NH Motor Vehicle is having trouble telling me if my camper needs inspection - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #1

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
NH Motor Vehicle is having trouble telling me if my camper needs inspection

i have had it registered in nh for 2 yrs...in and out of rv shops...no one ever mentioned inspecting it.

now the new guy says i need to. so i called DMV and they couldnt answer the question and are "researching" it. i couldnt find anything on the site-thats whay i called

what are other states like? is there anything federal about inspections?

again-not exactly sure where to post this question-if it belongs somewhere else...let me know. ths.
lpk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I live all the way across the US from you, but I can tell you in Oregon... my trailer has never been inspected by DMV. I have the title.. in my name and every two years I get a registration notice for the plate and registration. I send in the amount of money and receive a new sticker for the plate. Done. That's how we do it here... YMMV

Who is the "new guy"? Is he with your state's DMV? If you state can't figure it out what makes you think he knows what he's talking about? Not being snarky here, but I know folks think they know everything and truthly they know little...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #3

New Hampshire
i know...its hard to know who to listen to...the other shops didnt say anything...but then they didnt say i needed a brake controller either...with my full size truck.

dmv emailed me a page...its long...i think this is the only part that means anything to me.

(a) All trailers, semi-trailers and full trailers with a registered weight of 3,000 pounds or more shall be inspected.

but i dont know if "registered weight is empty or full...am i supposed to say dry or gross?

the casita is about 2400/3500 i think...i dont have the papers here...

i got the brake controller on the new truck and the rav's hitch home...so i am making progress.

the registration people didnt say anything in 2 separate offices ... but they did seem to have trouble finding the casita in the blue book and i just noticed they have it registered as 2 axels...so it seems like somthing is really wrong. i wonder if i can be blamed for that.

when i register the truck i will ask again...and see what happens.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #4

New Hampshire
Frederick posted this for me its the 2007 FD i have...so i think i'll make a copy and take it to dmv...2385 is less than 3000...and maybe they'll get the axels right.

thanks Frederick!!!

Specifications
RV Type
Travel Trailer
Length
17' x 6'8"
Axles
Weight
Self-Contained
Yes
Slides
N/A
Old 05-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It really, really sounds like you need to touch bases with Norm. He and Ginny are New Hampshire residents. He can give you the scoop. Send him a PM. I know Norm will help you: Fiberglass RV - View Profile: honda03842
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:40 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Next door in VT the threshold is 1500 lbs. The manufacturers stated weight, in my case 1400 lbs, is what they used. Below 1500 lbs the registration is 1/2 the cost and starting last year no inspection is needed. The inspection was a $35 light check.

My suggestion, the new guys opinion is just that, his opinion. He's an RV tech not a DMV employee. Talk to his boss or go to a different shop. In terms of the state, I would use what ever number Casita says. If they want a "loaded" number, add 100 lbs for your stuff. You're not hauling tractors or rocks and all your stuff could go in your tow vehicle for all they know. Let them get your money by staying at a state campground. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:43 AM   #7

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
I live in NH and I've never had a trailer inspected. Was this guy an RV dealer looking to pick your pocket?
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:17 AM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
There is no RV trailer inspection in NH.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:15 AM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
From the "rules and laws section" of the NH DMV web site.

PART Saf-C 3227* TRAILERS AND SEMI-TRAILERS
Saf-C 3227.01* Inspection Required.
(a)* All trailers, semi-trailers and full trailers with a registered weight of 3,000 pounds or more shall be inspected.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #10

New Hampshire
THANK YOU ALL!!!! i was gonna call you norm. i still hope i can meet you guys before you leave. there is a chance i will finally hook up tomorrow.

raz-i did find that...but wasnt sure if the 3000 was empty or full and i am one who doesnt carry much and yes i can put what i need in the TV

ron-i am beginning to wonder. the larger shops i go to don't seem to want my business...i feel they just want the monster rigs...so i went to this guy -he was strongly recommended...but it has been an odd few weeks. he for sure recommended the wrong wdh for the rav. he got mad when i said it was too big and he had to send it back. it was 1000/10,000. i pull 3500 at the most. then without asking he redid all the wiring that uhaul had done wrong. i think he did it right...but it ended up i paid twice for wiring and then traded the car.

he charged me $108. for talking to him..i wouldnt have minded paying for a consult...but it was hard to keep him on track. he'd go off on a tangent about his health. and if i made suggestions that i got from ppl on here he got wierd...fragile ego i think.

its hard when you are learning something new. pulling with a smaller TV was new to me. i didnt realize how complicated it could get. i've hauled horses most of my life but with a full size truck...and never ran into any of these problems.

now that i think back it was his comments that sent me on wild goose chases and made me look pretty foolish on here

i so appreciate everyone here...and i hope i will have my baby back in the yard where she belongs very soon.

i did drive the new taco a few miles to the beach last night and really like it. i feel the more impaired my body is the more important it is to have a TV that will keep me out of trouble. the rav was cute and fun but not up to the casita. its was funny to me how you guys call the casita a "big boy". to me it was a cute little camper with everything i needed. after being here awhile i understand.

so thanks again. hopefully my posts will be happy and fun and full of pics and hopefully i will get to meet some of you.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #11

Florida
Kayak,

My son has someone he's used in Maine that seemed to do excellent work and I'll get his name for you before I leave.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #12

New Hampshire
ok-thanks norm.

this may be common knowledge to all of you...but if every state is different with requirements and you are legal in your own state where you are registered...does that mean if you go to another state where you don't meet requirements you are illegal? can they really confiscate your camper?

i see signs on the state lines about gun laws and cell phone use...but it never occurred to me if i was legal in nh i might not be legal in vt or nj etc.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #13

Florida
Vehicle and RV inspections are a state option. Your vehicle will not be confiscated. We have been in every state and province numerous times and have never had an issue.

Some time back the federal government forced states to implement vehicle inspections for motor vehicles, in some states like CT at great expense.

The original purpose was for auto emissions testing. Vehicles rarely if ever fail them now but vehicle inspections are still in place.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #14

New Hampshire
ok. thanks. if you have traveled that much can you tell me what the minimum speed is in places they dont have signs? my main problem is when getting ready to exit an interstate-or going thru urban area in interstate where there are many lanes...in new england do you think it is safe to assume 45mph minimum most of the time?
Old 05-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #15

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
From the "rules and laws section" of the NH DMV web site.

PART Saf-C 3227* TRAILERS AND SEMI-TRAILERS
Saf-C 3227.01* Inspection Required.
(a)* All trailers, semi-trailers and full trailers with a registered weight of 3,000 pounds or more shall be inspected.
Key to this conversation is the meaning of the words "registered weight" as it applies in New Hampshire. In many States, that number has nothing to do with curb/empty, or actual as-weighed. It's about the total weight potential, which is the GVWR number stated by the manufacturer.

If that's the case in New Hampshire, I think the Casita in question would be over 3,000 pounds and thus subject to the requirement.

The inspection's no big deal- it mostly involves checking that the brakes work.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #16

Florida
Here's a link to all the speed limits in states and provinces

Towing World Official Website

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #17

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We've had about a zillion trailers of just about anything you could imagine over the past 50 years and have never had to have any inspected.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #18

New Hampshire
yes. i have heard some of the rv guys say in nh GVWR is what determines if you need brake controller. i think over 2000 lbs needs brake controller in nh.

i have the whole page about inspections and no where does it define registered weight. that is why i am confused.

but if so many in nh get registered and not inspected - like me...it must be empty weight.

wouldnt they tell me when i registered it if i needed it inspected?

one guy did say if it has brakes it needs to be inspected...but the paper from the state doesnt say anything like that anywhere
Old 05-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #19

New Hampshire
camper inspection nh

in the link norm posted above it says nh brake law is 3000lbs. that is probably more correct than the 2000 the rv shop told me. they have made more than one mistake. it really helps to see it in writing...

heres camper inspection law in nh-i hope i can attach it

i guess i cant attach it---but the impt part is posted above
Old 05-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #20

Name: Kirk
Trailer: Casita 17" SD
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpk49 View Post
i know...its hard to know who to listen to...the other shops didnt say anything...but then they didnt say i needed a brake controller either...with my full size truck.

dmv emailed me a page...its long...i think this is the only part that means anything to me.

(a) All trailers, semi-trailers and full trailers with a registered weight of 3,000 pounds or more shall be inspected.

but i dont know if "registered weight is empty or full...am i supposed to say dry or gross?

the casita is about 2400/3500 i think...i dont have the papers here...

i got the brake controller on the new truck and the rav's hitch home...so i am making progress.

the registration people didnt say anything in 2 separate offices ... but they did seem to have trouble finding the casita in the blue book and i just noticed they have it registered as 2 axels...so it seems like somthing is really wrong. i wonder if i can be blamed for that.

when i register the truck i will ask again...and see what happens.
I'm in Maryland and registered the Casita in February shortly after taking delivery. The MVA could not find Casita in the national DOT database and registered the RV asking a few questions on length, weight, height and number of axels. Recording the make and model with hard entry. The weight was recorded net, not gross.

Like Donna the tags are renewed every two years. I'm not aware of any requirements for non-commercial trailer inspections e.g. Boats, RV's, etc.

I checked the DOT and NHTSA websites and could not find any Federal requirements for inspections.

Hope this is helpful.
jkm127 is offline   Reply With Quote