New Casita - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #15

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Cool Carpeting, etc

We removed the carpet in our Trillium because the fiberglass floor underneath was getting all scratched up. Placed floor tiles instead.

We don't have an awning and never really felt the need for one. We sit in the shade of the trailer on sunny days and do things inside on rainy ones, like play cribbage, watch dvds, etc.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:31 PM   #16

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
"Factory refrigerator fan": is this a fan inside the fridge, or outside of (somewhere behind) the fridge?

The latter type of fan seems to have more proponents who say the extra air movement helps the system cool better. To me, a fan inside the fridge doesn't seem like it would make much difference.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #17

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
"Factory refrigerator fan": is this a fan inside the fridge, or outside of (somewhere behind) the fridge?

The latter type of fan seems to have more proponents who say the extra air movement helps the system cool better. To me, a fan inside the fridge doesn't seem like it would make much difference.
Mike, I've used both kinds & each works very well for its purpose. The exterior fan passes air over the cooling coils, which aids in removing heat that the 'coolant' builds up. The little internal fans circulate the air inside the fridge thus avoiding 'pooling' of cold air in lower areas or where several items are otherwise blocking circulation. When I didn't have the interior fan I've had eggs/lettuce and such actually freeze on bottom of my fridge while milk on the upper shelf next to the tiny freezer was just barely cold enough to keep from spoiling. The little fan keeps air circulating enough that a pretty even temp is maintained throughout the fridge. My little 'FridgeMate' battery operated finally 'gave up the ghost' so I guess I'll hafta look for a new one.

I have considerable experience with 2 older Dometic 3-way fridges, a 211 in my '85 Scamp & an RM2200A in my '87 Skamper pop-up truck camper. Except for the model #'s they appear identical inside & the 'operating mechanism' from the rear. I always use either 110vAC or propane to 'cool' the fridge before departing on a trip, & the 12vDC while underway. The P/U camper is hauled on a Ford F-250 Diesel P/U that has 2 batteries & a huge capacity alternator so I've never had any problem with 12v operation. I've not used the Scamp yet for any extended trip but my Toyota Tacoma TV is wired so that it charges the trailer battery while underway, & on short trips to the lake or deer camp I've not noticed any undue loss of battery power...
Old 06-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #18

Name: Bob
Trailer: 2012 Casita LD17
California
Well, I did it. I sent my deposit and I'll be picking up my Casita on the 19th of July.

I'm not looking forward to a trip from California to Texas and back in July but I'll sure know if the A/C and refrigerator work by the time I get home again.

Thanks to everybody for all the good advice.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:24 AM   #19

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearcut View Post
Well, I did it. I sent my deposit and I'll be picking up my Casita on the 19th of July.

I'm not looking forward to a trip from California to Texas and back in July but I'll sure know if the A/C and refrigerator work by the time I get home again.

Congrats!!!!! Oh yeah you will certainly be using the A/C . Enjoy the journey!
Old 06-23-2012, 12:39 AM   #20
Commercial Member

Name: Deb & Chuck
Trailer: Bigfoot, Boler, Trillium, ECO, U-Haul, Burro, Escape, Trailswest, Compact Jr., Casita, Scamp
Washington
New trailer

Quote:
I'm getting ready to order a new Casita 17 footer and I have a couple of questions. I've pretty much decided on all the important stuff but there's a couple of things I'm curious about.

I looked at an almost identical model to what I want to buy on Casita's referral plan today and I was impressed. The owners have had it five years, been all over the country in it and really liked it.

My only previous experience with small trailers was an 18 foot stick trailer and that was over twenty years ago. It leaked. Everywhere. I didn't have much time to worry about the leaks though. I was too busy trying to make all the appliances work...which they never did.

Captain's chairs or not? The captains's chairs look comfortable but do you give up a lot of storage space to get them? I'll be solo most of the time and I'll be boondocking a lot at work too, sometimes for a week or more at a time.

Refrigerator fan? What exactly does it do and is it a worthwhile option?

Is the tile flooring worth the cost? Where I'll usually be boondocking is mostly dirt and rocks and mud in the winter and I wondered if the carpet would be a dirt magnet.

Awning? It's spendy but if it's worth it I'll add it to the list. If it gets rained on will it mold if it's retracted when wet? Does it shed water in the rain? Will moderately high winds bother it?

Any other tips or tricks or just general advice? I'll take all of that I can get.

I'll be ordering next Monday and any help you can give me will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Bob
Have you looked at a Escape 17ft?
Chuck
Old 06-23-2012, 08:17 AM   #21

Name: Bob
Trailer: 2012 Casita LD17
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Chuck View Post
Have you looked at a Escape 17ft?
Chuck
Yes I have. It looked like a fine trailer but I prefer the Casita.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #22
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Stop at Little House?

Quote:

You might check out Little House Customs beforehand and see what all Larry carries. Many of his upgrades and kits address issues/shortcomings common to Casita owners over the years. He's not far from Rice, Texas. Little House Customs

Charlie

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita