ok to level with (built-in) rear jacks, for winterizing? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #41

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hummm, I have no dog in this fight, but wish I could find the picture that was posted of a 1990s Scamp with a twisted frame because someone tried to lift it from the rear bumper. I'll have to look some more, it may have been posted pre-hack. Sigh.
Pretty sure Brian P? once indicated (a couple of years ago) that when he jacked up the trailer from outside the undercarriage area - if I recall correctly he had the jacks under the bumper area & as a result he couldnt close the trailers door. I think he had a Boler though. May have been on the same thread that someone else mention having over cranked the rear stabilizers on a newer Casita and had the same result. Both parties if I recall correctly felt it was a clear indication of the frame twisting/bending.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #42

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry

Are we still talking about lifting the trailer with its stabilizers?

If so, I offer the following quote from
RV Tow Tips, How to tow RV, RV Towing, RV Tow Guide, Guide RV Towing
Quote:
Warning: Do not attempt to use the stabilizer jacks to raise or lower the trailer, or use to support the total weight of your trailer. The jacks are only meant to stabilize your trailer in a level position. Attempting to raise the trailer by use of the stabilizer jack can cause damage to the jack, trailer frame, or both.
Many other reliable sources prolly available in case anyone cares to look...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #43

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
....... Both parties if I recall correctly felt it was a clear indication of the frame twisting/bending.
I'd think that frame twisting is more likely than bending, given most trailer frame designs. The open C channel or angle iron longitudinal rails don't have much torsional strength.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #44

Name: Drew
Trailer: 1975 ventura 400 towed by a jeep grand cherokee sometimes, and an ugly 89 dodge truck other times.
Alberta
Registry
A trailer shouldn't bend when you jack it by the bumper, but why take the chance? Also, many of our trailers are 10-40 years old. So they're corroded and fatigued, to the point where they aren't as strong as a new one. Better safe than broken.
streetvan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:52 AM   #45

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Pretty sure Brian P? once indicated (a couple of years ago) that when he jacked up the trailer from outside the undercarriage area - if I recall correctly he had the jacks under the bumper area & as a result he couldnt close the trailers door. I think he had a Boler though.
The above may be a reference to one of these posts:
Keeping Door shut while traveling? Trillium 4500 - post #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The only issue I have had with body flex due to frame bending has been when I have transferred too much load to rear stabilizer stands, bending the body up at the ends and causing the door to stick (latch jamming, not letting go).
rear stabilizing jacks - post #14
Quote:
With my B1700 (which has 2" wide 4" high 1/8" thick box-section frame rails), I found that I can support it entirely at the ends of the frame, suspension hanging in the air, but it bends just enough that the door does not fit properly; put the load back on the suspension, and it flexes back to normal.
If anyone is referring to these posts, please note that:
  1. in this case I had the wheels entirely off the ground, which is very different from just relieving some of the suspension load
  2. the trailer is indeed a Boler - a 17-foot B1700 - not the same as the original subject of this thread
  3. I did have the supporting jacks right back at the bumper, although under the frame, not the bumper itself
  4. the bend in the frame was so slight that it was not visually obvious (and I was working under the trailer); I have no concern with my trailer's structure in this situation
  5. I did not lift the trailer with stabilizing jacks - I lowered the tongue, placed jacks under the back, then raised the front... so the jacks under the back were not moved while supporting load (a technique which can be used with any stabilizer jack).

The full text of the second post (linked above) also has substantial additional information, which I think is relevant and of some value, but of course I'm biased.

If either of these are the post to which Carol was referring: good memory - these posts are from 6 and 5-1/2 years ago.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #46

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
If either of these are the post to which Carol was referring: good memory - these posts are from 6 and 5-1/2 years ago.
Yup those are them! Thanks for finding them. That long ago? My how time flys!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote