Need to Jack Up and Block during Winter? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #1

Name: Azer
Trailer: Scamp 16', 2007
Colorado
Need to Jack Up and Block during Winter?

hi all,

Thanks to all the folks who helped with some questions I had when I first bought my Scamp (16', 2007) this summer. We're really enjoying it!
We live in Fort Collins, CO and I'm going to winterize it this weekend. I read the manual and mostly follow it. I was a bit surprised that they recommended that I jack up the axle and block it (to take the weight off the suspension). Is this something that makes a significant difference and that people recommend? I don't know if the previous owner did this or not.

Thanks!
Azer

PS - Where is the "service access to gas hot water heater"? The place I need to get to so I can drain the hot water heater.
Azer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #2

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
Jacking it up takes the pressure off the rubber in the torsion axle. But don't jack it up by the axle! Jack it up by the frame. I use jackstands on both sides just behind the axle. I still put the legs down in the back so it doesn't rock.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
[QUOTE=Azer;339083
PS - Where is the "service access to gas hot water heater"? The place I need to get to so I can drain the hot water heater.[/QUOTE]

Its the big white hatch cover on the outside of the trailer where you light the hot water heater. There is a pressure release and a white plug that needs to be unscrewed to let the water out. I leave the plug off during the winter due to the design of the tanks its not possible to get all the water completely out of them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #4

Name: Azer
Trailer: Scamp 16', 2007
Colorado
How high should I have the front of the trailer? Should I make it roughly level (as though I'm camping)? Can I do this one side at a time with 1 jack, or do I need 2 jacks?
thank you
Azer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #5

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
One side at a time is fine, you want it high enought so the weight is off the axel, only has to be about 4-5 inches higher than normal. I keep mine level as I sometimes have work to do inside in winter.
Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azer View Post
How high should I have the front of the trailer? Should I make it roughly level (as though I'm camping)? Can I do this one side at a time with 1 jack, or do I need 2 jacks?
thank you
I installed a drain hole in the rear floor of my UHaul and keep the nose up enough to ensure that any water that might leak in will run to the drain. If you have no drain, you might want to think about where any collected water would do the least damage.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I keep mine level as well but its stored inside. I noticed your in Colorado so you may want to put it nose down or nose up a little if its outside to allow snow to slide off it a little easier. Just make sure if you put it nose up that you keep the rear stabilizers down so when you walk into it it doesn't tilt a lot more than you want it to ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote