New LED Light - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-23-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 1970 Campster
Posts: 253
I've been considering buying two LED reading lamps for my trailer and the company emailed me stating that the lamps I inquired about are on backorder. The salesperson offered me an option to buy the same lamp housing with a new LED light in it but I don't know whether or not this new light is a superior or inferior product.

Here's the link for the original lamp: http://www.sailorsams.com/mall/tube-9006-l...ading-light.asp
and here's what the salesperson had to say about the new LED light:

"The New LED G4 BULB:
Powerful LED G4 bulb with 10 LEDs provides warm white light (120 lumens). Solid state reliability. High intensity, well heat sink, 120 degree view angle, meant time 40,000 hours, voltage from 120VAC/DC or 8-30volts. No UV, superior ESD protection. Wave Length 3300-3600k. Fits most of our Reading and Wall light fixtures."

If anyone can interpret all this for me I'd really appreciate it as I hate throwing money away!
Thanks in advance!

__________________

__________________
Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:44 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Posts: 1,828
Sounds like it would work great.
I use a 9 LED light in our Jacque Pennay reading lights and they are excellent for reading.
__________________

__________________
Owner:
Fiberglass-RV-4Sale.com
Scamp Owners International
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:32 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
peterh's Avatar
 
Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Posts: 1,519
Registry
O.K., let me break it down for you:

> . . . provides warm white light . . . Wave Length 3300-3600k . . .

The average color of light produced by a light source is measured in the "Kelvin" temperature scale. Lights with lower "Kelvin" numbers have a distinctly yellowish cast to them; lights with higher numbers cast a light that has a blueish hue. A the yellow light produced by a candle flame measures about 1900K, while the slightly blue light that comes from a "cool white" fluorescent tube measures around 4200K. Standard incandescent light bulbs give off 3000K light.

So what this blurb is telling you is these LEDs pump out light that's half-way between what you'd expect from a regular light bulb and a cool-white fluorescent fixture. It's a good general-purpose light color.

> . . . 120 lumens . . .

About the same amount of light as a 10-watt halogen reading light.

If you liked the description of the old LED lights, this sounds like an even (or even slightly better) swap.
__________________
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Joe Z's Avatar
 
Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
Posts: 1,043
Peter.....
that was a really great explanation as i never really understood all those numbers and don't like the bluish LED Lights.this definately cleasrs up the confusion and will save this post for future reference
thnx,
Joe
__________________
Joe and Linda
2013 Casita SD
Dodge Ram 4x4
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:58 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Pete Dumbleton's Avatar
 
Trailer: Scamp
Posts: 3,072
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Here's a link to a Wiki on CFL's and color temperatures -- Some manfs don't print the color temperatures on the box or bulb -- One hardware guy told me that lowering the temperature towards warm light means increased inside coating on the light and increased cost, so if the temperature is not available, it is likely on the high end.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp
__________________
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Roy in TO's Avatar
 
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
> . . . 120 lumens . . .

About the same amount of light as a 10-watt halogen reading light.
What wattage would that compare to a in a regular light bulb or the newer compact flourescents?
__________________
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
peterh's Avatar
 
Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Posts: 1,519
Registry
Quote:
What wattage would that compare to a in a regular light bulb or the newer compact flourescents?
A 40-watt household incandescent light bulb puts out about 1000 lumens of light, but a comparison is not easy to make. First, incandescent bulbs put out a wide range of light colors that average out to something in the 3000K range. LEDs concentrate their output in colors of light our eyes see well, so you get more punch per lumen. How much punch . . . you really have to judge for yourself.
__________________
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:49 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 1970 Campster
Posts: 253
Quote:
O.K., let me break it down for you:

> . . . provides warm white light . . . Wave Length 3300-3600k . . .

The average color of light produced by a light source is measured in the "Kelvin" temperature scale. Lights with lower "Kelvin" numbers have a distinctly yellowish cast to them; lights with higher numbers cast a light that has a blueish hue. A the yellow light produced by a candle flame measures about 1900K, while the slightly blue light that comes from a "cool white" fluorescent tube measures around 4200K. Standard incandescent light bulbs give off 3000K light.

So what this blurb is telling you is these LEDs pump out light that's half-way between what you'd expect from a regular light bulb and a cool-white fluorescent fixture. It's a good general-purpose light color.

> . . . 120 lumens . . .

About the same amount of light as a 10-watt halogen reading light.

If you liked the description of the old LED lights, this sounds like an even (or even slightly better) swap.
Peter,
Thank you for your explanation and evaluation of the lights. I get it now! I guess I'll get the substitute lights that they are offering! Also, the flat panel LEDs you recommended arrived from VLEDs today and fit perfectly in the dome fixtures I recently purchased. Now all I need to do is learn how to do all the wiring for the entire electrical system. I'll get there eventually. Thanks for your helpful suggestions and analysis.
__________________

__________________
Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
led lights, lighting, lights, tail lights


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
light cover help curtis c Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 3 06-20-2009 02:09 PM
Has anyone seen this LED light? Roy in TO General Chat 6 11-16-2008 08:07 PM
Gas Light? danny m Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 9 05-29-2008 04:36 AM
Pilot light won't light (Casita) SW6P Legacy Posts Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 5 08-06-2003 10:12 PM
Let there be light General Chat 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.