new questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2007, 10:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 73 Boler 13 ft
Now that we are rolling along with fixing up our 74 13 ft. Boler,we have more questions for the group. I can't believe that 2 months ago ago, I didn't know what ensolite was, or which surface was gelcoat. Kept reading this forum,and now she is painted inside, new lino laid, ( not adhesive tiles),and holes in fibreglass are filled-don't know why I thought that would be intimidating. Thanks for everything! So, the next steps:

Wondering about the security of the old type latches on doors. We have a big padlock on the door, with lots of old screw holes, and the padlock rubs the gelcoat when moving. Are you comfortable sleeping at night latches with lock built in? Maybe we would remove the padlock and fill all the holes...

There is a grill outside, about at the level of the top of the kitchen countertop. We don't have a exhaust fan. It is above and to the right of the grill to the fridge's propane. What is that for? ? the propane stovetop? Or is it a relic?

Under the countertop, we see one of those galvanized hexagonal fixtures, like for residential light fixtures in homes, I think. The open side is mounted upwards, so towards the countertop. Some bigger wires coming out of that one, wrapped in that braided webbing stuff, but hanging , unattached in space. Any idea what that is, or was?

Does anyone know of a Canadian source for the fiberglass covers for the front window? Thanks so much.
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:00 AM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Wondering about the security of the old type latches on doors. We have a big padlock on the door, with lots of old screw holes, and the padlock rubs the gelcoat when moving. Are you comfortable sleeping at night latches with lock built in? Maybe we would remove the padlock and fill all the holes...
Peggy; the inside privacy latch on our lock is actually a mini-deadbolt, entirely independent of the door lock. We feel very safe with it.

One comment on the key lock which may explain the padlock. In speaking with RV salesmen on my first trailer, all RV baggage door locks were of only 2 keys! He called them A and B. To be sure that our lock was different, we took it to a professional locksmith for re-keying, and then matched the re-keying to the baggage door.

Quote:
There is a grill outside, about at the level of the top of the kitchen countertop. We don't have a exhaust fan. It is above and to the right of the grill to the fridge's propane. What is that for? ? the propane stovetop? Or is it a relic?
The Bolers I had looked at had an exhaust fan above the stovetop. From memory, I would say the grill was something like 4" x 6".

Quote:
Under the countertop, we see one of those galvanized hexagonal fixtures, like for residential light fixtures in homes, I think. The open side is mounted upwards, so towards the countertop. Some bigger wires coming out of that one, wrapped in that braided webbing stuff, but hanging , unattached in space. Any idea what that is, or was?
Can't help you with this one.

Quote:
Does anyone know of a Canadian source for the fiberglass covers for the front window?
Do you have the rock guard frame? In my case, it is obvious a previous owner replaced the damaged rock guard with a piece of smoked plastic about 1/8" thick. It is simply pop riveted to the rock guard. If you do not have a rock guard frame, you may find one that would fit at an RV wrecker. There was one a number of years ago in the Leduc-Nisku area that I dealt with on a former trailer.

VIctor
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Now that we are rolling along with fixing up our 74 13 ft. Boler,we have more questions for the group. I can't believe that 2 months ago ago, I didn't know what ensolite was, or which surface was gelcoat. Kept reading this forum,and now she is painted inside, new lino laid, ( not adhesive tiles),and holes in fibreglass are filled-don't know why I thought that would be intimidating. Thanks for everything! So, the next steps:

Does anyone know of a Canadian source for the fiberglass covers for the front window? Thanks so much.
Security: I added a regular house type dead-bolt lock to ours. Others have done the same. Check the archives of this forum for pictures, etc.

Outside Grills: Likely something a previous owner added. You could blank it off on the inside, mount a fan in it or remove it and fiberglass the hole.

Galvanized Hex Fixture: Probably a junction box. Since I retired from an electrical field, I would rewire the whole trailer, as old as it is. I would do this more for reliability than safety. In your case, I wouldn't worry much if everything works. However if you decide to add a fan, radio, light or whatever, that box may be a great place to tap in to power.

Having an older trailer makes it much more reasonable to tailor things to the way you like. Good luck.

Loren
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:39 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
... you may find one that would fit at an RV wrecker. There was one a number of years ago in the Leduc-Nisku area that I dealt with on a former trailer.
They moved from Leduc to somewhere northeast of Edmonton, changed ownership, and don't have so much used stuff anymore, but may still be useful. If anyone is interested I will try to find their name again.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Quote:
They moved from Leduc to somewhere northeast of Edmonton, changed ownership, and don't have so much used stuff anymore, but may still be useful. If anyone is interested I will try to find their name again.
My last info was:

Murphy's RV
6104-45 st, Leduc, AB
Ph 780-986-9860

Couldn't tell you if they are still there or if this is the outfit that relocated. Several years back they had a lot of good finds for older models.
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:41 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
That's the business which moved; here's the new listing from the phone company:

Murphy's RV Parts & Service
Address : 21338 Twp 550, Josephberg, AB T8L 4B8
Telephone : 780-992-1830
Fax : 780-998-0436
Website : www.murphysrvparts.com (but the website content is outdated)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 1975 Boler
Peggy, is the padlock inside or outside? Originally we had an outside padlock but that came off ASAP. Who wants to be locked in their trailer when their stuff outside is being stolen.

The webwiring you are talking about is bluish in color? I think the box you are talking about is where the power comes in from the power cord and goes to the plug on the counter top and to the light fixture above the sink. Mine is like that as well, or I should say was.
David Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 73 Boler 13 ft
Our padlock is on the outside of the trailer, and yes, if it is left out there, someone could easily lock you in. And I never thought about fire exits, till I saw a reference to hit this week. Keep a hammer inside, I guess?
The trailer has been in the shop for the past few days,(missing working on it!) So, I dare say that electrical box will probably be gone when we get it back tomorrow. Can't wait to try it for the first time this weekend! Thanks
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote