New Bigfoot 17.5 - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-26-2007, 12:02 PM   #43

Name: Val
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Ah... the FW series of Bigfoot (didn't know they ever made anything but molded fiberglass!) are clearly conventional stick construction with aluminum siding... interesting!

Roger

Herman just emailed me photos of his (now sold) 19' Bigfoot Travel Trailer--the molds to which were apparently also destroyed in the 1994 fire. If we had learned of his earlier, we would have jumped at the chance to get it--it's the ideal size! Same layout as the 17.5 G but the gaucho is 52" wide and the dinette sleeping surface 43". Seems with how much time has passed that they would have had the opportunity to rebuild the molds.

Aside from posting a "Want Ad" on this forum, where should I post to try to get one to turn up?

Also, I believe that my partner and I will be attending the Rally--we are biting the bullet on the airfare because it's such an opportunity to meet everyone and see all the fiberglass RVs in one spot.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:32 PM   #44

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2007 Bigfoot 25' Rear Queen
Oregon
Registry
Well, Val, you and your partner need to check www.buysell.com, a Canadian website that has lots of trailers for sale, including Bigfoot. However, you and your partner may have to take off work to actually fly to B.C. or Alberta to check one out (that's if your partner can take off work).

Old 06-26-2007, 03:10 PM   #45

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Well, Val, you and your partner need to check www.buysell.com, a Canadian website that has lots of trailers for sale, including Bigfoot. However, you and your partner may have to take off work to actually fly to B.C. or Alberta to check one out (that's if your partner can take off work).
Hi Ron,

Paul gave me that link and we are searching it regularly. Not sure how we'd work things out if we find the right one, but just trust that we would.

We decided to bite the bullet on the high airfares and fly out for the Oregon Rally, even though we will have to come in late on Friday evening and leave on Sunday afternoon--could not resist the opportunity to see all the fiberglass rvs in one place and meet many of the members of this terrific site. If we are really lucky, maybe someone will be selling the perfect-for-us trailer or fifth wheel and we'll just have to figure out how to take it on the plane home (or arrange to have it come to us or drive to get it once we have our tow vehicle... we are trying to negotiate for one right now).

Val
Old 06-26-2007, 06:34 PM   #46

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Herman just emailed me photos of his (now sold) 19' Bigfoot Travel Trailer...

...where should I post to try to get one to turn up?
If we're talking about the moulded fiberglass 19' tandem-axle travel trailer (need to be specific, given the ever-increasing number of known Bigfoot models...), I assume that it is the model featured in the FiberglassRV Albums, at the end of the Bigfoot album, starting on page 2, with 01 1984-19ft-Exterior1. I looked at a Bigfoot 19', and although I passed on those photos were from a different seller, it was the same model; the layout is much like a Boler B1700SGH, although with a different closet placement.

I routinely see Bigfoot trailers advertised in the local version of the Boat, Bike and RV Trader, which is one of the Auto Trader publications; that's where I saw the 19' I toured.

Their site also provides online listings. Currently there are only two 1980-1995 Bigfoot travel trailers in the 18-22 ft range advertised for the Northern Alberta region listed; neither is a 19'. There could be some in other regions, but they are probably most common in B.C. and Alberta.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:20 PM   #47

Trailer: 2004 Casita 17 ft
I recently purchased a Bigfoot fifth wheel .It is a 1994 model of 20 or 21 feet. Contained in the literature was a 1995 sales brochure.In addition to the molded trailers and campers we are familiar with is a series called Oakland.The brochure state,"...we have developed a second product called OAKLAND , which is different from the BIGFOOT product group. For this group we use the fibercore Wall System, a registered product name." There follows a camper, a 26' fifth wheel,a 30 ' fifth wheel,and 3 motorhomes.These products are constructed of aluminum tubing and injected foam,with slab sides of fibergass. They have molded front and rear caps and belly with a rubber roof.Apparently they were made by Bigfoot but were a different breed. The brochure maintains Bigfoot industries as the parent company.
Dick Smith
Old 06-27-2007, 10:33 AM   #48

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
If we're talking about the moulded fiberglass 19' tandem-axle travel trailer (need to be specific, given the ever-increasing number of known Bigfoot models...
Quite right, that's the one, though Hermann's was newer and had more clearance underneath and in the wheel well, so more suited for backroads.

Thank you, I have added all those links to our favorites to conduct regular searches. We found one that is on consignment right now, so will try to contact the dealer to learn more about it.

Thanks for introducing me to the lovely photo gallery--I hadn't found my way to that part of the site yet!
Old 06-27-2007, 01:45 PM   #49

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
...These products are constructed of aluminum tubing and injected foam,with slab sides of fibergass...
Interesting! That's the construction of the new 3000-series and 4000-series truck campers, travel trailers, and motorhomes.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:39 PM   #50

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
OK gang -- let me try again....

I've read ALL these responses and (color me Napoleon's Dumbest Corporal) but Istill can't figure out how many people (roughly between 5'2 and 5'7") can a new Bigfoot 17.5 sleep?

Is the gaucho bed really only a single bed? Does that larger dinette on the one floor plan convert into a double bed size? Are there any beds in the 17.5 capable of holding two people (like, simultaneously)? Someone in the responses talked about the bunk over the gaucho -- my reaction was what bunk (there's nothing in the literature)?

Normally my rocket scientist question about travel trailers was usually focused on answering, "What is the tow capacity of a ________ ?" or "Are Good Year Marathon tires safe?" I didn't know I'd open debate about how many people can sleep in a Bigfoot 17.5.

So -- I'm 5'5", my wife is 5'5", I have a 5'1" thirteen year old grand daughter, and a 4'6" 8 year old grand daughter. Can we all sleep in a Bigfoot 17.5, in a bed, at the same time? (Well, not all of us in the same bed at the same time -- you know what I meant)

Thanks. I await the super computer's results.

Ed
Old 06-27-2007, 05:19 PM   #51

Arizona
Registry
Quote:

I've read ALL these responses and (color me Napoleon's Dumbest Corporal) but Istill can't figure out how many people (roughly between 5'2 and 5'7") can a new Bigfoot 17.5 sleep?

Is the gaucho bed really only a single bed? Does that larger dinette on the one floor plan convert into a double bed size? Are there any beds in the 17.5 capable of holding two people (like, simultaneously)? Someone in the responses talked about the bunk over the gaucho -- my reaction was what bunk (there's nothing in the literature)?
Hi Ed,

Although you mentioned that you and your wife are both 5' 5", which might mean that you would both be comfrtable enough sharing the gaucho, it also depends on how close together you like to sleep and how much width you need to sleep comfortably. I am 5'7' and my partner is 5'9" and the height is okay on the gaucho model, but it's a little too narrow, unless we are both sleeping flat on our backs (and I am a side sleeper). There must be a bunk option over the gaucho because a number of people have mentioned it, so that would sleep one child, and the dinette sleeper would definitely fit one child just fine. If you don't have access to seeing and testing the sleeping surface of one of these units at a dealership, as we did, you might just use a tape measure and measure out 77" long and 42" wide for the gaucho.
The narrowness of that sleeping surface is one of the reasons we are still considering other brands.

Good Luck!
Old 06-27-2007, 05:45 PM   #52

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:

Thanks. [b]I await the super computer's results.

Ed
This is HAL9000, Dave
I apologize for the indirect response to your query. I wanted to prepare you for the Alice-In-Wonderland quality of the parameters of the RV industry, which still measures human carbon units as they were 50 years ago. Our database indicate that adult human carbon units mean measurements are 5' 8" in height, 30" waist circumference, and 150 pounds mass, regardless of gender. Recreational Vehicles are temporary dwelling units, and are provided as convenience, not as comfort. Therefore, a single bed will have a 27" width, and any measurement larger than that will be construed as a "double".
Old 06-27-2007, 06:37 PM   #53

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
So HAL9000 is that a no to Ed's question, can four people sleep in a Bigfoot17?
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:07 PM   #54

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:

Thanks. I await the super computer's results.

Ed
Ok, Ed. We need a little clarification here. What, exactly, do you mean by "sleep"?

I'm sure that answering that question will get you the desired response...

The answer to your question is: "maybe". IF you're very close friends and used to sleeping in close quarters (like on a 48" wide bed), then... yes... a Bigfoot 17 or 17.5 will sleep four. If each of you need "your side" (30") of a queen to sleep in, then no... they will only sleep two.

Hope that helps.

Roger

Oh... and the bunk... it's really just a folding storage cabinet face and bottom that sort of fold into something resembling a bunk. I don't know if Bigfoot has ever load tested them, but the single example I've seen in a 19' tandem G model trailer was pretty flimsy.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:13 PM   #55

Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
Hello Hal and Val and Ed.

My wife and I have owned 3 Bigfoot fiberglass shell trailers. Our first was a 17.5' Gaucho. It had a dinnette bed that could sleep 2 adults who loved each other and wanted to sleep in each others arms, a gaucho that was a bit narrower than the dinette bed and we really only slept one adult. The cupboard over the gaucho could drop down to a horizontal position and sleep one small child.

In this trailer my wife slept on the dinnette bed and I slept on the gaucho bed so every morning we had to make up the beds to have breakfast. We decided to get a 5th wheel.

We purchased a 1985 bigfoot 5er and loved it. Val your partner has no idea how well a Bigfoot trailer is made. If it is kept up it will be in good shape. If it hasn't been kept up, the interior is probaslly just worn and can easily be brought back to a like new condition. The exterior is fiberglass and that is why we love these trailers, they usually don't leak and hold their value. Not like a stick built that has a leak everyplace a rivit has popped out.

We only traded up to the 1994 5er because we got a terific price and could sell the 85' for more than we paid for it. In the 5ers, the upper bed is a Queen size and the dinnette is a double. It would satisfy Ed's requirements. I don't think a 17.5 foot trailer that is a CB or a G would. Our upper bed area has been converted into two twins and we love it.

IMHO...If I had two young adults traveling with me, I'd buy them each a small tent and let them sleep outside the trailer. They would love the ability to have their own space and they wouldn't be too far away. Just leave the door open and the night light on so they can access the bathroom after lights out.

Ed, the newer trailers might have a larger sleeping bed but I don't know for sure, Ron would if he is still following this thread.

Paul
Old 06-27-2007, 08:25 PM   #56

Trailer: 2004 Casita 17 ft
I don't know about measurements, but my wife of 5'6" and I(5'11") were not comfortable sleeping in a Bigfoot 17. Not only is space limited but the cushions leave a little to be desired . In addition they slide around on the table unless secured some way.. We are comfortable sleeping together in the v birth of a Catalina 27 sailboat, something many people don't find agreeable. That is one of the major reasons we moved to a 21' and now a Bigfoot fifth wheel.
I do now peole with the 17 who travel extensively and find the bed arrangement ok. So it might be a personal decision,or it is probably related to age.We are in our 60's.
Dick Smith

Tags
bigfoot