New Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2005, 09:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 1979 14 ft Surfside
Hello everyone! My husband and I just bought a 1979 Surfside Triple E (It's the one that was posted on Craigslist) and I was wondering if anyone out there has one and what you think of it. We have not seen it, so we're not exactly sure what the inside looks like. Also, we are more familiar with the Burros, Scamps, etc., but not with this model. Anything we should look out for? Thanks!
Sandy Gilpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 10:41 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Congrats! I was seriously thinking of checking that one out myself! (I snoozed!)

I am not overly familiar with them, so I am no help, but there are a few here that have them.

Please post inside pics when you get it.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 01:24 AM   #3

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Yep we snoozed on that one Gina!

Congratulations Sandy! At the top of the page there is a link to the albums pages. I think there are some pictures of a Surfside there.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:01 AM   #4

Thanks Gina and Lizbeth--we have been snoozing on trailers left and right, and finally committed--we don't know a whole lot about it because after talking with them for a few minutes, we realized that nothing they would say would keep us from buying it. I've seen the Surfside album pictures here, and as soon as we get it (sometime early-mid December -- we live in SW Colorado, so it's a big trip!), we'll post inside pictures--I'm curious myself.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:55 AM   #5
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I stand to be corrected on this, but I believe that there are two different floorplans on Surfsides. One has a kitchen up front with a privacy room on the street side, the other has the typical side kitchen arrangement.

One of the nice things about Surfsides is that they are around 14' rather than 13'. At least I think it is. I just remember that they are a little longer than the 13'.

Those that have them really like them. Of course, don't we all?
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:05 AM   #6
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Here's some info I found that was stored from a really old post. It might be helpful. I also verified that it is considered a 14' trailer, which means the box will be close to 11'.

My Surfside (Trillium clone) is 5'9.5'' at the door, goes up 3'' in about 10'' then does a curve from there up some more. My son who is 6'2.5'' was quite comfortable. 75'' wide at the bed.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 01:12 PM   #7

Trailer: Surfside TM14
Congrats Sandy,

We have a '76 Surfside. We've had it for just over a year and have been using it so often we haven't had time to do all the upgrades we have planned. We love it!
Don’t panic when you see these pics of our interior! Although only 3 yrs newer, I bet yours will look much more modern. We are going to replace all the foam, covers and drapes this winter!
DG
Attached Thumbnails
sinkStovetop.jpg  
Don Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 01:13 PM   #8

more pix
Attached Thumbnails
tableBack.jpg  
Old 11-18-2005, 01:20 PM   #9

And just for fun...a picture of the outside, the day we bought it. In this pic the bottom half is still painted tan like the top. It was house paint and would come off in patches when we got up to 100Kph. I've scraped most of it off and will be painting the whole thing this spring....I hope!
Attached Thumbnails
rightside.jpg  
Old 12-05-2005, 11:24 AM   #10

Yay! We just got our trailer! It will definitely be a project. I'll try to attach a couple pictures .
Here's one a few minutes after it was officially ours.

Click image for larger version

Name:	001Trailer_exterior_door_side.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1219
Old 12-05-2005, 11:27 AM   #11

And here's a picture of the kitchen--none of the doors will currently stay closed (that's okay--they will all be disappearing soon!)

Name:	002Trailer_kitchen.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1220
Old 02-09-2006, 03:37 PM   #12

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
Quote:
Hello everyone! My husband and I just bought a 1979 Surfside Triple E (It's the one that was posted on Craigslist) and I was wondering if anyone out there has one and what you think of it. We have not seen it, so we're not exactly sure what the inside looks like. Also, we are more familiar with the Burros, Scamps, etc., but not with this model. Anything we should look out for? Thanks!
Congratulations on your purchase! I have a Surfside, too, and I'd love to see some pictures of yours. Ours was a bit rough when first purchased. It's taken loads of elbow grease, but it's finally looking quite spiffy. We have the configuration with the kitchen at the front instead of the side. It allows us to make up the bed to any size imaginable (believe it or not, even a KING size, no kidding). We've chosen the regular double mattress size and have put in a full mattress. It means we don't set up the dining room, but that's what the picnic table is for, right? (NOTE: If it's raining, we have a small seating area for two inside, and, hey, that's why we have restaurants!) The "AFTER" photos are posted on the (Canadian) Prairie Bolerama website (Picture #38, #39, #40, and #73). There's heaps of photos on the site.
http://community.webshots.com/album/412441905NYjbdt/2
Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 04:14 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
congrats go luck with it hope you enjoy.in some ways it looks a little like my amerigo
Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:05 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Welcome to the site Miriam! Your trailer looks great! I like the floorplan.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:44 PM   #15

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Welcome to the site Miriam! Your trailer looks great! [b]I like the floorplan.
I actually like both floorplans... they're both different. Each has a refrigerator mounted high so that the contents are within easy reach!

Miriam's floorplan is like the smallest Shasta's, a stickie that I like.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:24 PM   #16

Miriam--

I would love to see more photos of your Surf Side--the after shots from the Prairie Bolerama are encouraging--how bad was the before? It's been pretty cold here in Colorado, so my husband and I haven't been able to do a huge amount of work, but we're making progress! We ripped everything out and cleaned our insulation. We just finished painting it and replacing all of our running lights. Next step is to begin building cabinets and putting everything back in. I will post a couple pictures soon (they're on a different computer).
Old 02-13-2006, 07:18 PM   #17

Name: Brenda
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Hi Sandy,

Just to let you know I saw Miriam's Surfside up close and I have never seen a more beautiful interior. That is my ideal trailer - just awesome. Miriam and her hubby were a couple spots down from us at Prairie Bolerama.

I'd love to have my house looking half that good!

It's one of those trailers that you don't forget.

Brenda
Brenda Novakovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:58 PM   #18

Name:	Original_Dirty_Rear.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1298
So, as promised, here are a couple pictures. They are of the back of the trailer, where the dinette/bed will be. Our trailer had definitely been neglected and suffered lots of mold/mildew damage. The first picture doesn't do justice to the nastiness of the insulation--just use your imagination. Many hours of elbow grease later, we have it all cleaned (using a nasty thing called TSP) and painted. The ugly carpet that is in the first picture is also history (no new flooring yet--that's to come).
Attached Thumbnails
Cleaned_and_Painted_Rear.jpg  
Old 02-14-2006, 10:31 AM   #19

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Hi Sandy,
Your Surfside is so much better now! You did a lot of work! What flooring are you going to use?
Lauren
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:41 PM   #20

Trailer: TM14 Surfside
Sandi,

Congrats on the buy. I also have a we Surfside TM-14 and am about 80% on the restoration. The previous owner was using it as a garden shed, so depite relatively low mileage, it needed a bit of work ... just the exterior to go.

Any Q's on surfside specifics, just ask ... I
I've had it off the frame, re-wired it, new axle, new brakes, new cabinets, yadda and still not finished ... and made all the mistakes to boot. Happy to give you the gen to aviod "issues" if I can.

See you on the road,

Tim
Timmy G is offline   Reply With Quote