New modifications - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-14-2009, 03:08 PM   #15

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
Erik, I don't think raising the bed will have any effect on the width of the trailer.

BIG LOTS is the Mecca for totes!
Gina,

I think I can see what Erik means about the width issue in a Boler/clone: The trailer does start to get narrower as you move up from where the bed is in the stock position, because of the "eggness." Picture moving a bed from Humpty's waist up towards his "shoulders." Off the top of my head, I'd say you'd lose at least 2" - 3" if you moved the bed up to the base of the side windows - maybe more.

Thanks for the Big Lots tip! I'm going to have to keep my eye out for one of those. I love totes

Raya

Old 01-14-2009, 05:04 PM   #16

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Ah, OK..

I have only slept in my Burros, and the walls are pretty much straight up until you start getting higher than the windows.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:25 PM   #17

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
[quote]We added a permanant rear bed and a front dinette last year. I made a pannel that fits on top of the seats. It's made in three sections connected with piano hinge so that it could be removed and return the trailer to original. We keep two large totes [his and hers] under it since access to the storage areas has been taken away. They are concealed by a valance normally. I added outside access hatches and one side carriees jacks, cords, tools etc. while the other side carries camp stove and other outside essentials. This was a simple modification that can easily be reversed.
If you carry your porta-pot there you will be continually lifting it in and out, sloshing whatever it contains. I personally don't think that I would like to sleep over it.

Attachment 17490

Do you have pics of this mod without the bed in place.

Thanks

D&T
Old 01-14-2009, 10:36 PM   #18

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
No, sorry! I didn't take pictures of the pannel. I just went to Home Depot, bought a sheet of 5/8" ply and cut it to the shape of the dinette area using a paper patern, cut from artboard from a dollar store. I then cut it into three pieces so that they would fold flat on each other for insertion and removal. The centre section being larger than the opening below. The sections are then connected back together with piano hinge. I also added three pieces of 1X4 maple across the opening to give support and a short piece of trim along the front edge to finish it off. When in place there is a strip of velcro about 6" back from the edge that holds a valance in place to cover the lower opening. I hope you can make sence of my rambling.
BTW i found that you should leave about a 3/8" gap all the way around the pannell to make it easier to remove later. I have to do that yet, right now it's too tight and lifting it pulls at the trailer side trim. I also added a webbed strap on each side so that I can pull it up easier.
We still use the original cushions for a matress with a 2" comfort foam topper and I sleep GREAT!
Old 01-15-2009, 01:48 AM   #19

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Talking

(answer to post #6 partially quoted)

"Okay, the width between the benches on my Boler is 29" The totes I happen to have are about 15-1/2" wide (but I could not find any that were this type of size but less than 14-1/2" wide). Mine look about like yours in overall proportion and size."

Have you tried placing one tote upright and the second upside down? Since they are tapered, this may just be enough. Of course you would have to put things that don't spill in the one you are going to turn upside down

Another: How about placing them sideways with one behind the other with a strap affixed to the one behind?

Like they say, "There is more than one way to skin a cat."

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:11 AM   #20

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Actually, I already one of these same sized totes running across the back of the space (so under the rear window and oriented that way). So if two were to fit side-by-side that would make three.

Interesting idea on the upside down arrangement. That's thinking outside the tote

What I like about using them as upright "drawers," is that I don't have to take them all the way out to access them, but can just slide them partway out - drawer style - and get into them. Of course I could glue the lid on the upside down one permanently and then cut out the the bottom! (now the top)

I have yet to try the friction fit but will do so. I think I'll also look into removing that table-leg-holder-bolt that's in the center of that space. Someone had already bent it over so that it wasn't really doing its job anyway.

Shoot, under the table/bed is one of the few places a "square" tote will really work well on a Boler/clone. What I want to know is when are they going to start making totes with one curved/tapered/rounded corner?

Raya
Old 01-15-2009, 04:07 AM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
What I did on my Scamp 13' was build a bunk across the back up at window level for super ventilation in warm weather. I removed the fold-down table which took a lot of weight out of that area and made a slide-in table to fit under the bunk. I installed a piece of linoleum where my feet would touch the rat fur to keep it clean. I used some shrimp bags that I found in Louisiana as well-ventilated 'drawers' under the bunk.

First go around was a tad too high for reading in bed, which I like to do, so I lowered it a couple of inches.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scamp_rear_detail01.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	17527
[attachment=21273:Scamp_re...detail02.
jpg]

Name:	Scamp_rear_table__Small_.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	17528
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp_rear_detail02.jpg  
Old 01-15-2009, 06:48 AM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Under Bed Bins

I've found these at a Joann's. Prices go up and down. I've paid as little as $15 ea. These work so well in my application I bought an extra pair on sale although the original set are still going strong after 4 or 5 years.

Name:	DSCN0437a.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	17530

Name:	DSCN0446a.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	17531

40-1/8 long by 12-3/16 wide by 10-3/8 tall. In my trailer, one is for food and other for extra clothing. Wheels on the back make them easy to slide which is why I strap them in place during travel.

I'm having problems finding them for sale anywhere anymore, although they're still in the Akro Mils catalog.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:09 PM   #23

Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2009 Escape ('Suite Escape")
California
Registry
Quote:
Under Bed Bins

I've found these at a Joann's. Prices go up and down. I've paid as little as $15 ea. These work so well in my application I bought an extra pair on sale although the original set are still going strong after 4 or 5 years.

Attachment 17530

Attachment 17531

40-1/8 long by 12-3/16 wide by 10-3/8 tall. In my trailer, one is for food and other for extra clothing. Wheels on the back make them easy to slide which is why I strap them in place during travel.

I'm having problems finding them for sale anywhere anymore, although they're still in the Akro Mils catalog.
That they are, but I was told they haven't been sold since 2006 and they are sold by the 1000's to obviously large business entities. Shucky darn! I wonder if anyone knows of similarly sized storage boxes, because according to the measurements, they would be perfect for under the large dinette/bed.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:31 PM   #24

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
might find some old stock up on ebay.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:14 PM   #25

Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2009 Escape ('Suite Escape")
California
Registry