Trailer: 1983 Burro
Texas
Thanks, Jane! Time to clean!
-Creek

Old 04-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #72

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Conley View Post
Okay, guys, I just took my Burro off the frame and its shell is now on blocks. Also, the frame is at a welding shop for some extra angle (i'm stealing your frame design). I'm currently scraping out the lip around the inside where the new wood will fit into. My question is: How clean did you get the parts that you fiberglassed (like the lip and the inside edge)? And, what did you use to clean it? I'm concerned about the new fiberglass not adhering to the old...
Thanks, Andy and Jane!
-Creek
Creek,
I cleaned out the slot around the Burro perimeter with a chisel and the Harbor Freight version of the vibrating multi tool. After fitting the floor pieces they were coated with several coats of epoxy, each coat added when the previous one was still tacky for best adhesion. When the final coat had hardened I sanded the areas to be bonded with very very coarse sandpaper, both the floor pieces and inside the slot around the perimeter. The only cleaning was blowing it with compressed air prior to assembling. I coated all surfaces inside the slot and the floor surfaces that fit in the slot with thickened epoxy, enough so it oozed out at assembly and left no air spaces in the slot

I would not recommend cleaning it with a household cleaner since they usually contain soap that would be left on the surface and could cause bond failure at some future time. If you want to wipe it down, acetone will not leave a residue. Coarse sanding will leave a rough surface and significantly increase bond strength. Blowing or brushing off the sanding particles is all the cleaning needed.
Andy

Old 05-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #73

Trailer: Burro&Bambi
The rinse cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
Creek,
I would not recommend cleaning it with a household cleaner since they usually contain soap that would be left on the surface and could cause bond failure at some future time. If you want to wipe it down, acetone will not leave a residue. Coarse sanding will leave a rough surface and significantly increase bond strength. Blowing or brushing off the sanding particles is all the cleaning needed.
Andy
Guess it's a good thing that after the initial cleaning I used another rag with clean water and rinsed all the area that I had just washed.
jd
Old 05-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #74

Name: Creek
Texas
This floor is a NIGHTMARE! Especially since I am now concerned about the door fitting correctly... I have the rear section in, and also the front. I measured for the two middle pieces (8 times) and the I cut them and placed them into the shell, AND, I am an inch off. So, tomorrow I will be heading to the lumber yard to buy another sheet of plywood. I CANNOT WAIT to be finished with the floor fitting. UGH!
Any suggestions of the door fitting correctly? Thanks!

-Creek
Old 05-05-2012, 06:54 AM   #75

Nightmare revisited

Creek,

I know your pain!! When I did the 2 center pieces of my floor I cut them a bit big on purpose. Even with that it still took several trimming sessions. In earlier pictures I lifted the pieces with a jack and that is how I did my final fitting. I put in one end of the board and lifted it up to check and mark the other for the fit. Do you have the body braced in some way so it won't flex? That will throw you off quite a bit or it did mine. Everything would change when I slid in the front piece so I put a strap all way around and blocked the door opening.

As for the door, I have problems too but haven't touched it yet. Mine had some kind of weird hinges on it and 2 sets of holes. Plus whatever is back there that holds them is rotten as well. From what I read here I'll have to cut holes in the body and put in something new for them to attach to.

Hang in there and pump up your patience level with fitting that floor. I was ready to set mine on fire for awhile but it will come around. As I said before nothing about these things is square, straight or standard. Go with that theory and I think you'll be fine. JD
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05038.JPG  
Old 05-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane D. View Post
Creek,
Everything would change when I slid in the front piece so I put a strap all way around and blocked the door opening.
JD
Jane,
Very nice... I like the way you used the struts to hold the doorway open the correct amount and the strap to pull it closed. That will keep the body stable until the floor is installed.

Andy
Old 05-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #77

Name: Creek
Texas
Thanks, Jane. Great picture by the way! I now have the floor pieces cut (correctly) and the first coat of epoxy resin on them. Next is the fiberglass, then placing the new floor back in the caravan for tape. I should be ready to place the shell on the trailer by the weekend... YES!
I'll try to post pictures by the end of the weekend as well.
Keep up the good work, Jane!
-Creek
Old 05-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #78

Tearing it Up

Creek,

If you get that thing back together that quickly you are doing some serious work! Glad the floor pieces finally worked. I did install the 3rd piece on mine today and plan on doing the last piece tomorrow. Then gotta get all the underneath taping done. No way I'll have mine back on the frame before sometime next week. Can't work on it every day.

Make sure you take your camera with you next time, I'm waiting to see those pictures. I'm one of those people that really "gets it" better if I can see it. I guess I must think everyone is like that, thus I post a picture when it applies.

Best of luck for getting that body back where it belongs by the weekend. That's great. JD
Old 05-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #79

Bearing Its Own Weight Again

Finally, at long last, I got the frame back under the Burro today and started putting in the bolts. What a relief. Next, the poor messed up door.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05141.JPG   DSC05143.JPG  

Old 05-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #80

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Jane, you really ARE making good progress. GOOD FOR YOU!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #81

Quote:
Finally, at long last, I got the frame back under the Burro today and started putting in the bolts. What a relief. Next, the poor messed up door.
Looks good Jane! Did you fiberglass the edges of the floor on the outside? If you did then you know the fun of applying it overhead.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #82

Every Square Inch

Andy,

You can't really see it in the photo but there is no place on the bottom or edges that is not covered with the fiberglass cloth, epoxy or both. And yes, it was a bunch of fun taping the seams of the floor, all of it overhead of course. I kept my head covered but still managed to get a couple small spots of epoxy in my hair. Now that was loads of fun to get out...

So glad all that floor business is almost totally complete. Just a few more bolts to install. Now if only the dreaded door fix was figured out and done. jd
Old 05-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #83

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Now if only the dreaded door fix was figured out and done. jd
You'll figure it out Jane, we have confidence in you... and you will, of course, document everything with pictures for those that need to do the same thing in the future!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:01 AM   #84

Door Mess

Thanks for the vote of confidence Donna. I hope I can come up with a solution that does not involve reinventing the wheel. Sure would have been nice if all it needed was the new hinges that I bought for it.

When I brainstorm a solution I'll be sure to post it and share some pictures. It's messed up all around and has been for a long time from the looks of it. As you can see I've got my work cut out for me. If anyone has any ideas please don't be shy!!

This is the top hinge, the bottom one broke off.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05144.JPG   DSC05147.JPG  

Tags
burro