Need replacment fan motor for Suburban NT12-se furnace - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2019, 08:36 PM   #1

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
Need replacment fan motor for Suburban NT12-se furnace

hello all.
I am looking for suggestions from those how may have purchased a fan motor for Suburban NT12-se or know of a dependable supplier. I have a '2003' Scamp 16'. The fan is giving up the ghost. I from the sound of it I doubt that it will make another trip before either freezes up or runs to slow to operate the Sail switch. I could possibly oil the motor as a temporary fix, but would rather replace it and have years of service.

I appreciate your suggestions.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:44 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I'd also order a spare sail switch.

https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/...12-volt-520949

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:24 PM   #3

California
Thanks, tractors 1.
It will save pulling it back out later.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:34 PM   #4

California
Thanks again.
pdxrv was the main sight I had found and was considering. I just had not any experience with them. Have you used them. I've read your posts in the past.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:56 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry in Fowler View Post
Thanks again.
pdxrv was the main sight I had found and was considering. I just had not any experience with them. Have you used them. I've read your posts in the past.
Yes, I've used them a few times. I'm located maybe 20 miles from their shop in Portland, Oregon.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:16 PM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry in Fowler View Post
hello all.
I am looking for suggestions from those how may have purchased a fan motor for Suburban NT12-se or know of a dependable supplier. I have a '2003' Scamp 16'. The fan is giving up the ghost. I from the sound of it I doubt that it will make another trip before either freezes up or runs to slow to operate the Sail switch. I could possibly oil the motor as a temporary fix, but would rather replace it and have years of service.

I appreciate your suggestions.
There have been several postings here on FGRV about this issue. You can find them using the search tab with the title “quieting the suburban furnace”
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:28 AM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
There have been several postings here on FGRV about this issue. You can find them using the search tab with the title “quieting the suburban furnace”
Dave & Paula
Big difference between quieting a properly functioning fan and fixing a defective one. It sounds like the OP is saying that the fan has been OK but is now making a noise consistent with pending failure.

But a little searching is still advised.. see this thread. Perhaps a little repair is all that is needed.

If a replacement is needed.. I have bought from this seller before.. they are OK I think:
https://www.adventurerv.net/suburban...6-p-26416.html

But its a common part and better price might be found, such as:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/RV-Fu...-p/41-1233.htm

See the notes in the listings for years that are compatible.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:48 AM   #8

California
Thank you all. I appreciate the information.
Charlie, I feel a little envy for your location. I've been through you area a few time always enroute. Need to make it a destination some day.
David, I spent several hours going through post and found a lot of good information, but what I have received here. Although the heater is a little noisy on start up its not that bothersome to us.
Gordon, you are correct. The motor is going out. Screechs, badly. It won't be long till it locks up. I have it disconnected. If it locks up resistance will blow fuses if not burn wires. Thank for the information.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:40 PM   #9

California
Just wanted to say that after looking at other sites. I went with PDXRV. I ordered the sail switch as well.
I liked that they encluded gaskets and other items.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:16 PM   #10

Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
While you are ordering the motor , change out the fans! The new style for the Nt16SEQ fit and make alot of differnce in the sound level. Btw if the motor is squealing it probably just need oil as they use bushings not bearings. Here is a write-up I did for the Casita forum on the mod
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Suburban NE12SE Fan swap DRAFT1.pdf (333.0 KB, 33 views)
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:07 PM   #11

California
Think you. I'll look in to ordering the fans.
I'm going ahead with the motor. I agree that oil may do a temporary repair, but I dont want to pull the unit again for the same problem. Before retiring I worked in a spectrum of residential maintenance and repair in public housing. After 6 hand surgeries I had to retire. I changed out my first compressor in a 1983. I agree that you can oil the bushing and many times get them to run a season, but it will usually start again after sitting for a time. I have had a couple build up enough resistance to burn the wiring in the unit with out flipping the breaker. Usually the supply wiring is larger than the units wiring.
As much as anything I don't want to get on the floor more than necessary. I've also had 4 knee surgeries.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:05 PM   #12

Alberta
Registry
If you are replacing the motor and the fans, I would contact them and order the motor for the NT16SEQ. It runs slower and is the match for the new blades. The Casita group has been slowing down the original motor with a speed control PWM to move less air. It is basically the only difference from the older furnaces. The difference between the NT16se and the NT12se was just the size of the jet and the NT16seq was just a "quiet" version
Old 01-15-2019, 01:24 AM   #13

California
Just thought I would let you know I've ordered both the motor and I ordered the fans for the quieter 16.
I'm slow to change the fans because if I slowed the fans in a residential unit it would cause the heat exchanger to over heat and shut down on a limit switch. Also the sail switch will not operate with low air flow. From what I've read it doesn't appear that these are a problem with the suburbans. Since the sail switch works and the u it's don't shut down on the high limit they should be safe.
I'm curious so I'll install the old fans and use it on a couple of trips checking n put and out put temps. Then install the fans and check the temps for a while.
Thanks again for the information and advice.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:51 AM   #14

Alberta
Registry
When you see the new fan you will understand why it will move more air. It has 7 blades and is very efficient. Also be aware that the specs for the furnace say that they can operate down to 10.5 volts safely. The sail switch will work to even a lower voltage of around 8-9 v dc. We have found that running the motor at about 11 volts works well. Remember that if you are on 110ac you are feeding around 14volts to the unit and the fan is turning very fast. The other advantage of the PWM is it will run the fan the same speed whether you are on battery or shore power and some of the PWM units have a slow start to spin up slowly. Tests were done with infrared temp sensors to make sure it didn't get too hot. With the newer motor and fans , you are basically building an SEQ model as every other part is the same as the older furnace. I understand the concern of messing with a furnace. I had the same concerns but could not use mine with that fan noise.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:06 AM   #15

California
Dudley, I appreciate the information. It does alliviate my worries.
Thank you
Old 12-11-2023, 02:33 PM   #16

Name: Roger
Trailer: Belle coiffure
NS
Those motors are easy to take apart
Lookinforaplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 11:56 PM   #17

California
I purchased a new one at the time and installed it. Working perfectly. They are easy to disassemble and grease. They are likely to fail again.

Tags
furnace