Newbie Alert! Looking for some information - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2007, 08:47 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Hello - just picked up my first little glass trailer yesterday - an '87 13' Scamp. There are a couple items missing that I want to change right away. If anyone has any information or tips I would be grateful

1. The top bunk has gone missing. No hardbacked cushion, no hardware, brackets, etc. The only thing left is the support under the window. Anyone have a DIY solution or know what parts to buy?

2. The rear window has had an ugly AC unit installed. It looks like it will just pop out and I can replace the glass, but the window also looks like it's either a split pane or was a slider. I've never seen a rear sliding window in these. Not sure what to do with this.

3. The wheels are different than what Scamps come with today - no spokes in the wheels. Does anyone know what size of baby moon hubcaps would fit?

Thanks all!
Mark Houghton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Hi Mark,

Welcome! I am in North Seattle (Lake Forest Park). Nice to have a neighbor! I'm sure you will get loads of information.

Sharon
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 01:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
HI Mark? ..from sunny soggy Vancouver B.C.

Can't offer too much in nthe way of assistance on Scamps but I think they didn't come with sliding windows. Wheels/tires again I'm not sure of. Sorry couldn't be of more assistance
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Hello - just picked up my first little glass trailer yesterday - an '87 13' Scamp. There are a couple items missing that I want to change right away. If anyone has any information or tips I would be grateful

1. The top bunk has gone missing. No hardbacked cushion, no hardware, brackets, etc. The only thing left is the support under the window. Anyone have a DIY solution or know what parts to buy?

2. The rear window has had an ugly AC unit installed. It looks like it will just pop out and I can replace the glass, but the window also looks like it's either a split pane or was a slider. I've never seen a rear sliding window in these. Not sure what to do with this.

3. The wheels are different than what Scamps come with today - no spokes in the wheels. Does anyone know what size of baby moon hubcaps would fit?

Thanks all!
Hmmmm- --first of all WELCOME to the ranks of Scamp/"egg" type owners... Now, maybe some help/advice.
1. on the bunk, pshaw, I just had mine out and recovered-- could have taken good measurements, pictures etc. It's a chunk of plywood cut to contour the shell when up. Then it is hinged to slightly fold (the last 6 inches or so on each end) when down to "bend' to the shell for a couch back.
2. I'm like you, I've never seen a slider either. I thought all had a chunk of plexiglass, just sorta bent/curved to fit in the gasket.
3. if you have the 4 hole wheels, and the wheels take inside clippie hubcaps like mine (83 model) baby moons are the same as the ones that Les Schwab tire stores sell for their "Smoothie" chrome wheels.
Hope this helps... Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:37 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
My 91S13 indeed has a slider rear window; the Scamp rear window opening is a flat plane and uses standard RV windows. The front window has compound curves and is custom.

Go to the source >> Call Scamp's repair parts section on their 1-800 number, with your VIN in hand, and they should be able to answer all your questions, plus give you prices on parts. Shipping on something like a window might be prohibitive because it will need to be crated...

There is a parts/price list downloadable in several formats on the Scamp site altho not all parts are listed.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:34 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
1. The top bunk has gone missing. No hardbacked cushion, no hardware, brackets, etc. The only thing left is the support under the window. [b]Anyone have a DIY solution or know what parts to buy?
Link to Post about rebuilding front bunk beds.

The author of that post called it a "Couch" so I knew to search for that word...
Old 05-03-2007, 11:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
The top bunk has gone missing. No hardbacked cushion, no hardware, brackets, etc. The only thing left is the support under the window. Anyone have a DIY solution or know what parts to buy?
I am remodeling my Scamp 5th wheel and have taken the bunk out (see Converting a Scamp 5er Loft) and have the seat and back cushion/platform, as well as the seat base hatch covers and doors. The poles and base that support the "bunk" have already been spoken for, but if you're handy with a welder I can take pictures & measurements and they'd be very easy to make. The fiberglass base is waiting to go to the dump . . . it's a mess, with the front lip where the seat base makes a graceful 90 degree turn has been fractured all the way across the front . . . if you wish you can have that too.

All are in darned-near-new condition, covered in oh-so-luxurious Original Scamp Blue Plaid (it's a 2005 Scamp).

All can be yours for the price of a small donation to FiberglassRV forum :-) Pick them up from me in Vancouver, WA, collect them at the Oregon Gathering in July, or catch me as I drive up through Seattle for the Arlington Airshow & Fly-In July 11-15.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:45 AM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
All can be yours for the price of a small donation to FiberglassRV forum :-) Pick them up from me in Vancouver, WA, collect them at the Oregon Gathering in July, or catch me as I drive up through Seattle for the Arlington Airshow & Fly-In July 11-15.

--Peter
very generous peter = thank you. i'll see if i can get down to vancouver early next week. if not, it may have to wait until july if that's alright. amerivespa is that same weekend - seattle will be buzzing with scooters

thank you to everyone for the quick and informative responses.

sharon - i'm in richmond beach, so not far from you
Mark Houghton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:27 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
[quote]

Hi Mark and welcome. My 92 16' Scamp has rear sliders which are original.

The folks at Scamp's parts department are very nice. Give them a call as they will probable be able to give you an idea as to where you might find a replacement for the window locally.

Good luck with your project.

Carol
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:44 PM   #10

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Welcome to FGRV land!

We removed our bunk's plywood backing & ditched the supports because we never used it.

I feel sure you can get a replacement bunk & supports from Scamp's parts department. They seem to have just about everything you could want or need. There's a good parts list on their website but even if you don't see it there, call them.

Good luck & enjoy your Scamp!

Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote