ok to level with (built-in) rear jacks, for winterizing? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #15

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I never said to put them under the bumper. I said you aren't going to pretzel the FRAME if put them at the back. I stand by that. The scamp part you posted says you can put them at the rear.

I can't watch the video as my 5 week old computer went up in smoke.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #16

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
That should take the pressure off.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #17

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I don't think that trailer manuals are intended to tell you everything your are NOT supposed to do. Omitting something, isn't the same as giving an Okey-Dokey.

It seems to me that something that is called a "Stabilizing Jack" is not a lifting jack, nor is the point where it is attacted a lifting point. Although I don't have enough down time in our California winters to worry about winterizing or unloding tires, if I did want to do that, I would opt to lift at the axles and support the frame with suitable blocks or heavy duty stands.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #18

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Perhaps if we called them by their correct name there'd be less confusion.

Those are stabilizers, not jacks. They're meant only to stabilize an already-situated trailer. While small adjustments can be made, they're not designed for lifting.

That having been said:
There's no reason whatever to deploy stabilizers in storage- their only purpose is user comfort, and since no one's going to be using it...

Also:
Trailer tires on a unit that's going to be stationary for some time should be fully inflated so as to prevent the malformation called "cupping", a major problem with rubber tires left standing underinflated.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #19

Kansas
I agree with not using the rear jacks for lifting. However, I don't agree for a second that throwing a jack stand under the rear of the frame is going to taco the camper.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:51 AM   #20

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
As far as not deploying stabilizers when the trailer is in storage there is a little bit of risk to that should you forget they are not down and decide to go into the trailer and do some work on it. Had a friend go into her trailer without the jacks down and while stowing some items in the rear hatch the back end of the trailer dropped. Not a good thing.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:27 AM   #21

Kansas
True, but that's why I would put it on jack stands.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:38 AM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We carry a small 6 ton bottle jack. When we had a previous trailer sitting for the winter we used the bottle jack to lift it and used four cinder blocks to reduce the load on the tires. The cinder blocks sit under the frame.

The bottle jack is handy to have when we travel, is relatively small and comes in it's own plastic case.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #23

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Figuring it was best to go the source, I popped an email to my contact up in Backus and got this back:

Quote:
Some type of support can be placed under the axle beam or the beams of the trailer on each side. Or, you can use the rear bumper jacks and the front jack. Wheels donít have to be all the way off the ground, just need the pressure released off the axle.
So there we have it... the bumpers and front jack work fine.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #24

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusedlight View Post
Figuring it was best to go the source, I popped an email to my contact up in Backus and got this back:

So there we have it... the bumpers and front jack work fine.
Oh great.

Now we can't speculate endlessly with more opinions than facts..
Old 11-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #25

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Oh great.

Now we can't speculate endlessly with more opinions than facts..
Why not?

Absent some kind of attribution/link, the "contact up in Backus" is what one might call "ephemeral"...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #26

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
The fact is that the retractable bumper-mounted stabilizers will provide THE FUNCTION BUT NOT THE CAPACITY of jacks if the supplied handle is deployed. Now that the device has been annointed for relieving pressure on a torsion arm with wheel and tire installed, someone somewhere will decide they can be used in another common jacking operation which is currently verboten. Don't think so? Wait and see? I have no quarrel with the idea that the physical limits which result in "pretzel-ing" and "taco-ing" will not be reached; my opinion is that maximizing the length of a load-carrying beam maximizes deflection; minimizing it minimizes deflection. Personally, I'd rather see a pier in the middle of the span. OMO. Incidentally, not all of us have Scamps or Scamp frames, so might pay to get on the horn to your own expert.

jack
Old 11-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #27

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Why not?

Absent some kind of attribution/link, the "contact up in Backus" is what one might call "ephemeral"...

Francesca
A service employee at Scamp that I've worked with in the past. As in "An Official Response From Scamp" kind of person. Enough attribution for you?
Old 11-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #28

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Why not?

Francesca
We want names, dates, degrees, certifications, fingerprints, DNA evidence, stress analysis calculations, load deflection curves, metal fatigue analysis, and 8x10 color glossies with a date on the back of each one.