Newbie blindly buying Scamp 5th - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-20-2009, 07:44 PM   #15
Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
At 6'3" I'd be slightly concerned about how well you'll fit in the Scamp's loft space The loft bed is only very slightly over 6' long and has a fiberglass wall at both the head and foot of the bed. You could always get a standard-layout scamp and convert the loft (as Lynne and I have), but the better Scamp shower is the one in the Deluxe layout, which extends left-to-right just next to the loft and would prevent you from doing this mod.

We do have several tall people who do fine in the dimensions of the loft space, but if you're a stretch-out and sleep kinda guy you might want to visit someone with a 5er to see how you and the loft get along. (We fiberglass people are a very friendly lot. Something about the gelcoat gives us a permanently bright and shiny disposition.)

The second thing to note is that the Scamp shower enclosure needs careful watching for leaks and, as is the case with all RV showers, you can quickly run out of water and gray tank capacity when you don't have hookups. We tend to use campground showers for these reasons.

We have had great fun modding our Scamp 5er. We opted to keep most of the fiberglass cabinetry because it is lightweight and easy to clean, but added wood cabinets in the loft and dinette overheads, installed Formica counter tops, replaced the cheap MDF doors with something much nicer, modified our loft and dinette layouts and did dozens of other mods that really have made our trailer into a home-on-the-road. That said, modding a fiberglass trailer, with its curved contours and never-straight-or-true walls is a unique carpentry challenge.

My main advice for modding are to make and test fit cardboard templates of everything before you cut the wood, and that you shoud build light. Most of the cabinetry wood I used was 1/4" and 3/8" hardwood ply, which is lightweight and plenty strong for a camper.

Thank you for your service . . . stay safe and come back to go camping with your wife!

peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:59 PM   #16
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
We'll add our appreciation to that expressed by others here - thank you for your service to our country! The perfect Egg is waiting out there to be claimed so you can build wonderful camping memories. Safe journeys - L 'n D

“Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions.” A. Einstein
David & Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:56 PM   #17
Name: Alan
Trailer: FORMERLY:Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
Sir -

1). Thank you.

2). I know you are in country right now, but if you, or wife or family members would like to see a 5er with the front bath, we are just south of Sacramento. AND, if you are willing to wait till just after Christmas, I will even be willing to drive it to your home for your (or family) examination. (WOULD offer to drive it today, but we JUST put Christmas lights on the White House and it isn't suitable for travel)

3). I am just 6'1" and I JUST fit side to side. I sleep Forward and wife sleeps aft (Next to the bathroom bulkhead). She arises earlier than I and we thought that would work better than having her climb over legs and what not to get up in the AM. (Also, SHE has the reading light...)

4). God Bless and thank you again.

Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote