Newfie newby with a few intial questions??? - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-11-2014, 05:31 PM   #1

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Newfie newby with a few intial questions???

Hi there, newby Retro Randy here with a few of questions. I just registered this morning and want to start addressing some questions in a somewhat prioritized fashion. Haven't any real forum experience and have been blessed with lots of thumbs; cursed with the propensity to ramble, but I'll try to stay focused.

First I'm trying to determine if it's best to post this type of question here or in the Problem Solving Forum, from what I've been reading there does not appear to be much difference and I just want to start off with the right direction in that regard. (Look at that, the first ever smilie for this old fart).
Secondly I have been considering using the permanent bumper jacks to slightly raise the tires while the Trillium 1300 is parked in my yard, thinking it may help reduce any static stress on the tires (Rhoden 175R 13C).Does this make sense or would the supposed stress to the frame/shell be worse than that which the tires would be subjected to. It will sit for a long time, outside of a couple of trips this season. The trailer would just have some basic bug out gear not much extra weight on board.
Third, is it okay to post related questions in the same post or should I start new posts each time---case in point--I've a question on jacking the trailer to check bearings,etc.. From what I've read, I recall having to use the bumper to jack the wheel off the ground. My question is with a parked trailer and a regular jackstand at the tongue and a welded jackstand at each side of the bumper, how would I best jack it up? Would using the jack at just one side at the back be okay or should I raise both? There appears to be some previous damage at the shell behind the starboard/passenger (what lingo here??) side which I would attribute to jacking at the shell. That will be part of another post, but for now I'll add a couple of pics of the jacks. Thanks
Randy
Attached Thumbnails
011.JPG   006.JPG  

Old 06-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Looking at the situation and your questions in a generic FGRV manner.....

The rear "jacks" attached to the bumper are usually seen as being "Stabilizers" rather than as "Lifting" jacks. I haven't seen what appears to be swing away tongue jacks used in that way before, but it is an idea.

Actually, that big box on the back scares me more than the jacks. FGRV frames usually aren't designed for that kind of dynamic weight and it will have to be offset with additional weight up front to maintain tongue weight. Ditto on the creative spare tire mount. I see you already have two LP bottles up there as well.

I am sure some of the several Trillium experts will give more exacting information.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #3

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Looking at the situation and your questions in a generic FGRV manner.....

The rear "jacks" attached to the bumper are usually seen as being "Stabilizers" rather than as "Lifting" jacks. I haven't seen what appears to be swing away tongue jacks used in that way before, but it is an idea.

Actually, that big box on the back scares me more than the jacks. FGRV frames usually aren't designed for that kind of dynamic weight and it will have to be offset with additional weight up front to maintain tongue weight. Ditto on the creative spare tire mount. I see you already have two LP bottles up there as well.

I am sure some of the several Trillium experts will give more exacting information.
Yes Bob, there had been ( original ?) jacks welded in front of the bumper on both port and starboard main frame members. I commented to the seller that it looked like a crosser had been cut off but he explained that is where the jacks were welded, he changed to the current ones to make the process quick and easy. The box may have contributed to unfavorable stop and go city driving when I picked it up, however on the highway it seemed quite fine. I've removed it to repair and paint it and to get at the bumper area and will soon do my first trip without it for comparison. It housed a small 2 stroke generator, water hoses, electrical cords, awning and such. As to jacking, maybe an auto jack on the frame area behind the wheel would work as well?
Old 06-11-2014, 08:54 PM   #4

California
Sometimes the term "Jacks" is used in lieu of what are called "Stabilizers". Stabilizers are usually located where the cross member appears to be missing. They are manually extended while the trailer is slightly nose-down and make solid contact when the trailer is raised to level.

I let the Trillium pros comment on the box.

As far as lifting, I'd use a hydraulic floor jack and a heavy duty jack-stands to support the axle if you want weight off the tires. I wouldn't support that much weight with the frame, it's stressed enough already.

But, then again, I don't subscribe to the weight-off-the-tires school of thought. I do subscribe to checking tire dates and tossing anything approaching 6 years of age, regardless of tread, though,
Old 06-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I don't know Trilliums, but I do know if it has a torsion damped axle you do NOT want to put a jack under it - it will damage the torsion housing..........

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:58 PM   #6

California
I guess that I am glad that we sold the Scamp and the Lil'Bigfoot. We lifted them that way several times, usually just inboard of the swing arm..... but I will be more cautious in the future.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
My first Trillium 4500 had jacks on the bumper, sorta like yours. It looks like some extra metal was added to your bumper to mount them. They can be used to lift your trailer, but I would not get in it when the wheels are off the ground. Too much stress on the frame.

It should be noted that if you do jack your trailer high, it should be done in steps. Raising the tongue way up then the rear will cause the jacks to torque, and possibly break, or bend the frame. I know this because like I said, my first Trillium had a similar set up. I got lucky. The rear bumper on my trailer was a 4"x4" square, which it turns out was made of bent sheet metal with the seam on the bottom. I got enough torque on the rear jacks that the tack welds on the square tube all snapped. I replaced that piece when I put on a rear hitch receiver, for a cargo platform. Your bumper is a 2”x3” square tube of high strength steel, (HSS). It probably won't give as much.

That box and spare mount is less useful then you might think. I would not put anything heavy in it. Too much weight on the bumper leads to sway. Or more correctly, not enough tongue weight, but the extra weight on the bumper makes it much worse. That is probably why the previous owner, (PO) had that anti sway bar. That is not usually required on a Trillium. Just for looks, I would get rid of the box, but that is just me.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #8

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Just a few thoughts -

As for the lingo, starboard is "curb side" and port is "street side".

Not sure what everyone else does, but when we park our trailer for any extended period of time, we use our stabilizer jacks (four of them) to just barely take the weight off the tires. That is, we level the trailer and snug them up firmly to the frame. Not sure if this is necessary or helpful or not. Maybe others can weigh in with their opinions.

I too would be leery about that box on the back. It sounds like the PO had quite a bit of weight there on the back bumper, what with the spare tire and all the stuff in the box (even a small generator would be kind of heavy).
Old 06-12-2014, 10:47 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I try to jack on the frame as close to the axle tube as you can get. If I have to jack on the axle tube it will only be jacked where the tube mounts to the frame. Never jack in the middle of a trailer axle tube.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: Aliner folding & Weekend Warrior toy hauler
Ohio
The trailer is designed to support the weight at the tires, tongue, and nowhere else. Do not lift at the corners by the stabilizers unless you want to fold it like a taco.
1998 Ford E150 pulling a 2006 Weekend Warrior toy hauler = 8 MPG
beemerphile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #11

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile1 View Post
The trailer is designed to support the weight at the tires, tongue, and nowhere else. Do not lift at the corners by the stabilizers unless you want to fold it like a taco.
A bit extreme don't you think? I don't recommend lifting from the bumper. But, like I said, I have done it, I suspect several others have done it. No taco's resulted. These are fairly light trailers. Perhaps your toy hauler would taco, but I doubt the OP's Trillium 1300 is in danger.