New Tires - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2016, 11:53 AM   #1

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
New Tires

After much reading about the pros/cons of ST tires vs LT tires, 13" vs going with 14", 3 yr life vs 5 yr life of trailer tires, the debate about the quality of Carlisle Tires - Old design vs New design, I have taken the plunge and set up an appointment at Discount Tire to have 3 new Carlisle ST175 /80 R13 91N C1 BSW Radial Trail RH Trailer Tires mounted, balanced and installed this coming Friday. I also purchased their Tire certificates for "Repair, Refund, or Replacement" for 3 years - no matter the cause of failure. I usually don't buy add-on warranties, but with all the controversy and apparently high rate of failure for trailer tires, I thought I would spring for it until I have my own experience.

The tires actually on the trailer are only 4 years old, and appear in good shape, the spare appears to be much older, is an odd size, and shows extensive dry rot and cracking of the side walls. I would not be comfortable using the spare for even a short distance. Just thought, since I don't actually know the history of the tires, I would go ahead and replace them all before I take any extensive trips. The axle was new earlier this year, so I expect many miles of trouble free travel is in the cards.

Thanks to all the many folks who have commented and made their recommendations on the various threads. I know several have recommended Goodyear Maxis tires, but I have zero confidence in Goodyear tires after numerous very bad experiences with them.

Edit: I was thinking I had it wrong, the Goodyear tires were Marathon, not Maxis. Norm, or was it Ginny, confirmed my mistake. Same problem for me though, lots of bad experiences with Goodyear over my driving career, with a lot of wasted money. Just don't trust 'em.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:40 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Perhaps a bit off the usual centerline of this topic, we recently experienced our third "non-repairable" flat out of the last four on our vehicle's tires here.

I was somewhat curious when the fellow at Discount Tire quickly declared it unrepairable. The screw in this recent case was well inboard of the sidewall area, so I was banking on a repair, not a replacement.

I authorized the replacement as I trust them. And as they say in the tire ads, we've got a lot riding on our tires.

Because I was curious, I Googled up the following:

https://www.tireindustry.org/tire-ma...ce/tire-repair

After watching the video there, I thought about the belts' vulnerability to unravelling and deterioration, particularly due to rust over time. All in all, I decided that the rather narrow "repairable area" is a "perhaps conservative but reasonable" approach.

I then found myself questioning the history of the tires on my fairly-new-to-me 2010 vehicle. Starting fresh with all new ones would certainly resolve any questions in that area.

In any event, I think the image of those belts unravelling and rusting away will stay with me the next time I have to buy a tire or two after getting a flat.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:00 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Our tire reality...so far

We've towed for the last 9 years, probably in the upper group in terms of towing mileage each year. We use 13" Goodyear Marathons and have yet to have any tire failure on the trailer, small or large failure.

Are their better tires than Goodyear? Maybe! Generally I don't make changes in solutions that are working, at least not easily.

Our tow vehicle must act like a 'sweeper' for the trailer because we have had a few screw and nail punctures in the tow vehicle but non on the trailer.

We carry a plug kit. We have used it on every occasion when we had a tire failure on the tow vehicle except when we had a sidewall puncture. We have never had a plug or plugged tire fail.

As to our tow vehicle we seem to buy the same tires that come with the vehicle as replacements. This is probably not smart for some reason.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:57 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks for that link CG.... that's the first time I've seen it and it was interesting.

[QUOTE=Civilguy;594319]

Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:37 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
... I have taken the plunge and set up an appointment at Discount Tire ...
I went to Discount Tire last week to get metal valve stems put in the trailer's wheels so I could use stem-mounted pressure sensors (TST brand TPMS).

The much-better metal valve stems cost three dollars each. I think you will agree that is a no-brainer to buy them to go with your new tires.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:51 PM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Wow what a timely post, I came home this evening to find two of those very same tires laying in my driveway. I seriously needed new treads on the Scamp. The old ones were not that great a tire to start with and I had ran them under-inflated which hastened their demise. As we have a trip scheduled for the 4th of July weekend I needed to make a change and now.

Over the weekend I looked around and surfed Discount's website for what good quality tire was available in my area actually in stock. It was the Carlisle with two mounted out-the-door for $204 and change. Then searching for reviews on this tire I came across Tread Depot who had the Carlisle radial way (way I say) cheaper than Discount. Two of them laying in my driveway (delivered) were $101 and change. I have "a guy" who will mount and balance them but Tire Kingdom was the listed shop on the website. I called them and they said they would mount and balance them for $20 each.

So, $141 or so beats $204 for the same thing.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:33 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I know it's going to be coming my time. But I'm wondering if ANYONE has ever found a "comparison" somewhere on the web for trailer tires: Marathons, Carlisles, Kenda, Kumho and I know there's a dozen more.

In 2010, my Scamp came with DICOs. Never heard of them before or since.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:27 AM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Perhaps a bit off the usual centerline of this topic, we recently experienced our third "non-repairable" flat out of the last four on our vehicle's tires here.

I was somewhat curious when the fellow at Discount Tire quickly declared it unrepairable. The screw in this recent case was well inboard of the sidewall area, so I was banking on a repair, not a replacement.

I authorized the replacement as I trust them. And as they say in the tire ads, we've got a lot riding on our tires.

Because I was curious, I Googled up the following:

After watching the video there, I thought about the belts' vulnerability to unravelling and deterioration, particularly due to rust over time. All in all, I decided that the rather narrow "repairable area" is a "perhaps conservative but reasonable" approach.

I then found myself questioning the history of the tires on my fairly-new-to-me 2010 vehicle. Starting fresh with all new ones would certainly resolve any questions in that area.

In any event, I think the image of those belts unravelling and rusting away will stay with me the next time I have to buy a tire or two after getting a flat.
Ply construction is written on the sidewall...I wonder if anyone makes a trailer tire with aramid fiber instead of steel, they would tend to run cooler and be more environmentally friendly when recycled, and plastic doesn't rust!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:24 AM   #9

None
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post

The much-better metal valve stems cost three dollars each. I think you will agree that is a no-brainer to buy them to go with your new tires.
It will be done. Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:33 AM   #10

None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post

So, $141 or so beats $204 for the same thing.
Yeah, that is a better price, but I think there are a few advantages to going with Discount Tire. For instance, the vast network of stores if any problems develop - in and out with minimal hassle, free rotation if that is something I want to do, the availability of their "Tire Certificate", and they dispose of the old tires.

I've never been too concerned with saving a few dollars on major purchases if there is added convenience and peace of mind.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:14 PM   #11

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
I've never been too concerned with saving a few dollars on major purchases if there is added convenience and peace of mind.
I totally agree, each person should make up their own mind of what level of service/security they want to pay for. But I will say that a third off is more than a "few dollars". As to piece of mind, I have a good spare. And if the worst happens at an odd hour/day every WalMart, Tractor Supply, etc., etc. in the nation has mounted 5 lug 13" (and 14") trailer tire/wheel combos on the shelf ready to go.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:21 PM   #12

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Glad we purchased new ST radial trailer tires with puncture warranty when we got our trailer.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:11 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler 1700 1979
Ontario
Registry
I'm rebuilding a 78 Boler 17, the tires are old, date code puts them at 78 or 88 or 98. I'll be replacing them when the build is done. Seems like there are a lot of problems with ST tires, and my relatives with rv's have blown a few. I have a boat trailer, 5 ton boat, sits for 6 months, moves once and 6 months later it goes back on the trailer. When the boat is on the trailer I block the trailer so the weight is off the wheels and put an aluminum cover over the tires. I've bought 12 ST tires in 12 years, every year one tire seems to show a problem, belt broken mostly. I had one blow, bang, which means it didn't run flat and overheat. This doesn't seem to happen on our cars, vans or trucks?
Another question, is anyone carrying a space saver spare tire? Our cars are a 2000 and 2001, both have space saver spares, never used, one in the trunk, the other under, both hold air, no sign of cracking. Both would get me to the next exit. So why carry a big, full size heavy spare tire, and replace it because of age along with the other two? A space saver spare would work for temporary use on a trailer just as well as on a car or van.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:56 PM   #14

Name: Dean
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Just today I purchased some 155/80R/13's for my boler
Mollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:25 AM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by beans View Post
A space saver spare would work for temporary use on a trailer just as well as on a car or van.
Depending on the offset of the wheel. It's more than size and bolt pattern. Travel trailer wheels are zero offset.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires