Oil Bath Bearing Lube - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2009, 06:34 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Ran across this on another RV group:

http://kodiaktrailer.com/catalog/product_i...44fd748e5f26d39

Apparently only comes in sizes for 3,500 and 6,000 lb axles, so only good for 16'/17'/19', etc. axles (Most 13' have hub for 2,200 lb axle).

Bearing Buddy sees it as competition for their boat trailer lube system:

http://www.bearingbuddy.com/best.html
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
I seen them on Northern Hydraulics also. I would like to try them. Makes sense so long as they don't leak.
Randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:19 AM   #3

If they had them in my hub size, I'd give them a try -- At about $40 they cost less than a repack at a garage -- Need to keep a close eye on them because bearings would fail fast if there was a big leak, like banging the hub against something (I have occasionally seen the Bearing Buddy gizmos in the road, so there is some danger of that) -- I dunno if it's needed to use their oil; I've seen it mentioned that 90W gear oil is OK -- I'd be inclined to use a synthetic gear oil, but one thing about the regular stuf is that it stinks to me, so a small leak would be noticeable!).
Old 04-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Oil lube hubs are very common, and more reliable than you might think. We run them on the front of all our busses and have had very little failures. I've only seen 2 inner seal failures in 6 years on a fleet of 15 busses. 1 of those failures was the original seal that was older than 8 years. Most of these systems have a provision to drain, and refill. We change the hub oil annually, and we run a 75w/90 synthetic gear lube. The product we run has just as much of a smell as the old standby 80w/90. Bearing life??? I haven't had to replace a single bearing on any of our busses yet.
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Ran across this on another RV group:

http://kodiaktrailer.com/catalog/product_i...44fd748e5f26d39

Apparently only comes in sizes for 3,500 and 6,000 lb axles, so only good for 16'/17'/19', etc. axles (Most 13' have hub for 2,200 lb axle).

Bearing Buddy sees it as competition for their boat trailer lube system:

http://www.bearingbuddy.com/best.html
Pete..... That Kodiak link won't work for me and like dan says they are very common on commercial vehicles. I drove semi's for thirty years and all the trailers use oil filled hubs and all the steering tires on the tractor use them also and in all those years they worked very well and if it did get a leak you would know because you could smell it when you stopped or just the fact of oil on everything on the rim... I've seen maybe one or two break in all those years and without a doubt if i could get it for my casita with the 3500lb axle i would do it as you don't have to worry about it like you do with grease drying out and not lubricating.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
We have a pole trailer at work that has a 10,000# axle on it. It has the oiled bearings and in 15 years of very hard use it has never leaked or failed. Knock on wood!

I have wonderd why none for RV's, then a month ago or so, I seen them in Northern, but hadn't looked into it. I am like you Pete, our little RV's are quite a bit more fragile than a huge pole trailer.
Randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:00 PM   #7

Here's a different version, with the complete hub, but apparently intended for small trailers without brakes, because they don't offer a braked hub, just idlers. Has a triple-lipped seal with it.

http://www.boatbandit.com/detail.aspx?ID=4891

Here's a better link to the first system, one for 3,500 lb axle and one for 6,000 lb axle. Just the hub cap, oil and the seal.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...21700_200321700

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...21702_200321702

They can be found for less. The Turbo hubs gave a range of oil specs, but recommend 50W synthetic gear oil.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #8

Pete....
Thanks for the links and the one link on the 3500 lb axle from Northern Tool.... do you think that kit would work with having brakes on the trailer like casita has?______
I am probably going to give them a call but i just wanted to hear your take first on this.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...21700_200321700

Joe

Update: I just called norther tools and they said "Yes" the oil kit can be used with brakes on the 3500lb axle.
Now I have to go outside and measure the hub on my 3500# updated axle on my casita and see if it's 1.980 " What do you think that 1.980 means?____maybe width across?____
Joe
Old 04-09-2009, 02:14 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
What do you think that 1.980 means?____maybe width across?____
Joe
Hi Joe,

I believe that 1.980" is inside diameter of the opening where hub cap goes in.

I wander if you asked them how they sealed the hub to hub cap interface which would need to good enough to prevent oil leak. This metal to metal interface is designed for grease lube. I really like this concept and will consider to put them on my trailer.

George.

I just talk to Kodiak and was told:
  • Hub to hub cap interface is sealed with included red thread-lock, I am not certain how well will it work; thread-lock is not a sealant.
  • Included seals will work with 1.72” dia. spindles which are often but not always on 3500lb axles. These seals will not work with 1.68” spindles.
  • They have no experience with using their Prolube XL on drum brakes, only on their disk brakes.
  • They don’t have installation manual to share.

In order to know for sure what diameter spindle I have hub removal is likely necessary, I will wait.

George.

GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:30 PM   #10

george.... I'm with you as i really don't want to remove my hub right now as i just had the bearings packed but i am very interested in this. really easy to just look at the clear hub to see if it has oil. I usually did 500 to 700 miles a day and never had problems on the semi tractor...... some of the older semi trailer would leak sometimes (very rarely) on the inside so a visual look every now and then on the inside of the tire would be in order.
Joe
Old 04-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #11

If you have a spare seal (which you most certainly should have, along with spare bearings, cap, cotter pin and crown nut), you can look at it or research the number with google or auto parts store to find the spindle shoulder size. I don't know enough about the larger axles to know if the inner bearing size is related to the spindle shoulder size.

The Dexter literature will have the seal size if not a spec on the spindle, presuming you have Dexter axles. Al-Ko should have likewise.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
If you have a spare seal (which you most certainly should have, along with spare bearings, cap, cotter pin and crown nut)......................
I actually don’t have spares so thank you for the reminder, one more “to do” item. I will need to find out what Bigfoot used on their double axle trailers. The trailer is too new to work on wheel bearings. I was looking on the Dexter site and found their caution about using oil lubed hubs if a trailer stands for extended periods of time. Oil drains down to the bottom of the bearing leaving upper bearing vulnerable for corrosion.

See_bottom_of_page_3

George.

GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:53 PM   #13

Good advice....I know i should have it but i don't LOL..just gave myself a note to get a complete bearing set.
Joe
Old 04-10-2009, 02:09 PM   #14

Regarding the Dexter cartridge bearings (a different system than the hub oil bath systems), I *personally* find it doubtful that a bearing that was oiled when put up would lose enough oil to corrode during one winter storage, so I wouldn't be concerned with that warning.

One drawback to the Dexter system is that a bearing press is required to change the bearing cartridge, so it's not a roadside repair or typical home repair if one starts running warm or hot. However, I sure wish they were available for my small axle!