New Compact Jr. Owner - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-04-2009, 05:31 PM   #15

Name: Joe
Trailer: Hunter Industries
California
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
My Compact II has the same mechanism set up as Mike's. It has a couple of springs that I would imagine are meant to help you lift it up, but they don't seem to do much for me. I just get in the middle of it and slowly stand up, lifting it as I go. Once the locking arms are screwed down with the wingnuts, I've never had any problems with it. If it's a windy day it moves some, but no more so than any tent I've ever had...

Joe

Old 08-04-2009, 06:58 PM   #16

Name: Heath
Trailer: Compact Jr
Ohio
Richard to the family. I see that you were not to sure on the year of the trailer but if there is no quilting on the walls and no sine it was removed I can tell you it is 1971 or 1972. they added the fabric to the 73 model year. Also just in case it is not listed somewhere the hitch is a 2 inch ball. might sound like something little but could save allot of headaches. and with pulling it that far for the first time I have some hints I learned the hard way. Be sure to try to tow it as level as possible. this was my first mistake, nose up is no good. also, if you notice that it is moving around allot behind you from side to side try putting some stuff in the nose of the camper. the compact JR is very light and especially up there if there is no propane in the tank. hope the trip goes well for you and you get it home safe.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #17

Name: Rick & Rei
Trailer: 1970 Campster
Kansas
Quote:
Richard to the family. I see that you were not to sure on the year of the trailer but if there is no quilting on the walls and no sine it was removed I can tell you it is 1971 or 1972. they added the fabric to the 73 model year. Also just in case it is not listed somewhere the hitch is a 2 inch ball. might sound like something little but could save allot of headaches. and with pulling it that far for the first time I have some hints I learned the hard way. Be sure to try to tow it as level as possible. this was my first mistake, nose up is no good. also, if you notice that it is moving around allot behind you from side to side try putting some stuff in the nose of the camper. the compact JR is very light and especially up there if there is no propane in the tank. hope the trip goes well for you and you get it home safe.
No quilting-just raw fiberglass that has been painted white-would like to paint it a beige-may do that before our next trip.
Haven`t had any swaying-tows really smooth.
We keep most heavy stuff in our e-150 van. It has a big motor so figure it is better to load it instead of keeping heavy items in the Compact.
Went from a Casita, 13 ft. to our Compact. Really liked the Casita but the bed was too small and we had no where to store it. City laws won`t let us keep it in the driveway or back yard.
We researched and found that a Compact Jr. would fit in our garage and the bed is bigger-something that makes for a better trip when hubby gets a good nights sleep.
Some people thought we were crazy for traveling so far for the camper-but we didn`t mind-it was worth it.
We are going to put in some new wiring and electric outlets, mounting for our little tv, and some shelf changes.
Trying to figure out how to post pictures-hubby is more talented in this area so need to wait until he has time.
Happy camping-Richard and Allie
Old 08-07-2009, 04:26 PM   #18

Name: Heath
Trailer: Compact Jr
Ohio
Glad to see all wen't well for the pickup, I did not know you had an FGRV b-4 the compact jr. You are probably old pro's at the towing thing. If I had known that I would not have given all the tips but never hurts. Maybe someone else will be reading this and get some good info from it. It was interesting to hear that you like the compact bed size better. I have been wonderiong about that myself. My wife and I have a king in the house and not mutch of a difference in the camper. look forward to seeing the pics.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:21 AM   #19

Name: Joe
Trailer: Hunter Industries
California
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
I am curious to see how the bed size differs between the Jr's and II's like mine. My Compact II basically has a sideways fullsize bed (head and feet to the sides of the trailer), not the kingsize bed I've heard talked about with the Jr's. Maybe I'll get to see a Jr or two at the Lake Casitas Rally?
I know I'm open to hosting 'tours' of my rig to anybody who wants to check it out, just no housekeeping judging please...hehe

Joe
Old 08-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #20

Name: Dana
Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
California
Quote:
... Maybe I'll get to see a Jr or two at the Lake Casitas Rally?
We plan on being there with our Compact Jr.

We are also interested in seeing different floorplans "for real" -- seeing things in little drawings and photos is not the same as experiencing them!
Old 08-09-2009, 02:22 PM   #21

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I believe the Jr. has a slightly larger bench area and smaller kitchen area than the II. This results in the Jr. have a larger bed but less floor space to stand when the bed is made. The bed in our Jr. measures 72" long x 70" wide.

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm41/to...sonphotos20.jpg

Tom Trostel
Old 08-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #22

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
But isn't the "II" wider so that the bed and the kitchen are both large? It looks like the "II" has some squareish molded areas to make more width at the top-of-bed line. So I'm thinking that made it so that one could, officially, sleep cross-wise and so have a large bed and a larger kitchen
Old 08-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #23

Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Washington
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
But isn't the "II" wider so that the bed and the kitchen are both large? It looks like the "II" has some squareish molded areas to make more width at the top-of-bed line. So I'm thinking that made it so that one could, officially, sleep cross-wise and so have a large bed and a larger kitchen
YUP---- if one cuts the support pieces for the bed with forethought, there are many combinations posssible.... Ours can be made into two bunks 24" wide, a single front 24" bunk, a single front 36" bunk, a 48" wide bed sleeping crosswise, or a approx 72" square bed. Larry