New window smaller than hole - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 1970 Campster
Okay. When I ordered my window 18" x 36" I expected to get those dimensions but. . . what I got was 17.5 x 36. So my question for all the fiberglass gurus today is: What type of fiberglass material should I use to fill the 1/2" gap so the window will fit snug? I have Marinetex on hand but I haven't worked with it before and don't know whether or not it will work for this application. If I use fiberglass mat I'm concerned that the overlap areas onto the existing shell will thicken and thus make the walls uneven, which will in turn affect how the trim ring sits. Also, my intuition tells me that I should fill the gap above the window because of it's (dual pane) weight. Anybody care to enlighten me with your infinite wisdom?

Old 08-02-2009, 10:16 PM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Brady and Jenny changed the square jalousie windows in their Boler to the radius style, which necessitated fiberglassing in the corners. Here's the topic and a link to their pictures:
Total Boler Restoration

You'll find the information about how they did the corners in the third post.

Others may jump in to help too!

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:34 PM   #3

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Okay. When I ordered my window 18" x 36" I expected to get those dimensions but. . . what I got was 17.5 x 36. So my question for all the fiberglass gurus today is: What type of fiberglass material should I use to fill the 1/2" gap so the window will fit snug? I have Marinetex on hand but I haven't worked with it before and don't know whether or not it will work for this application. If I use fiberglass mat I'm concerned that the overlap areas onto the existing shell will thicken and thus make the walls uneven, which will in turn affect how the trim ring sits. Also, my intuition tells me that I should fill the gap above the window because of it's (dual pane) weight. Anybody care to enlighten me with your infinite wisdom?
You could consider forming a lentil, using a flat piece of aluminum to extend the top. or you could even put it on a break to form a gutter at the the top. {local heating contractor}
Another possibility would be to cut an escutcheon from a flat piece of Rollex, resulting in an additional 1/4"-1/2" all the way around.
Maybe a piece of the frame from the glass portion of a screen door sash! This might clip over the fiberglass and only add a few thousandths of an inch inside and out [Easily taken care of by the sealant.
Just ideas to avoid body work.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:54 PM   #4

Thank you sooo much Donna! That really helps. You're a dear! Boy, Jenny's Boler makeover turned out really neat! I sure enjoyed watching her slide show evolution of the Boler.

Also, thank you Floyd for jumping in while I was responding to Donna's post. Keep 'em come'n!
Old 08-03-2009, 01:21 PM   #5

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
On a fiberglass camper, I would fill in with fiberglass reinforcement* and epoxy resin. You can use something like a waxed board on one side to keep things smooth. Make the fill-in oversized, then cut the hole to the proper size (vs. trying to make it just the right size in the first place).

Once you have that done you can paint the bit of fiberglass that's showing on the outside. Or if you want to get really fancy, fill in both top and bottom a bit and then the flanges will probably cover it (I would only fill in one place though - would decide which one by checking out the inside and outside to see where things would end up in terms of trim, etc.)

I think there are a number of posts in the archives talking about how to do fiberglass lay-ups, so I won't re-hash that here at this point. (Although I do not seem to be able to use the search function here very well.) Of course ask if you have specific questions.

Raya

*Something like a biaxmat would be really strong, but a woven cloth would probably be adequate.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #6

Name: Brandy
I'm lazy I'd order a new window again
Old 08-03-2009, 08:23 PM   #7

Quote:
I'm lazy I'd order a new window again
I agree, but unfortunately I think it would be more trouble than it's worth in the long run. I would order another window if it weren't for the fact that my summer is almost over and it took the company forever to finish making the window in the first place. I think that small orders like mine are a lower priority to them than filling orders for the few surviving RV manufacturers. This company is planning on closing up the nearby shop soon and then I'll need to order from it's parent company somewhere in Montana or elsewhere up north. I figure I might as well bite the bullet and learn how to fiberglass now since I'm eventually going to need to do it for some of my other projects. There's no point in postponing the inevitable! Thanks for weighing in though!
Old 08-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Once you have that done you can paint the bit of fiberglass that's showing on the outside. Or if you want to get really fancy, fill in both top and bottom a bit and then the flanges will probably cover it (I would only fill in one place though - would decide which one by checking out the inside and outside to see where things would end up in terms of trim, etc.
That's a good point, Raya. Thanks. I had not considered the flanges covering the work. Boy, I sure am glad I took a nap this afternoon after I bought all the fiberglass materials. I might have started this project without taking this into consideration!
Old 08-05-2009, 01:27 AM   #9

Does anyone know how much overlap of the fiberglass mat I should have over the trailer walls? Is one inch enough?

Thanks!
Lisa