NH Motor Vehicle is having trouble telling me if my camper needs inspection - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #21

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp 16
New Hampshire
Hi guys, I just love the internet. Every question I have has already been answered. I was even happier to find it on a site I'm already registered at!

We just took delivery of a new Scamp 16' (Dry weight around 2,000 lbs). The woman at the town hall said it had to be inspected but we might have to go to a "special" inspection shop and we should look it up in the yellow pages.

I went straight to the NH DMV site and found this:

Quote:
PART Saf-C 3227 TRAILERS AND SEMI-TRAILERS
Saf-C 3227.01 Inspection Required.
(a) All trailers, semi-trailers and full trailers with a registered weight of 3,000 pounds or more shall be inspected.
It sounds to me like we are in the clear. The town already robbed me of $270 for the registration (and the state took $30), so I was hoping that would be it. Anyway, there is really nothing to inspect since its new.

I can't wait for our first camping trip! Actually I'm just excited to hook up the camper to the truck and take it for a spin to see how it feels. I don't even know if the brake controller is wired correctly yet
chuyler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #22

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Ha... You got off easy. Register a new Scamp in the Golden State and sales tax and registration will cost you almost 10% of your purchase price.

BWT: Hie Ye to the closest parking lot to try out that brake controller, otherwise that "Spin" might be more than you expected.

Many years ago my late wife did a 180 degree spin pulling our 25' Airstream, in the middle of an interstate, at 60 MPH, due to a dealer not setting up a brake controller correctly.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #23

New Hampshire
Thanks for the tip! Should I drive there with it off then? I was going to hit a parking lot anyway just to practice backing up. I've pulled uhauls before but always found ways to either back up perfectly straight or not back up at all. I don't think I'll have that option pulling into campsites. I've gotten better with the lawn tractor and trailer though so I'm hoping I don't look like a fool at the campground. The sad part is that people WILL be watching me. My truck does not go unnoticed.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #24

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
There are usually instructions with the controller on how to set it up for both wet and dry conditions. My 1st concern is if it is over sensitive and you start locking up the trailers wheels. Maybe going without brakes for a short distance until you can calibrate the controller might not be a bad idea.

In our case a dealer had just serviced the brakes the day before and the sensitivity was set way too low and the manual override didn't work. When a triple semi when by us going down hill, at about 80MPH, the Airstream started to sway and, basically, the tail wagged the dog and it spun us around before stopping. No injuries, but the inside of the trailer was a mess and the tires were shredded. We came to a stop faced into traffic, a real "E-ticket" ride.

BTW: She refused to ever drive with the trailer attached for the next 9 months and 20,000+ miles of a 1 year vacation

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:32 PM   #25

New Hampshire
My wife refuses to drive the truck anyway, so I don't think she'll attempt it with the trailer on! I think I'll put it on the lowest setting and check the manual override before I leave the neighborhood. The airport is only a few miles down the road and I think there are a few parking lots on the outskirts that don't get used. As long as the cops don't show up and shuffle me along I should be able to get some practice in. Then hopefully I won't take out the mail box backing into the driveway.

My truck has a completely overhauled brake system...but its from 1975 so they require more effort than I'm typically used to to apply brakes. I just took the truck up and down Mt Washington (with nothing in tow) and the brakes handled fine...however the bigger take-home from that trip was that the engine braking is superb. Anyway, I'm still a little nervous about towing with it but I'll take it slow at first and likely won't exceed 60 mph ever.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:56 PM   #26

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Chris,
I'm not sure you mentioned which Scamp you have. If it's the 13' don't be alarmed if the instructions don't quite work as described. It's almost impossible to lock up the 7" brakes on the 13'.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:10 AM   #27

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
The 7" brakes on my 19' grabbed damn hard, and I would be surprised if they had been messed with in years.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #28

New Hampshire
I've got the 16' Scamp (brand new).
Old 06-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #29

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
I think I'll put it on the lowest setting and check the manual override before I leave the neighborhood.
This may depend on controller, but the output resulting from full application of thd manual lever may be determined by the controller setting - if you set it to minimum you get minimal action even manually. I would do the setup at the first opportunity.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote