New Axle? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2015, 11:23 AM   #1

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
New Axle?

I just got my 1999 Scamp 13 this last weekend. It appears, to me, that if MAY need a new axle. I understand that this is something that needs to be replaced on older trailers. Just wondering what type of cost is involved. I'll post a pic so I can get other's opinions on the need prior to making a decision.

I'd probably like the higher lift axle to accommodate some boon-docking better, plus I'd like to haul this trailer to Alaska in the not too distant future, so the extra clearance would help. What would be the going rate range I'd be looking at?
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:43 PM   #2

Name: Don
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
I put a new a Dexter axle on my Trillium this summer. It was $1100 Cdn for the axle and instillation. They lifted my egg off the frame to cut the old one off. Installed the new one and can add a 2" lift at any time I'd like.

Don
Don ravinerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:16 PM   #3

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
Reports are that Scamp will install one for under $500. Can't verify that for a fact but it seems right. A local trailer store (utility, landscape, horse trailer, etc) can order you an axle and install it for you. I would think custom work would need to be discussed with the technician at a trailer store near you. If you're up for it and you have a cutting torch, you could always take on the project yourself and if you then use a bolt on axle, you might find all this within your own wheel house of capability. The internet is stuffed with photo arrays, video clips and so forth showing dozens of trailer axle replacements and customizations.

The point is, I guess, that there are many ways to skin this cat, and way more trailers that get new torsion axles than just FB campers. Some get shock kits at the same time.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote