New owner of a 1975 13 ft. Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2006, 11:06 AM   #1

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Hello from Vancouver Island,

I have been reading these forums for a week or two now and they have provided me with invaluable information during my recent purchase of 'Trev' the Trillium - so Thank you!

I have a couple of newbie questions, because of course after a once over at home it seems I missed a few things during the pre-purchase inspection! Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated:

The lower portion of the Trillium door looks like it doesn't fit properly. I purchased weather stripping and will try to tighten it up but for now it definitely isn't airtight. I'm wondering if the doors actually lose their shape because it sticks out past the rest of the fibreglass.

The lock mechanism on the door will only allow you to lock and unlock from the inside of the trailer when the outside key hole is in the vertical position. Strange?

I just realized the 1975 frames have been recalled. It doesn't appear that there has been any additional work on this one. Should I contact Trillium to see if they advise a repair shop on the island? Is it better to go to a steel fabricator or an RV place?

I haven't actually towed this unit yet. I have a 1 7/8" ball on the back of my Explorer that when attached to the trailer it isn't quite level. My question is how level do you have to be? Do the class II systems that are bolted to the frame of the vehicle provide more turning capacity - because I am considering one if it will be more level? There was 15 inches from the ground to the top of the previous owners ball on the car for a perfect ride.

Sanding, priming, painting the top of the fridge unit. Any suggestions? Is it okay to just sand with fine paper?

Thank you so much!

Jane
Victoria, BC Canada
1975 13 ft. Trillium
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 15 ft
Send a message via ICQ to Ken James
Hello Jane;

Welcome to the forum. We too have a Trillium and we too live in Victoria. Rather than peck away at this computer why don't you email me and we can exchange phone numbers. We've modified 3 of these trailers so we should be able to give you some advice.

Look forward to hearing from you.

nobid@shaw.ca

Ken & Di James
Ken James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:26 AM   #3

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Hello, Jane!
Welcome to the forum! You are so lucky to get this offer of help from Ken! Take a look at his albums, his trailers are gorgeous, he knows Trillium!

Post away, and the friendly folks will be glad to jump in.

Pictures always appreciated!

Good luck and welcome!

Gigi
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:30 AM   #4

Trailer: 1989 17 ft Bigfoot Deluxe / 2004 Ford Ranger
Hi Jane
We are in Ontario, and have just had a 73 Trillium's frame strengthened. after we, too, heard about the recall on these forums.We had a local fabricating shop do the work.They welded 4gussetts(1/8"plates), about 14" long, one on each side of each frame at the front where the f/g shell is bolted to the frame, just back of where the "A" frame starts to bend upward.
They did an excellant job, and total cost was about $160, incl. tax !!! They told us afterwards that our frame was sound , even before the work, but best not to take chances, right?!
Joe/Peterborough ON
Joseph Olajos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:00 PM   #5

Hello again~

Thank you Ken!

I chatted with Ken and he assured me all was possible and nothing too difficult.

Ken is going to provide the name of a fellow that will possibly help reinforce the frame and perhaps give me some quotes on upgrading to a class II hitch.

In the meantime I am cleaning the upholstery, cleaning the ensolite, adding curtains, replacing carpet with lino, replacing the faulty lock and investigating how to keep the wee 10 month old in the bottom bunk. I have talked to a few people with some fantastic ideas....the garden will suffer this summer!

I'll try to attach a few 'before' pics...

jane
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2006, 10:34 PM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 4500
My son gave me a bolt on receiver type hitch for my 94 Explorer. I think he picked it up on eBay. The ball sits about four inches lower than the stock hitch mount. Receivers are available with more or less drop and 1-7/8" balls are available. Whether you install it yourself or have it installed BE SURE THE BOLTS ARE TIGHT!.

Have Fun
Dan M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:43 PM   #7

Thanks for the info Dan...I'll definitely keep that in mind....

This weekend's project is to find some lino and lay it down. I have a trillium so it goes straight over the fiberglass... I pulled up the carpet and will strip the edges where there is residual glue with adhesive remover.

My question:

Any other preparation involved with laying lino ? Glue straight onto fiberglass and caulk the edges?

Thank you!
Jane

Tags
trillium