Needing help for above the Stove Cabinet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2010, 11:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
2009 Casita Liberty 17'

We want to change the cabinet above the stove. The cabinet has 'precious' space that is covered by the fiberglass wall. 'Things' get lost ..... you have to reach in and 'feel around' to see what's hidden in the dead space.

Hubby things we could do something similar to what a Casita Liberty owner from San Diego (sorry forgot the names) did. Me saw their Casita at Lake San Antonio. Cut the opening on the left and right and make a larger door.

OK ................. I'm wondering (always gets me in trouble) why not 'create' some partition and then make two doors. Maybe using fiberglass that was cut out to widen the opening, as a divider/separator. Hubby wants to use a wooden brace, attach fiberglass (cut from the opening), to retain the uniform look of the Casita. Need some feedback especially 'what's wrong with this idea'? (?????)

(Still cringing that we're considering a permanent change to our Little White House)

Anne3358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:39 AM   #2

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
What you could do would be to completely remove the cabinet and put it into storage -- then make a cabinet that pleases you. As long as you constructed it so it mounted using the same holes, you could return to the stock configuration.

Our Scamp is 25 years old, and where it was possible, I also did this in case it would be desirable to go back to stock.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
I'm wondering (always gets me in trouble) why not 'create' some partition and then make two doors. Maybe using fiberglass that was cut out to widen the opening, as a divider/separator. Hubby wants to use a wooden brace, attach fiberglass (cut from the opening), to retain the uniform look of the Casita. Need some feedback especially 'what's wrong with this idea'? (?????)
Our Scamp has upper cabinets with these little openings in them, too, but I've noted the 3" wide verticals in between the doors all have a 1x1 wood member backing them. Makes me wonder whether there is a structural component to the design that helps support the floor of the cabinet and prevent sag.

When we decided to replace the ugly fake wood Scamp cabinets over our dinette with something that matched our fiberglass kitchen cabinets I built new cabinets from 1/4" birch plywood and 1x2 & 2x2 lumber.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Countertop___Stove_Side__1_.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	25934
before

Name:	UpperDinetteCabInProgress1_480x300.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	25935
cabinet up

Name:	AM_FM_DVD_TV__1_.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	25936
now with a door

Name:	Rear_cabinet_rounded_edge_graphic.gif
Views:	110
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	25937
How to get that rounded edge look.

To get a good color match I took a scrap of fiberglass to the paint department and had them mix up a glossy paint to match. THe new cabinets aren't exactly the same white and they're not quite as glossy as the actual fiberglass cabinets, but it's close enough that neither of us really notices. They just kinda blend in.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 86 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Our Scamp has upper cabinets with these little openings in them, too, but I've noted the 3" wide verticals in between the doors all have a 1x1 wood member backing them. Makes me wonder whether there is a structural component to the design that helps support the floor of the cabinet and prevent sag.

When we decided to replace the ugly fake wood Scamp cabinets over our dinette with something that matched our fiberglass kitchen cabinets I built new cabinets from 1/4" birch plywood and 1x2 & 2x2 lumber.

To get a good color match I took a scrap of fiberglass to the paint department and had them mix up a glossy paint to match. THe new cabinets aren't exactly the same white and they're not quite as glossy as the actual fiberglass cabinets, but it's close enough that neither of us really notices. They just kinda blend in.
Nice work, i want to make new doors for mine. I like the pie door idea. I also like your upper cabinet supports, I tried to think of something cool but all i could come up with was chrome. You will see those in chtome or something close in my rig this year. Thanks for the idea.
Jacob S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Quote:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Great job .... love your doors. I love glass doors .... helps when you search for your 'stuff'. <g>
Anne3358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:04 AM   #6

Registry
Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Great job .... love your doors. I love glass doors .... helps when you search for your 'stuff'. <g>
They're not actually glass. It's punched aluminum.

Name:	07Jul12_Chest_of_Drawers_Trim_640x480.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	26266
Old 02-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #7

Trailer: Aliner
Peter... slightly off topic, but how high above the floor is your new extended loft?
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Peter... slightly off topic, but how high above the floor is your new extended loft?
The loft extension is at the same level as the original Scamp loft, about 40" above floor level plus the thickness of the mattress. There are two steps that make getting up and down fairly easy. My loft project has its own thread if you want to learn more. You'll find a rough set of plans toward the end of the thread.

Name:	07Jul12Chest_of_Drawers___Stairs_640x480.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	26281