Newbie- needs help - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Another product to consider that I have found works really well on the exterior and was made for fiberglass is by 3M. If it has a light oxidation use their Clean & Wax product using a 3m superbuff wool pad - or I have done it by hand using micro cloths but it does a really good job with the superbuff. If it has heavy oxidation then you should use their Restore & wax product..... both have worked really well for me.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #16

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
I have a 75 Trillium (green grape) Someone told me that the bathroom kitchen product "VIM" was good at removing the scum & blk spots. I tried it on a small section just using a cloth and was suprised at the results. Will have to wait for better weather to give it a good try.
Ron

Old 03-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #17

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
Rosemarie K
I just buffed my trailer and waxed it with regular fiberglass/car wax when we acquired it ,once in the spring once in fall......we dont use our showe either, As for the door carpeting, when i had my door apart to fix the water saturation problem, I just peeled the Rat Fur off and threw it in wash machine, reapplied with 3m 90 adhesive, or you could peel off carpeting ,remove the remaining glue, sand/smooth with bondo and paint it, its just a fiberglass panel but it is was pretty rough on mine. I see pictures on here once where someone did exactlly that....
Tom
Old 03-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #18

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRJR View Post
I have a 75 Trillium (green grape) Someone told me that the bathroom kitchen product "VIM" was good at removing the scum & blk spots. I tried it on a small section just using a cloth and was suprised at the results. Will have to wait for better weather to give it a good try.
Ron
I was having a hard time removing black scuff marks. They were left by the metal trim on the table while resting in the bench grooves while in the down position. A boater friend recommended the VIM, it worked very well. However, you have to use the VIM that comes in a green bottle. I was told it has a micro abrasive in it the "scrubs/sands" it out. There was a slight dullness to the areas that I had scrubbed. Come spring I'll try and polish it back up.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 03-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #19

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Good luck finding a teen willing to work that hard these days, lol. My teen daughter would and even she cant believe how lazy/spoiled other teens are. She volunteers at the library and when other teens come in to do their volunteer hours (required for graduation) they find somewhere to hide and then play with their phones the entire time. They are too lazy to put books back on a shelf!
its pretty easy actualy, go to your local church. offer a donation to the youthgroup in exchange for a trailer "spiffinuppin".......is that a word?

or scout troup ,,,or (fill in the blank)
Old 03-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #20

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Auto wax versus Red Max Pro 3

We use to wax our trailer with car wax and would have to do it frequently, at least four times a year to keep a shine.

We've had a Red Max Pro 3 shine for 7 months, on the road 5 months, and it still glows, more than any auto wax shine I ever used.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #21

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
Its pretty easy actually, go to your local church. offer a donation to the youth-group in exchange for a trailer "spiffinuppin".......is that a word?
I have driven past groups waving CAR WASH signs as fund raisers... gone home and hitched up the Fiber Stream and put a ladder in the van... returned to the fund raiser and watched their eyes grow big when I pull in. They're pretty amenable once I offer double their suggested donation (Usually way cheap) to do the work for me.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #22

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Cool Rosemarie K

I think Rosmarie K may be doing some heavy duty lurking if she wasn't grabbed by a Florida gator. Or worse yet, maybe she (GASP) bought a stickie!!?

Her original and one and only post was in 2008 and there is a 4 year gap between posts 5 & 6 in this thread.

I would like to point out: I understand that Poliglow costs about $75 for a quart and Red Max is $16 a gallon.

Good news re Rosmarie: Her last activity (not posting) on this site was Jan 4 of this year. So she is apparently lurking big time.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #23

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hi Rosemarie, welcome to FiberglassRV. My trailer is years older than yours and I've made friends with "no shine."......
I'm like Donna D, it "no shine" for me. Nothing against the shiny ones, but I prefer the low satin sheen of a wax. rub on wipe off, no buffing.
KISS (Keep It Stupidly Simple)
Old 03-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #24

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Thanks Pam! I'm not into trying to fool people... I don't color my hair either . It's all about whatever folks are comfortable with. My trailer is old... like me! I much prefer folks see my trailer and say it's in great shape for it's age, than to look at something really shiny and wonder why it's not more "modern." I've got wrinkles... and so does my trailer.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote