy Storage Battery
Old 03-04-2016, 09:52 PM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I use the Lifeline 4D battery 4D AGM Batteries - Lifeline | Fisheries Supply inside our trailer.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery