New To Group-1978 13' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2003, 08:50 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
New To Group-1978 13' Scamp

:wave Hello,
Just found this group and registered. I have a 1978 Scamp that I bought last summer for $500.00. It was in fair shape, took me about a month to get it fixed up. It needed a serious cleaning, and the fiberglass was so faded there was no hope of getting a shine back to it, so I painted it, two tone white on top blue on the bottom. I painted it with Interlux epoxy based marine paint, and it looks very nice. The wiring was such a mess (original tail lights dead, add on lights mounted to rear bumper) that I found it easier to just rip it all out and rewire the whole thing. I pulled off all the lights (tail and side marker) and filled the holes with fiberglass auto body filler, plus I repaired a huge crack in the rear with auto body filler as well (PO had fixed the crack with bathtub caulk). Then after I painted it I installed new tail and side marker lights. Anyway, glad I found this group, looks like a good source for info.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 08:58 PM   #2

Welcome Jeff,
You'll enjoy this site. There is so much info and experience here. Glad you could make it!

Old 02-12-2003, 09:04 PM   #3

Hi Jeff
Welcome to this site.:wave

Old 02-12-2003, 10:28 PM   #4

Wow, Jeff, I don't suppose you took any before, during and after pictures did you. I love seeing the transformations.
Have you worked with fiberglass before the trailer work? Sounds as if there was a lot of it done to get it like you wanted it. We have some here that are in the already started redo stage, and some in the almost finished stage. I say almost, because people always seem to be doing or redoing something. :)

Old 02-13-2003, 07:55 AM   #5

Welcome Jeff!

Welcome Jeff! You are in the right place. I'm absolutely impressed with the knowledge base of the folks who frequent this website.

We have some real experts in restoring old fiberglass trailers here! And look forward to you adding your experiences.

Got any pictures?

Old 02-13-2003, 09:03 AM   #6

Nuther "Welcome!" here. Did ya get that insulation cleaned? My wife said "Use a hand-scrubbing, short bristled brush and a toothbrush."

Tags
scamp