New Bigfoot 17.5 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2007, 01:47 PM   #21

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Deluxe
Val,

We've never towed off road so I can't give you first hand experience. Our hitch is attached to our old Dodge truck's metal box.

Plan on having to re-hang the curtains, pick up the silverware and anything else that may fly out of the cabinets and drawers if you travel off road. I'm not sure these fiberglass campers are designed for that kind of abuse. They flex alot and you may have some trouble with stress cracks. You may also need to reinforce the frame. These are some other things to consider.

Nita

Quote:
Hi Nita,

We will keep our eyes open for a Deluxe fifth with front bath! Have you taken yours on any rough roads? How do you think it would hold up to going over washboards, some ruts and sand (driven carefully, of course)?

Thanks for you input!

Val
Nita F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:01 PM   #22

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Quote:
Val,

We've never towed off road so I can't give you first hand experience. Our hitch is attached to our old Dodge truck's metal box.

Plan on having to re-hang the curtains, pick up the silverware and anything else that may fly out of the cabinets and drawers if you travel off road. I'm not sure these fiberglass campers are designed for that kind of abuse. They flex alot and you may have some trouble with stress cracks. You may also need to reinforce the frame. These are some other things to consider.

Nita

Hi Nita,

That makes sense. We have this particular road in mind that we tried to drive in my Nissan Altima (which has nearly no clearance), so we aren't intending to drive over huge boulders, just to be able to take it on this kind of dirt road. There are a few that are actually supposed to be that sturdy, and I just heard back from a couple on the Scamp owners website who said that they take their Scamp Deluxe fifth off-road all the time and haven't had any trouble, so I am hoping that, especially since they are only a couple of hours from us, they may be willing to let us come see theirs, check out what they have done to make it off-road ready, and share their travel experiences in more detail, so we can determine if the Scamp Deluxe fifth would work or if we'd have to go with an Escape instead. If we can feasibly make modifications to a Scamp that will make it more heavy-duty, we would certainly be willing to do so to avoid any damage to it down the bumpy road. If not, that narrows it down to an Escape fifth wheel, which we may have to travel to the company (Canada) to see for ourselves.

We are so excited to hit the road that it's hard to sit still through all the research! When we finally get one, we may have to call our tt/5er "Wigglebottom."

Val
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:22 PM   #23

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17G) / Chevy Astro AWD
Quote:
Hi Nita,

That makes sense. We have this particular road in mind that we tried to drive in my Nissan Altima (which has nearly no clearance), so we aren't intending to drive over huge boulders, just to be able to take it on this kind of dirt road. There are a few that are actually supposed to be that sturdy, and I just heard back from a couple on the Scamp owners website who said that they take their Scamp Deluxe fifth off-road all the time and haven't had any trouble, so I am hoping that, especially since they are only a couple of hours from us, they may be willing to let us come see theirs, check out what they have done to make it off-road ready, and share their travel experiences in more detail, so we can determine if the Scamp Deluxe fifth would work or if we'd have to go with an Escape instead. If we can feasibly make modifications to a Scamp that will make it more heavy-duty, we would certainly be willing to do so to avoid any damage to it down the bumpy road. If not, that narrows it down to an Escape fifth wheel, which we may have to travel to the company (Canada) to see for ourselves.

We are so excited to hit the road that it's hard to sit still through all the research! When we finally get one, we may have to call our tt/5er "Wigglebottom."

Val
Val, you may want to take a look at Ken James's modified Bigfoot.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/145203904pQUXfI

Yves.
Yves Pelchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:30 PM   #24

Update: Heard from a couple in the Yahoo Scamp Owner's Group that they take theirs off-road all the time without any problem.

Called the Scamp company and asked them if it was likely to cause the fifth wheel damage if we took it off-road and spoke with Jim, who said absolutely not, and that they would even put it on a higher hitch if we wanted, so that there is no chance of it hitting the road, ruts or washboards. He said he hadn't heard of any stress fractures happening in Scamp campers--but of course, he was a salesman, so I took that with a grain of salt.

He wanted to know what other brands we were looking at, and hadn't heard of the Escape fifth wheel, which we are also seriously considering, but had heard of Bigfoot (whose 17' G model we are evaluating this Saturday to see if it can be modified to suit our sleeping requirements for a double bed)--he said that he felt that Scamp builds the best quality fifth wheel in the business in that size. Also confirmed that it would tow just fine with our prospective truck, the Nissan V-6 Frontier.

Meanwhile, I got an email from the President of Escape Industries in response to my inquiry that also confirmed that we could safely and easily tow it with the Frontier.

I am impressed that I was able to get questions answered so quickly by both companies. Would very much like to see one of each to compare quality and features in person. The Scamp Fifth it looks as though we will be able to view, the Escape, we are waiting to hear of owner whereabouts for viewing.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:19 PM   #25

Quote:
Val, you may want to take a look at Ken James's modified Bigfoot.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/145203904pQUXfI

Yves.
Thanks, Yves, I had come across that modification, but we do not want to take the whole bathroom out...bathroom is important to us. We were hoping we could do that same modification in a Center Bath model by removing the wardrobe located to the left of the sofa in the manufacturer's layout picture... looking at both layouts (the Gaucho and the Center Bath), it looks as though the same amount of space for a bed would be created if one removed that wardrobe, but we've heard that that might not be so because of where wiring and other hookups are located, so we may have to pass on the Bigfoot and go for a Scamp or Escape fifth wheel instead, which both have a Queen size bed.

Val
Old 06-20-2007, 05:42 PM   #26

Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
Keith and Dee just purchased a 17' G that had the wardrobe removed. The bath door had an accordian door so it wouldn't need to open out, just across. The bed support slide in or folded in, I'm not sure. I'm sure he'll put a picture up if he chimes in.

Paul
jrnutpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:17 PM   #27

Quote:
Keith and Dee just purchased a 17' G that had the wardrobe removed. The bath door had an accordian door so it wouldn't need to open out, just across. The bed support slide in or folded in, I'm not sure. I'm sure he'll put a picture up if he chimes in.

Paul
Excellent to know that, thank you. Very smart way to get around needing to access the bathroom. Would love to see photos of Keith and Dee's modification.

Val
Old 06-20-2007, 10:38 PM   #28

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
The Escape fifth wheel is a strong contender, because of it's GVWR, but they are made in Canada and do not have dealerships, so we would not have an easy time viewing one--there are not any units to see in AZ. Also, it is 1.5 feet narrower in width than the Bigfoot travel trailers, so although it has a full queen bed, it also would have a rather constricted galley. If there is a Bigfoot travel trailer or fifth wheel model that would provide at least a full-size bed and still meet our GVWR requirements, then we would much appreciate hearing about it.
I was in a new Escape 5th wheel a few weeks ago. I did not feel constricted at all in the galley area. In fact I was impressed with how much room their appeared to be even with two of us in the galley at the same time. Was also amazed at the amount of storage space there was for food and clothing. The layout is well thought out. Left wishing I had a truck to pull one with.

Carol
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:20 AM   #29

Quote:
I was in a new Escape 5th wheel a few weeks ago. I did not feel constricted at all in the galley area. In fact I was impressed with how much room their appeared to be even with two of us in the galley at the same time. Was also amazed at the amount of storage space there was for food and clothing. The layout is well thought out. Left wishing I had a truck to pull one with.

Carol

Oh, this is good to hear. I so wish we'd seen the Escape fifth when it was in AZ--I am hoping we will learn of some within reasonable driving distance that we can see. My partner is leaning toward the Scamp fifth wheel because there are many of them around, so we can see and buy one more easily, but I still have some questions about how well it will hold up if taken on rough roads and how much maintenance it will need compared to the Escape or Bigfoot. I want to avoid having to repair something every time we drive down a rutted, bumpy road.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:30 AM   #30

Trailer: 80 HawaiiLo 16 ft
Quote:
Excellent to know that, thank you. Very smart way to get around needing to access the bathroom. Would love to see photos of Keith and Dee's modification.

Val
Here are a couple of pictures Paul was talking about. This mod was done by the prevous owners.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Dee and I have since unmodded it to suit our style. We left the folding door on the bath and that in turn made us put the wardrobe door on the side not wide enough to put on front. We'll mount a mirror on that wall.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Hope this helps. Good luck. Keith
Jayfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:05 AM   #31

Quote:
Here are a couple of pictures Paul was talking about. This mod was done by the prevous owners.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Dee and I have since unmodded it to suit our style. We left the folding door on the bath and that in turn made us put the wardrobe door on the side not wide enough to put on front. We'll mount a mirror on that wall.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Hope this helps. Good luck. Keith
Thank you, Keith, it does. BTW, how wide was the modified sleeping surface and do you know how the former owners did it? Extended with plywood?
Old 06-21-2007, 11:57 AM   #32

Trailer: 2007 17.5 ft Bigfoot (25B17.5G)
Registry
Val,
I'm now on my third Bigfoot 17.5...two CB's and now a G model. My advice to you is to call the Bigfoot factory up in Armstrong, B.C. Ask for Mark Holmes, the warranty manager, and ask him your specific questions about what you can and can not do with a Bigfoot TT.

Ron
Ron N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:11 PM   #33

Quote:
Val,
I'm now on my third Bigfoot 17.5...two CB's and now a G model. My advice to you is to call the Bigfoot factory up in Armstrong, B.C. Ask for Mark Holmes, the warranty manager, and ask him your specific questions about what you can and can not do with a Bigfoot TT.

Ron

Calling right now, thank you!
Old 06-21-2007, 12:36 PM   #34

Called and asked for Mark Holmes, but they referred me to Doug Sloan, who is more closely linked with their manufacturing processes, and he did confirm that they can't make much in terms of modification to the unit. I don't understand why a company that has such high quality products doesn't offer a double bed option when smaller trailers like Casita, Escape and Scamp all do. There are many couples who travel together and need a small footprint with a double bed and dinette. I think it's a huge oversight on their part.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:54 PM   #35

If you are able....come to Bandon Oregon on July 19-22 and look at all the trailer mods you'd ever want to see. I sincerly hope you'll put our rally on your schedule as soon as you buy your Bigfoot. Be it an old 5er like mine or a gaucho like Keith's.

Paul

BTW did you check out the Bigfoot 5er I sent you the link to in BC
Old 06-21-2007, 05:09 PM   #36

Quote:
If you are able....come to Bandon Oregon on July 19-22 and look at all the trailer mods you'd ever want to see. I sincerly hope you'll put our rally on your schedule as soon as you buy your Bigfoot. Be it an old 5er like mine or a gaucho like Keith's.

Paul

BTW did you check out the Bigfoot 5er I sent you the link to in BC

Hi Paul,

Still up in the air about which one. Yes, I did check out that link, thank you--it was a 25 footer, which is too big for us. Not sure how we would ever be able to inspect a used unit on sale in BC from AZ.

Have been in contact with the Escape Company too and they are terrific--they create their fiver from one piece of fiberglass, no rivets anywhere to come loose. The only downside is that there are none here to preview and they only make 4-5 per month, so we'd not get one until October if we ordered today. We don't wanna wait that long...but on the other hand, we do want something that will last us at least a decade!

That round up in Oregon sounds great--We will have to see if we can arrange to get up there (with or without a camper).
Old 06-22-2007, 01:44 PM   #37

Here is that link again.....

http://www.buysell.com/search/resultsvr2.a...&qu=bigfoot

When I bring it up, I find a 20' and a 26FWS.....I don't think the 26FWS is a 26 foot 5er. I think they only made the one size 5er and then they stopped making them after the fire in 94. But I've been proven wrong more times than I can count

Paul
Old 06-22-2007, 03:57 PM   #38

Quote:
Here is that link again.....
http://www.buysell.com/search/resultsvr2.a...&qu=bigfoot
When I bring it up, I find a 20' and a 26FWS.....I don't think the 26FWS is a 26 foot 5er. I think they only made the one size 5er and then they stopped making them after the fire in 94. But I've been proven wrong more times than I can count

Paul
The link has both a 1987 20' and a 1994 26FWS. My partner is adamant that a 20 year-old fiver is too old and won't consider that one, and when I investigated the 1994 26FWS, it was supposedly 27' in length with a slide-out and there was another the 26FW without a slide-out and an FW30 without a slideout that was 30.' But that information may not be accurate.

I just got off the phone with Reace, President of Escape, who personally answered my questions about hitches and shortbeds and told me about the Rally in Oregon that I believe you mentioned, Paul. Reace and apparently 3-4 other Escape fifth wheel owners will be there! We really want to come up there, but the airfare is really pricey, so it will depend on whether my partner can take time off of work--it's a 2 day drive one way. That would just be the best way to see all the fiberglass rigs in one spot.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:58 PM   #39

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
I am also considering the 17.5 Bigfoot, and I know what you mean about not being able to figure it out exactly from the brochures Ed. It had me doing a bit of .

Does anyone who owns one of the newer 17.5's have any interior shots with the gaucho bunk set up? That would be very helpful, as there is no dealer close to me. I was hoping I could take the lower and my son could take the upper bunk, then we could leave the dinette set up all the time. It's nice to have a place to sit at night after my son goes to sleep and not to have to convert the table to a bed all the time.
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:16 PM   #40

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I was really puzzled by all of these references to long Bigfoot trailers - with slide-outs - which were much older than the current 3000 series, since I thought that the earlier units had neither lengths beyond 25' nor slideouts of any kind. Now I see the photo in the BuySell listing of a fifth-wheel trailer which clearly has a Bigfoot label and is not moulded fiberglass, although it looks like it might have a moulded fiberglass roof.

Hmm... another whole range of Bigfoot products to confuse us.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot