New Trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2006, 08:08 PM   #21

Trailer: 1978 Surfside
Hi,

We have just purchased a 1978 Surfside 14' trailer. We got a 'fix-r-upper' for $1300.00 CDN and I am pumped to get started on some renovations. The couple that we bought it from have moved on to a motorhome and had the trailer stored in a garage for a few years. They loved the trailer, but weren't the handiest when it came to repairs. The 12 volt lighting is hanging by the wires and will need attention. The replaced the fridge with a larger model that sacrificed the furnace in order to have the height. Heck, we are going to be camping in the summer and a fridge with a seperate freezer is a bonus The back bumper has been replaced with a piece of angle iron. Not the prettiest, but it has the spare tire attached so it's functional. I have been reading your wonderful advice on this website for the last few days. I am going to fill the cracks in the ensolite with paintable caulking and paint the interior with white melamine paint. I am going to paint the woodgrain accessories and cupboard doors with some beige melamine paint that I have left over from my house cupboards.

The exterior has been repainted a two-tone blue and you can see brush marks I plan on sanding down the high spots and washing with TSP before repainting. Is there a particular paint that I should be using. Do I need to use a primer first? I want to have an smooth automotive type finish that will be easy to clean and wont dull. I am wondering if the same white melamine paint could be applied to the exterior. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin & Lori
Kevin W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:45 AM   #22

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
Quote:
Welcome to the site Miriam! Your trailer looks great! I like the floorplan.
Lizbeth,

Somehow I missed the posts on this thread. Thanks so much for your encouragement and comments!

- Miriam
Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:01 AM   #23

Registry
Quote:
Miriam--

I would love to see more photos of your Surf Side--the after shots from the Prairie Bolerama are encouraging--how bad was the before? It's been pretty cold here in Colorado, so my husband and I haven't been able to do a huge amount of work, but we're making progress! We ripped everything out and cleaned our insulation. We just finished painting it and replacing all of our running lights. Next step is to begin building cabinets and putting everything back in. I will post a couple pictures soon (they're on a different computer).
Sandy,

So sorry my reply is so late. Somehow I "lost" this thread.....

How bad was the before? Well....the structural condition was pretty good, except for a few leaky windows. The only "problem" was the "fix-it" someone had done. They'd peeled off the bottom of the ensolite backsplash and painted the raw fiberglass and upper ensolite with granite paint. The granite paint was covering numerous layers of silicone sealant (different types), glue gun goo, rubber cement, and some kind of cardboardy stuff which I can only assume was wallpaper of some sort. It was a NIGHTMARE to take off.

I think this will take you to some of the "before" shots (hope it works):
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...pe=post&id=2303
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...pe=post&id=2307
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...pe=post&id=2305
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...pe=post&id=4093
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...pe=post&id=2306
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...pe=post&id=2302

It took a couple of years before our unit was fixed up. It took me 2 seasons just to vacume and scrape (and scrape and scrape...) the granite paint off. The sewing was the funnest part - it made the most dramatic difference to the end results. The cleaning was what really paid off, though. I can't believe how just a bit of soap and water makes (and Mr. Clean, and TSP, and bleach, and ammonia, and bathroom cleanser, and solvent, and acetone, and rubber cement cleaner, and silicone remover, and paint stripper, and....). Anyway, congratulations on your unit. They're really worth the effort to fix up! I'm looking forward to your after and "during" shots!

- Miriam
Old 06-06-2006, 01:03 AM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Hi Sandy,

Just to let you know I saw Miriam's Surfside up close and I have never seen a more beautiful interior. That is my ideal trailer - just awesome. Miriam and her hubby were a couple spots down from us at Prairie Bolerama.

I'd love to have my house looking half that good!

It's one of those trailers that you don't forget.

Brenda
Brenda,

***blush****

Thanks-you SO MUCH! Hope to catch up with you again soon, We'll be missing Bolerama this year (they scheduled the dates on the same weekend as the Grand Prix, danggit). Will you be attending the Oregon gathering? It would be lovely to catch up again!

- Miriam

- Miriam
Old 06-06-2006, 06:44 AM   #25

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1978
Regarding removing the 'ensolite'. I just finished spending two evenings of quality time with my Surfside and a gas powered pressure washer. The insulation (foam with a latex covering - a.k.a. elephant skin or cottage cheese) had mold and mildew between it and the glass from many water leaks. I peeled off all that I could by hand, and picked off even more by fingers. I then spent about 4 hours inside with the pressure washer 'cutting' the remaining foam off. Use the pressure washer as a chisel or scraper and keep moving it, with time it does remove all the remaing foam. (Very similar to washing out pig barns as a kid, fortunately the Surfside does not smell nearly as bad.) I looked at it this morning and all is well.
Now to re-line it!
Adam
adamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:23 AM   #26

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Hi Kevin,

Check with a boat dealer (you should find lots close). They sell paint I think called Interlux which can be applied with either a brush or rollar. It seems to give a very nice finish.
Barbara Gardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:29 PM   #27

Trailer: 1978 Surfside
Hi Barbara,

Thanks for the info. I read a little about the interlux paint on the internet and sounds like a very durable product. I will check out some local boat supply stores and pick a colour from what they have in stock

Kevin
Kevin W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:47 AM   #28

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Quote:
Any Q's on surfside specifics, just ask

Tim
Hey Tim, I have a 77 Surfside 14, what type of axle does it have, where did you get your new one?
Thnx
Cam
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:32 AM   #29

Trailer: Triple E Surfside 14 ft 1979
Good for you! I also have a 79 surfside and love mine. It's in pretty good shape, and we use it a lot. I'm a ham radio operator and use it for emergencies, and radio communication services for different opganizations.
We also fish and hike as well.
We have found the bed to be comfortable after I changed the foam with firmer stuff. The windows are easily repaired if they leak. I took the propane out of the camper completely and use a microwave, I don't trust the old propane lines. Ours tows like a champ, straight down the road..no wiggle or sway. I use a ford 150 E Van to tow so there is plenty of power.
What changes have you made in yours and what do you like or dislike about it.
Hope to hear back from you.
Butch & Carolyne
PS We call our camper "Ham N Egg"
Butch H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:12 AM   #30

Trailer: 1976 Surfside TM14 (Eggzibit)
Just thought you might all be interested to take a look at our Before and after pic's that i posted in the modifications/reno /alterations section......not sure how to link you there but....it's under 1978 surfside reno(i think).
Check it out!!!!! Let us know what you think and of course any suggestions you might have.
J

Ok try this http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...st&p=218062
hope it works.
Jaclyn W is offline   Reply With Quote