New 2000 Watt Inverter Generator - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
New 2000 Watt Inverter Generator

This thread deals with the new Champion 2000 watt inverter generator now available at Costco and Sam's Clubs (at least at many of them), for under $500. It doesn't show when I do a search for it at the Sam's Club web site, but they are sitting on the shelf here in Pensacola, Fl. It looks like it might be an alternative to the Honda or Yamaha for those that want to spend about half as much. There are 63 pages to this thread and these guys really give it a going-over.

Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:27 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
This is a Chinese copy of a Yamaha design. It still will not run a roof AC unit - Peak is 2,000W, 1,600W continuous. If Champion will honor warranty and make parts available might be worth the chance.

We bit the bullet and got a Yamaha 2400 hc - Will start and run a roof AC without a heavy duty starting capacitor and has good warranty and support. The closest Chinese copy was only $200 less than the Yamaha.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:16 PM   #3

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
I read many negative reviews on the Champion (the smaller one 800 W?), I also bit the bullet and spent $750 new for my Yamaha after searching for the lowest price I could find. I hope you have good luck with it and be sure to give us all a review after you get some run time.

Here is a very good review on the 2000.
Champion 2000 Watt Inverter Generator - 73531i
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #4

Trailer: Helite
We purchased the cummins/onan 3000Inverter from Costco when they had it on sale. It powers everything and I have it connected to the house for use this winter should the power go out. We run only the bare necessities in the house during power outages. It has a Robin (Subaru) engine and is made in Japan. Looks like a Honda and very sound proff.

I had a KIPOR and it would not run the AC even with the special CAP installed. Nuf Said
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz77 View Post
I hope you have good luck with it and be sure to give us all a review after you get some run time.

Here is a very good review on the 2000.
Champion 2000 Watt Inverter Generator - 73531i
I didn't buy one, I have no use for one right now, (even though one would have more than enough power to operate the AC in EggCampers with no difficulty). It's a lot of reading getting through the 63 pages of that string, and the first part is mainly speculation and guesses, (much of it wrong), but once you get into it, there are reports from several people who have bought and tested these generators - some very extensively. Almost all of them are very impressed with the engineering, quality of build, performance, and company support.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:52 AM   #6

Registry
By the way, can someone tell me where the Yamaha and Honda inverter generators are made? I was under the impression that they were also made in China, (but I could easily be wrong).
Old 11-24-2010, 03:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
My 2009 EU2,000 Honda says made in Japan

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
By the way, can someone tell me where the Yamaha and Honda inverter generators are made? I was under the impression that they were also made in China, (but I could easily be wrong).
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:45 PM   #8

Ohio
Registry
Yep, my Yamaha is made in Japan as well.

By the way, I have recently been looking into LP generators and this one seems to have some real promise. I might be picking one up soon as another alternative, and propane stores indefinitely. 3500 W peak and 3000 W continuous for $449 shipped.

Amazon.com: ETQ PG30P11 3,500 Watt 7 HP 208cc 4-Cycle OHV Propane Powered Portable Generator: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Old 11-29-2010, 05:06 PM   #9

Registry
65db would not be real popular in many camp grounds and parks. Might be okay at home if the neighbors are far away or you only run it during the day.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom U View Post
65db would not be real popular in many camp grounds and parks. Might be okay at home if the neighbors are far away or you only run it during the day.
And it is not an inverter generator - it will run at 3600 RPM all the time. And, you might want to read the reviews at Amazon...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:58 PM   #11

Ohio
Registry
Almost all of the reviews on Amazon were good to excellent, I saw one bad review of a defective unit which was replaced at no charge for one that worked.

I would use this in off-grid camping at my uncles pond not at a campground or rv park.

Although it is not an invertor, it does say that it can run computer equipment. Also 65 db is not loud, about the same rating as normal conversation.

Weakest sound heard0dB
Whisper Quiet Library30dB
Normal conversation (3-5')60-70dB

"Alternator Technology Safely Delivers Electricity to Your Appliances
One of the most innovative features of the PG30P11 is its ETQ Clean Sine Alternator Technology that ensures low total harmonic distortion (THD). THD is a measure of the quality of the electricity produced by a generator, and THD above six percent can damage electronics and other components over time. With THD of less than five percent, the PG30P11 ensures high-quality, safe delivery of electricity from the generator to your electrical components. With low THD, this generator is computer-friendly, meaning it's completely safe to use with laptops, printers, desktop computers, and more. The PG30P11 will give you peace of mind knowing that your computer hardware is completely safe from power surges and bad-quality electricity."
Old 11-30-2010, 09:27 AM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Weakest sound heard0dB
Whisper Quiet Library30dB
Normal conversation (3-5')60-70dB
That "less than 60db" quoted by the manufacturer is at 23'. This is not a quiet generator, at least compared to the inverter generators.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:55 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
That "less than 60db" quoted by the manufacturer is at 23'. This is not a quiet generator, at least compared to the inverter generators.
That means that the 65db "normal conversation" at 23 feet would be a shouting match up close. Our Yamaha is rated at 59db-60db at full throttle. It is okay at 23 feet but is annoying if closer or when we are outside the trailer. 65db would be about 5 times louder if I remember correctly (I'm sure an engineer site-member can give an exact value) and would really be annoying for me. Check Ebay - there are inverter generators in the 60db range for not too much more than this one.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:29 PM   #14

Registry
Actually, it isn't quite that bad - although every 3 db increase is a doubling of power, it takes a 10 db increase to produce a subjective doubling. That is if you asked a bunch of people to turn something up until it was twice as loud, the average would be a measured (on an A weighted scale) 10 db increase.

As to distance, it follows the inverse square law, ie double the distance results in 1/4th the sound pressure level. There is a big difference in going from a normal conversation to sound levels from 23' away. The 23' is 7 meters, the standard distance used for measuring generator noise.

Using the calculator at db distance calculator, 65 db at 23' would be 86.21 at 2', or subjectively, about 4 times louder.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:46 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Using the calculator at db distance calculator, 65 db at 23' would be 86.21 at 2', or subjectively, about 4 times louder.
Great info and calculator!

Old 12-01-2010, 11:55 PM   #16

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I bought a $449.00 Westinghouse 2000 w inverter gen at Costco on Sunday.
I put some gas in it after filling the crank case and tried to start it. Wouldn't start.
I read the owners manual again and noticed that it stated it would start easier with a full tank of fuel. Filled it up and it started on the second pull.
I ran it for about an hour, it had a little miss never did go away. I attempted to start it again on Monday and it would not start until I topped off the fuel. I let it run for about 1/2 hour shut it off and tried to start it again. It wouldn't start until I topped off the fuel tank again.
I returned it on Tuesday. Who wants a generator that needs to be refueled every time you start it.
I guess it's time to bite the bullet and buy another Honda 2000 i.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #17

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I think it is best to pay the extra $$ and get an electric start. That way my spouse will B able to start a difficult to start generator.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote