New laminate floor over thin gray carpet? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2017, 12:05 PM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: In the Market
Arkansas
New laminate floor over thin gray carpet?

Hi, I have an 85 Casita with what appears to be original carpet-thin gray indoor/outdoor looking carpet that is still in good shape. I'd like to cover it with an interlocking laminate floor and wonder if anyone has done this. I don't want to rip out the carpet that is in good shape but am trying to have a floor more appropriate for boondocking or dry camping. I guess my concern is that there might be enough give in the carpet to cause the strips of laminate to uncouple. Thoughts?
Tim in AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:21 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have installed the laminate in 3 campers and would not recommend it over carpet. It needs to be on a solid surface and with either molding or matching caulk along the opposite side, the floor can expand and contract with the temperature change.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:21 AM   #3

Name: Jan
Trailer: '02 Bigfoot 17'
Washington
Registry
Instead of a laminate floor, how about some of these interlocking tiles. They're kinda' soft but firm. Easy clean-up and adds a little warmth to the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
24.jpg  
40bpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:52 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in AR View Post
Hi, I have an 85 Casita with what appears to be original carpet-thin gray indoor/outdoor looking carpet that is still in good shape. I'd like to cover it with an interlocking laminate floor and wonder if anyone has done this. I don't want to rip out the carpet that is in good shape but am trying to have a floor more appropriate for boondocking or dry camping. I guess my concern is that there might be enough give in the carpet to cause the strips of laminate to uncouple. Thoughts?
Wouldn't recommend it Tim. The film used under lam floors is very thin and more for lam movement. The give in the carpet may well be enough to break the lam seams. I boondock 99% of the time and don't see a problem with the Casitas carpet. Using an outside mat has worked well for me for many years. A dustpan and brush takes care of it and the shop vac finishes it off when we get home. OK, there's one thought for you .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:41 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The PO of our '96 Casita put laminate floor over the original carpet and it's been OK. Been there about 3 years now. Trim job is not all that great but we haven't felt the need to replace it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:11 AM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I would strip out the carpet, prepare a smooth sub-floor, and install Allure.
TrafficMASTER Allure 6 in. x 36 in. Barnwood Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring (24 sq. ft. / case)-261222 - The Home Depot
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:32 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita Independence "Callimachusita"
Ocean City, NJ
Lots of people cover the carpet with Allure from Home Depot. Search Casita Forum. I did. It overlaps by about an inch for water proofing.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0542.jpg   IMG_0635.JPG  

Pod Puppies: Josie and Frankie, Casita Kittens: Madison & Razzel & Mrs. Chow
librarianocnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:48 AM   #8

Arkansas
Some great ideas-thanks to everybody.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:59 AM   #9

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I would not overlay old carpet in a little travel trailer. There is a reason for my opinion on that. Any residual dirt in the old carpet fibers is a breeding ground to feed mold spores and mold does happen in tiny fiberglass travel trailers. It would be better to begin with a clean subfloor base, brand new mold resistant foam padding made for the purpose and then your new flooring. Plus remember that the old carpet fibers will wick up and retain moisture for a considerable length of time if there is a spill that allows water to drain through the cracks. The foam padding flooring won't absorb moisture.

What people do in a fiberglass trailer should NOT be based on what you see people doing in their houses. They don't have kitchen sinks and one piece bathroom showers in their living rooms where they are installing laminate flooring over their carpet. Their living rooms are not typically subjected to the types of moisture condensation issues found in a fiberglass trailer. I don't think you want to create a mold trap that could create ongoing smells that can't easily be remediated without pulling up the plank flooring.

IF---Then (what happens next) thinking is always required when redoing the interiors of the FGRVs
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:16 AM   #10

Trailer: Casita Independence "Callimachusita"
Ocean City, NJ
Couple of thoughts.
People have been using Allure since 2010. I've yet to see any posts complain about mold.
And if you do have a spill, just pull up the Allure dry carpet, and replace Allure for $40.
Pod Puppies: Josie and Frankie, Casita Kittens: Madison & Razzel & Mrs. Chow
librarianocnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:20 AM   #11

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
We installed Allure flooring in our Scamp, but we removed the old carpet first and made sure there was a solid smooth floor to place it upon. The quote below is from the Allure installation instructions, we complied with the carpet part, but obviously ignored the part about camping trailers.
"You can not install Allure in Solariums/Sunrooms, over Carpets, or any Exterior Application including seasonal porches, camping trailers and boats."
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:30 AM   #12

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarianocnj View Post
Couple of thoughts.
People have been using Allure since 2010. I've yet to see any posts complain about mold.
And if you do have a spill, just pull up the Allure and replace it for $40.
It is not the Allure itself that will have a mold issue, it the old carpet under it that will have dirt still in it. Dirt (other than pure silica sand) contains food for mold spores
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:37 AM   #13

Name: Matt
Trailer: Casita
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in AR View Post
We were faced with a similar challenge, and had a soft spot close to the back of our casita too. We thought laminate might unclick.

We went with engineered hardwood on top of the old carpet No issues at all.

A tiny bit thicker and we needed to get fancy with 1/4 round trim, but it worked great and we're very happy with the results.
TheRedDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:36 PM   #14

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarianocnj View Post
Lots of people cover the carpet with Allure from Home Depot. Search Casita Forum. I did. It overlaps by about an inch for water proofing.
I used that vinyl with overlapping glue strips on my kitchen and I will never use it again! It is hard to get it lined up when laying on, AND IF IT ISN'T PERFECT, YOU GET A GAP. I recommend building up a solid flat base with Advantech AdvanTech Flooring, AdvanTech Subflooring, AdvanTech Floor | Huber Engineered Woods copletely waterproof subfloor. Shim up under it first to make sure it is supported everywhere, and maybe chisel or rout it where it sits on high spots or screws. Then get interlocking vinyl, as thick as you can afford. (I live in florida. Resistance to spills and humidity in general is important.)
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:23 PM   #15

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
We have a 2010 Casita 17 LD. PO put laminate over carpet and all is well. Slightly soft spot in one small area but not a problem. Much easier to keep clean.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:16 PM   #16

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Another thing to consider is simply to find some gorgeous little machine-washable throw rugs and place them strategically...definitely entry, then next to each bed, by the galley, etc. They can be lifted whole and shaken out easily each day--or a dozen times a day if you like...and the under-carpet can be vacuumed thoroughly at home.
(You also need a good hose-washable entry mat for outside_

OR you could do like our son did and get a Dustbuster and keep it set up in a closet and vacuum as needed right on the spot. Do you heavy vacuuming at home (again). I agree entirely that you can sweep a carpet...

YMMV, so many ideas!

BEST
Kai
Old 07-16-2017, 06:12 PM   #17

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
all sounds familiar....

rubber mat outside (with big holes in it so rocks/grit stays out)

full length "runner" (from entry door to bathroom door)
with my lay-out it's nice to have carpet to stand on coming out of the shower

and a short piece of same at the door to shake out (WIPE YOUR FEET!)

just like you said, at home it all gets a good vacuum on my deck....and I have a 12V vac in the coach too
Attached Thumbnails
entry.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:07 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
We removed the carpet, sanded the floor clean and then put down a few coats of Kilz as a primer. We got 4ft vinyl stick-on strips from Lowes and they worked fine. Used 1/2 in quarter round as a boarder and looks great.

Use a mallet to stick the strips down, but don't whale on it too hard and knock out soft spots in the floor like I did!
Tim Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:33 PM   #19

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Cool

Hey, Tim! Meet Tim, OP. It can be done. Take the plunge, bite the bullet, pull out that carpet and do a great EZ maintenance fix! Kilz is a great choice for underlayment!

I am assuming there are TWO Tims here, one the OP and the other, well, another who already solved the issue?

BEST
Kai
Old 07-27-2017, 07:00 PM   #20

Arkansas
Thanks again for all the ideas. We are planning to do a lot of camping this fall and I will probably wait until mid winter to do my floor work... I love places like Utah and am already anticipating that famous orange Moab dust that seems to stain everything it gets on.