New propane tanks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2008, 01:14 AM   #1

Trailer: 1998 16 ft Scamp
Updating the tanks to the quick release type. Replaced tanks, lines and regulator. I painted everything after sanding and wire wheelin. The battery box even came out okay with a good scrubing. I'm not too sure about the bolt holding the chains so will replace all that over-winter.

Dave

Attached Thumbnails
199.JPG   201.JPG  

216.JPG   218.JPG  

dave, a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:36 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Looks very tidy!
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:19 AM   #3

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
just remember to turn them on SLOWLY.
it's a safety feature that locks up the valve in the event of sudden
pressure release.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:59 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Great job. I have a 84 Scamp 16 with the same dual tank set up just as pictured. But I have difficulty dealing with the battery stuck behind the tanks and also the battery box top rubs the body. Just the other day I saw a picture where the tanks were moved to the rear next to the trailer body. Then the battery box was mounted on top of the frame in front of the tanks making it easily accessible. I plan on looking at his reconfiguration the next time I get some spare time.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:37 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Remember that Quick Release tanks help thieves as well as yourself to remove tanks...

I had my 91S13 parked in a storage yard and thieves stole my battery (thankfully, the unhooked the wires without cutting them) and started to steal the tank (unhooked regulator) but apparently the inconvenient bolt-down setup I have was too much for them.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:52 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy

Be careful sanding or otherwise removing material from any kind of pressurized vessel.

These things can explode!

In fact, I wonder just what the pressure is inside a full Propane tank, and what their life is.

I have dealt with 3000psi tanks the size of a grapefruit for opening aircraft doors in an emergency, and after 100 cycles, they have to be tested. Interestingly, they blow up like balloons, but only a few thousanths of an inch. When they go beyond a certain point, it is a sign that the steel is fatiguing and they have to be replaced.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:06 AM   #7

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:
In fact, I wonder just what the pressure is inside a full Propane tank, and what their life is.
Here are a few temp/pressure points for propane:

-45F 0 PSIG (propane boils at -44F)
-20F 11PSIG
0F 24PSIG
60F 92PSIG
100F 172PSIG
130F 257PSIG

So if you are camping and the temperature gets below -44 you're out of luck.

The pressure inside the tank is the same for a particular temperature no matter how full the tank is.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:37 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
There's more to it than that -- There is a summer mix and a winter mix of LP and butane to compensate for ambient temperature -- It is very common for snowbirds to fill LP tanks in Florida (summer mix) and then drive to the Frozen North and find that although they have a lot of liquid in their LP tanks, they won't work....

I believe twenty-pound tanks have a legal life of 12 years -- It is possible to then take the tank to a certifying agency for inspection and re-certification for a few more years. I dunno the life of the larger built-in tanks found in van campers and motorhomes.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:18 PM   #9

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:
There's more to it than that -- There is a summer mix and a winter mix of LP and butane to compensate for ambient temperature -- It is very common for snowbirds to fill LP tanks in Florida (summer mix) and then drive to the Frozen North and find that although they have a lot of liquid in their LP tanks, they won't work....

I believe twenty-pound tanks have a legal life of 12 years -- It is possible to then take the tank to a certifying agency for inspection and re-certification for a few more years. I dunno the life of the larger built-in tanks found in van campers and motorhomes.
I agree that there is a lot more to the science of LP gas mixes, use and storage. My post was just a answer to Roger C H's query on the pressure inside a propane tank. It assumes pure propane, not a mixture of propane and butane.

BTW - I've asked about mixtures when I've had my tanks filled and the "technician" has never known what mixture was in the tank.

As to extending the legal life of a propane cylinder by test/recertification, its less expensive to buy a new one after the legal life expires rather than get the old cylinder tested. I've seen 20s for sale for $18.99 at places like Lowes at the end of the summer season. Of course I've also seen the same model for sale at Camping World for $54 to $60.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 1998 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
As to extending the legal life of a propane cylinder by test/recertification, its less expensive to buy a new one after the legal life expires rather than get the old cylinder tested. I've seen 20s for sale for $18.99 at places like Lowes at the end of the summer season. Of course I've also seen the same model for sale at Camping World for $54 to $60.

That's what I was thinking...My Scamp is new to me but 10 years old so....The tanks looked "aged" along with the lines and regulator...complete replacement was worth peace of mind...now I know what I have.

So what are folks doing on the issue of security for battery/tanks? One or two of the angle iron braces up front need replacement at some point due to battery acid erosion, so i could add/alter the iron for securing device...any thoughts?
dave, a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane