New Compact Jr. Owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2009, 04:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
Would like a copy of a Compact Jr. owners manual-can`t find info anywhere-can anyone help.
Also any info on a Compact Jr. will be appreciated.
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:38 PM   #2

Trailer: Compact Jr
Registry
Quote:
Would like a copy of a Compact Jr. owners manual-can`t find info anywhere-can anyone help.
Welcome to this forum and welcome to the family of Compact Jr Owners. I don't know of any manuals that are left. The best info on Compact Jr's will be this forum. Just put Compact Jr in the search box. There are several owners that are or have done frame up restorations. Any questions ask and I'm sure someone has had the same concern and will walk you through it.
Rick
Rick Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
Hi Richard, the only "manual" I am aware of is the brochure posted in the document center. You will find the Document Center in the left-hand column under "Resources". There you will find manuals for the heaters, refrigerators, stoves, cooktops, and etc. used in many trailers, including the Compact Jr.

The link to the brochure is under Trailer Brand Manufacturer -- here is the link: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/files/Co...r-Brochure.pdf

I look forward to reading about your exploits and adventures!
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:20 PM   #4

Hi Richard, you have piqued my curiosity.

Would you please tell me what you got in the way of appliances? What is the overall condition of the trailer? What are you towing it with?

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2009, 06:28 PM   #5

Hi Richard,

One thing I find very useful, and you may also, is to click on the View New Posts link, which is near the top of each page on the same line as Logged in as. There you will see everything that has happened since you last logged on, including answers to your posts.

Cheers!
Old 07-27-2009, 08:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Welcome to a unigue group. A lot of us are learning as we go, and sharing our learnings. Some have original ice boxes, some have replaced those with cupboards or pantrys; some have installed dorm fridges, all electric others have gone three way refrigerators; some have combination cook top and oven, others just have the cooktop; some have furnaces. Some have beef up their frames, added trailer brakes, switched axles, many have resealed windows, and roof vents. Some have reinforced roofs to improve the crown of the roof and avoid sag. Some have insulation, quilted vinyl on open cell foam, seems to have occured with 1973 models; others of us exploring options with other forms of insuation. Lots of stories, lots of learnings. welcome.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:13 PM   #7

We have not picked up the camper yet-will pick it up Thursday-almost 7 hours from our home-worth the drive if it is what the pictures look like-we have already bought it- so we have a camper.
We are going to Branson, Mo with the camper (family get together) after picking it up so will see how it handles.
Don`t know what it needs until we see it, bought it sight unseen-have never bought anything that way before-but really wanted a Compact Jr. because it will fit in our garage.
Excited to see what we bought-will let you know.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Hi Richard, you have piqued my curiosity.

Would you please tell me what you got in the way of appliances? What is the overall condition of the trailer? What are you towing it with?

The trailer has stove (olive green), sink, heater, no a/c. The owner said he thought they worked but haven`t been tested.
The refrigerator is gone but we have a new one we hope will fit.
Didn`t see any quilted fabric one the walls.
The canvas around the top is useable but not in excellent shape.
Looks like it is in good shape but we only had pictures to look at.
Will be back Monday so we let you know more then.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:21 AM   #9

Be sure to test all fittings for leaks before leaving the propane tank on for more than a few minutes.

The combination of age and vibration can and does lead to cracks in the tubing and hoses, and the valves (like on the stove) get dry and can leak too. Use soapy water to test for leaks, and don't be in too much of a hurry -- watch each fitting for the better part of a minute to see if a bubble is being blown slowly.

Propane has the nasty property of being heavier than air, so it tends to puddle in low spots then go off in a blast when exposed to a spark or open flame.

So test every part of the propane system carefully, or just leave the propane turned off until you can get the system properly checked.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Be sure to test all fittings for leaks before leaving the propane tank on for more than a few minutes.

The combination of age and vibration can and does lead to cracks in the tubing and hoses, and the valves (like on the stove) get dry and can leak too. Use soapy water to test for leaks, and don't be in too much of a hurry -- watch each fitting for the better part of a minute to see if a bubble is being blown slowly.

Propane has the nasty property of being heavier than air, so it tends to puddle in low spots then go off in a blast when exposed to a spark or open flame.

So test every part of the propane system carefully, or just leave the propane turned off until you can get the system properly checked.
Thank you for this important info-I seldom use propane -but will make sure it is safe.
Will let you know what we find after we get home.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:07 PM   #11

Trailer: Hunter Compact II
Quote:
I have a brochure that came with the [b]Hunter Compact II that I could scan for you. It is not a owners manual but more like a sales brochure highlighting the unit.

However, I recently acquired this travel trailer from my father in law but the pop up mechanism has a lot to be desired as it seems to be nothing more then a slider with a bracket attached at each corner.
II
II
==II=======

Can anyone provide any ideas or a better "mousetrap" to make the popup a lot more stable? if anyone has a picture of the original, it would be helpful just in case this one has been modified. The whole cap just sort of rocks on the hinge.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks
JKL
John Leger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:01 PM   #12

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
John,
I don't know of anyone replacing the roof mechanism with anything else. On the Jr. there are 4 pins that go through the sliding part of the brackets and into a hole in the fixed part. Seems quite secure.

About an owner's manual for any Hunter trailer, I've never seen one or heard of anybody having one.

Tom Trostel
Old 08-01-2009, 08:06 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Can anyone provide any ideas or a better "mousetrap" to make the popup a lot more stable? if anyone has a picture of the original, it would be helpful just in case this one has been modified. The whole cap just sort of rocks on the hinge.
Thanks
JKL
Ask and you will receive

Click image for larger version

Name:	INSIDE_MODS_TO_TRAILER_SMALL_007.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	22299

Click image for larger version

Name:	roof_after_fix_from_door_small.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	22298

I don't know if this is what you wanted, I hope it helps. As Tom said we don't have any problems with our roof
Rick Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #14

Trailer: Hunter Compact II
Quote:
However, I recently acquired this travel trailer from my father in law but the pop up mechanism has a lot to be desired as it seems to be nothing more then a slider with a bracket attached at each corner.
II
II
==II=======

Thanks
JKL
I have a 1973 Compact II and my pop-up hardware is different than those pictures. Mine has a locking lever on each side that is secured onto a wingnut when up.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010336.JPG  
Mike Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:31 PM   #15

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
My Compact II has the same mechanism set up as Mike's. It has a couple of springs that I would imagine are meant to help you lift it up, but they don't seem to do much for me. I just get in the middle of it and slowly stand up, lifting it as I go. Once the locking arms are screwed down with the wingnuts, I've never had any problems with it. If it's a windy day it moves some, but no more so than any tent I've ever had...

Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #16

Richard to the family. I see that you were not to sure on the year of the trailer but if there is no quilting on the walls and no sine it was removed I can tell you it is 1971 or 1972. they added the fabric to the 73 model year. Also just in case it is not listed somewhere the hitch is a 2 inch ball. might sound like something little but could save allot of headaches. and with pulling it that far for the first time I have some hints I learned the hard way. Be sure to try to tow it as level as possible. this was my first mistake, nose up is no good. also, if you notice that it is moving around allot behind you from side to side try putting some stuff in the nose of the camper. the compact JR is very light and especially up there if there is no propane in the tank. hope the trip goes well for you and you get it home safe.
Heath G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Richard to the family. I see that you were not to sure on the year of the trailer but if there is no quilting on the walls and no sine it was removed I can tell you it is 1971 or 1972. they added the fabric to the 73 model year. Also just in case it is not listed somewhere the hitch is a 2 inch ball. might sound like something little but could save allot of headaches. and with pulling it that far for the first time I have some hints I learned the hard way. Be sure to try to tow it as level as possible. this was my first mistake, nose up is no good. also, if you notice that it is moving around allot behind you from side to side try putting some stuff in the nose of the camper. the compact JR is very light and especially up there if there is no propane in the tank. hope the trip goes well for you and you get it home safe.
No quilting-just raw fiberglass that has been painted white-would like to paint it a beige-may do that before our next trip.
Haven`t had any swaying-tows really smooth.
We keep most heavy stuff in our e-150 van. It has a big motor so figure it is better to load it instead of keeping heavy items in the Compact.
Went from a Casita, 13 ft. to our Compact. Really liked the Casita but the bed was too small and we had no where to store it. City laws won`t let us keep it in the driveway or back yard.
We researched and found that a Compact Jr. would fit in our garage and the bed is bigger-something that makes for a better trip when hubby gets a good nights sleep.
Some people thought we were crazy for traveling so far for the camper-but we didn`t mind-it was worth it.
We are going to put in some new wiring and electric outlets, mounting for our little tv, and some shelf changes.
Trying to figure out how to post pictures-hubby is more talented in this area so need to wait until he has time.
Happy camping-Richard and Allie
Old 08-07-2009, 03:26 PM   #18

Glad to see all wen't well for the pickup, I did not know you had an FGRV b-4 the compact jr. You are probably old pro's at the towing thing. If I had known that I would not have given all the tips but never hurts. Maybe someone else will be reading this and get some good info from it. It was interesting to hear that you like the compact bed size better. I have been wonderiong about that myself. My wife and I have a king in the house and not mutch of a difference in the camper. look forward to seeing the pics.
Heath G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:21 AM   #19

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
I am curious to see how the bed size differs between the Jr's and II's like mine. My Compact II basically has a sideways fullsize bed (head and feet to the sides of the trailer), not the kingsize bed I've heard talked about with the Jr's. Maybe I'll get to see a Jr or two at the Lake Casitas Rally?
I know I'm open to hosting 'tours' of my rig to anybody who wants to check it out, just no housekeeping judging please...hehe

Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:42 AM   #20

Quote:
... Maybe I'll get to see a Jr or two at the Lake Casitas Rally?
We plan on being there with our Compact Jr.

We are also interested in seeing different floorplans "for real" -- seeing things in little drawings and photos is not the same as experiencing them!